Ok am I going mental? I am just not getting this at all.

Options
I joined MFP in May, Changed my entire eating habits and took all the advise I was givin. Upped my work outs and counted every single calorie, carb,sugar, etc. I lost 2 pounds in 2 weeks which isn't rare for me I can lose 5 lbs but it always comes back (I think it's muscle) I measured myself every week and never lost an inch, anywhere. As you can imagine I was really discouraged. I dont have a ton to lose and I am technically a "healthy" weight but I want to fit into my pre pregnancy clothes.

ANYWAYS. So after a month of absolutely nothing I kind of just gave up. Still did my workouts but I ate whatever I wanted yea buddy, oeros cakes/cupcakes things of that nature and bam I lose 2 pounds in a week and then another pound and another and another. I never tracked it on here because I figured it'd just come right back but it hasn't.

Can someone explain this to me?

Replies

• evonday
    evonday Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You might have been eating too little and put yourself into starvation mode? The smaller you get, the smaller the caloric deficiency you can healthily maintain. Maybe eating more was the answer. What was your calorie limit before?
  • acave9406
    acave9406 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You might have been eating too little and put yourself into starvation mode? The smaller you get, the smaller the caloric deficiency you can healthily maintain. Maybe eating more was the answer. What was your calorie limit before?

I made sure after all my workouts and such I was still at atleast 1200
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is all about how many calories you eat vs how many you burn, not about what you eat. You might be a "healthy" weight but you proabably won't actually be healthy for long eating all those sweets.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    SOmetimes your body actually needs the "bad fats" if you suddenly cut your diet changed your eating habits, when you were previously eating the "bad foods" your body may have gone wonky. Given healthy foods is obviously the best route, but sometimes your body DOES need processed, simple sugars
  • acave9406
    Options
    Losing weight is all about how many calories you eat vs how many you burn, not about what you eat. You might be a "healthy" weight but you proabably won't actually be healthy for long eating all those sweets.

I know thats why i'm so baffled. I ate just as many calories before except with healthy food and never lost anything so I dont understand how I could lose any now.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you weren't eating enough when you were counting? I hear that happens to a lot if people. Happened to me a few months in. I had lost about 20 then pleateaued, and didn't start losing again until I started eating a little more.
  • evonday
    evonday Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Maybe try upping it to ~1300-1500 cals for a couple of weeks and see if anything changes?
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • acave9406
    Options
    SOmetimes your body actually needs the "bad fats" if you suddenly cut your diet changed your eating habits, when you were previously eating the "bad foods" your body may have gone wonky. Given healthy foods is obviously the best route, but sometimes your body DOES need processed, simple sugars

I'm just expecting it all to come back at me and smack me in the face for eating all of that.
  • acave9406
    Options

Maybe try upping it to ~1300-1500 cals for a couple of weeks and see if anything changes?

Well that was my problem int he first place, I'm never hungry and for me to reach 1200 is extremely difficult. Even with me eating all these sweets I'm still just barely making the 1200 limit.
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP in May, Changed my entire eating habits and took all the advise I was givin. Upped my work outs and counted every single calorie, carb,sugar, etc. I lost 2 pounds in 2 weeks which isn't rare for me I can lose 5 lbs but it always comes back (I think it's muscle) I measured myself every week and never lost an inch, anywhere. As you can imagine I was really discouraged. I dont have a ton to lose and I am technically a "healthy" weight but I want to fit into my pre pregnancy clothes.

ANYWAYS. So after a month of absolutely nothing I kind of just gave up. Still did my workouts but I ate whatever I wanted yea buddy, oeros cakes/cupcakes things of that nature and bam I lose 2 pounds in a week and then another pound and another and another. I never tracked it on here because I figured it'd just come right back but it hasn't.

If you can eat oreos and lose weight, it is possible that God just likes you.
  • acave9406
    Options

hahaha! Guess I should feel blessed.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    This may help, it may not, but google, Why the Scale Lies.

Without knowing your exact diet it is hard to know what is going on. If you could give us an average day or start logging in again with what you eat and what you burn that would be very helpful. If you do that and compare yourself to what you have been doing, you might see what your doing also.
  • WinterWedding2013
    Options

hhahahahahahah
  • acave9406
    Options
    This may help, it may not, but google, Why the Scale Lies.

Without knowing your exact diet it is hard to know what is going on. If you could give us an average day or start logging in again with what you eat and what you burn that would be very helpful. If you do that and compare yourself to what you have been doing, you might see what your doing also.

Average day.
    Breakfast- 1 high protein Boost chocolate shake, and a banana

Snack- Plain greek yogart

Lunch- Bowl of plain cheerios with whole milk

Snack- Special K vanilla bar

Dinner- 1 baked potato with butter or homemade spaghetti with ragu traditional sauce.

I am an extremely picky eater, ^ is just my favorite things to eat and for the most part it's the same thing very day.
    Calories are usually 1500-1600 and I work out just enough so that the calories are exactly 1200 at the end of the day.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    5lbs losing and gaining is not muscle; that's got to be water weight.

Also, if you don't have a lot to lose, it can take a long time to lose just a few pounds, so hang in there!

What does your average day look like, diet- and exercise-wise? EDIT: need portion size/ calorie count too (for greek yogurt, for example... are you eating one cup, or a big bowl?)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Well that was my problem int he first place, I'm never hungry and for me to reach 1200 is extremely difficult. Even with me eating all these sweets I'm still just barely making the 1200 limit.

Yes, that seems to be what everyone is thinking, it would appear that you weren't eating enough calories and definitely not eating back your work out calories. If you're haveing a difficult time getting to your appropriate calories add snacks that are packed with healthy fats and calories (hummus, avocado, nuts) or cook with olive oil. To lose weight you have to get that calorie intake up to a reasonable level.
  • randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    Options

I disagree! There are numerous fitness experts who can attest to the fact that 80 percent of your weight loss program should be focused on what you put into your mouth: Nutrition. Nutrition is far more responsible for creating your shape and your health. The other 20% is part genetics and fitness training (regular exercise).
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    What I see in your diet:
    no whole grains
    no vegetables
    limited fruit
    limited natural sources of protein
    limited raw or whole sources of nutrients

You need to retrain your body to eat and your palate to accept foods even if you don't like them.