Do you think it's harder to go to the gym in the summer?

Options
So I've noticed, at my gym anyways, that more people show up in the summer than in the winter. I'm just the opposite! If it's cold out I'm fine going and getting my sweat on, but when it's hot out I don't want to move!!! And I grew up on a farm so I've been working in the heat my whole life. But I am not very motivated to hit up the gym and sweat when I know I'm going to be walking out into 100 degree weather. What time of the year do you work out best?

Replies

• v_addison
    v_addison Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I hate going to the gym in Summer. I'm from Manitoba, if it's finally nice outside, I want to be outside. So I basically just move my workout outdoors. Yard work, biking and walking.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    defiantelty... heat makes me lazy
  • jpanderson9
    jpanderson9 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym in summer! I started swimming due to an ankle injury in Feb. and I'm a convert! You leave the pool tired, clean and not sweaty. It actually helps me handle the heat better.
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Only time I go in the summer is when the heat index makes outside risky. Otherwise I'd much rather be outside. The winters are too long in MN.
  • kieva626
    kieva626 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    the heat makes me extra lazy and I have no desire to be inside a gym when I could be outside burning calories. I'm an outdoors chick I always want to be outside!!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the exact opposite at my gym, as soon as it got nice out the population droped like a rock! I live in Alaska so the winters are super long and cold but the summers have almost 24 hours of daylight so there is a lot of time to do stuff.
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the exact opposite at my gym, as soon as it got nice out the population droped like a rock! I live in Alaska so the winters are super long and cold but the summers have almost 24 hours of daylight so there is a lot of time to do stuff.

Oh yea if I lived in Alaska I'd definitely be outside in the summer!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Extreme heat makes me lazy too! It's funny because I never thought of it that way, but it totally does. I just want to sit in the backyard/on the beach and read a good book...

I live in New England so the only option in the winter for consistent exercise is the gym, so by default, it's easier to go in the winter. In the summer, as long as it's not too hot/humid, I'd much rather be outside.
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think a huge part of being healthy is finding yourself, I think a key element to finding yourself is being one with nature. The summer is the best time to be one with nature, so I say everyone should get their butts outside.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I work out an home more in the summer. DD is home and is told old to go to the very babyish kids area at the gym and she's too young to leave at home.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I'm a workout inside in the winter, workout outside in the summer kind of girl! I love sunshine so whenever I can be out in it, I am! I love to do exercises outdoors. :smile:
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be outside, but my bum knees don't even like walking these days. The elliptical is no trouble, however, so that's what I have to do. My problem with the gym in summer is that I get too hot wearing a jacket cover up and without I have nowhere to put my keys and my iPhone when I do weights. I need to get an arm band thingy and maybe invest in pants with some pockets!
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym everyday over my lunch hour and have already
    noticed a drop in the number of folks now that its summer.

I think it may have more to do with folks filling up the schedule
    with other activities rather than doing more outdoor exercise instead
    of heading into the gym.

Now that I'm training for another 5K, I would like to do more running
    outside but in the afternoon it's just too warm. I may try to get a run
    in on the weekends from home in the mornings before it warms up.