Chinese food treat

Options
2»

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    No, we don't. We have beef with green pepper and black bean sauce, which is awesome and maybe similar?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Chinese food is definitely not what I'd choose if I wanted to go with a lower calorie option. A steakhouse? Maybe. Low cal chinese dishes are steamed veg, chicken, and soy sauce. Snooze.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Have a fortune cookie and run a mile.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Where are you, OP? Chinese takeaway options vary massively from one country to another. Chicken with broccoli and chicken with snow peas are American Chinese restaurant standards, but don't exist here in the UK, for example. If you haven't heard of snow peas, I'm guessing you're not in the USA, so these suggestions won't work for you.

(we don't have "General Tso's Chicken" either - what even IS that?)

There is an interesting documentary called "In search of General Tso" about the origins of that dish. It is very interesting. The version that we eat in America is nothing like the original dish developed by a chef in what is now Taewon. (They actually interviewed that chef in the documentary.)

American Chinese takeout was developed by Chinese immigrants to appeal to the American palette. The biggest difference is, of course, a good deal more breaded and fried items, and a much more liberal use of sugar.

I'm not one of those "sugar is the devil" apologists; but the added sugar and fried bread really increases the calories.

OP you might want to check out PF Changs nutritional information in order to get a sense of the calorie content of various types of Chinese dishes.
  • lisaseager45
    lisaseager45 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Hmmmmm. Might have a curry instead lol ;-)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Mmm, curry. Enjoy it, whatever you end up having!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I purchased the frozen PF Chang Mongolian style chicken and added my own vegetables to it last night. It was ok, but I found it a bit salty. Per the package, the serving was 300 calories, there are 2 servings per bag. I will be honest, there wasn't much chicken in there. I wont purchase again.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    OP - for a UK option I would pick something like King Prawn with Green Pepper in Black Bean sauce and boiled rice. The peppers and onions bulk it out, the prawns are good protein at low-ish calories and the sauce isn't too sugary or heavy.

For a curry I have a veg jalfrezi with plain rice and a couple of poppadums and budget about a 1000-1200 calories for that depending on if I plan to eat it all!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I never eat Chinese anymore....not because of the calories. We moved and the all the places near me suck. Just horribly bad....and the one place I swear has never changed the oil in their fryer. You can smell it from the street. I need to make a 30 minute trip out of the area and go to http://thecrownery.com/wp/take-out-menu/ They also have a special menu for local Chinese people...or just locals who know about it with more authentic stuff.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Chinese food is definitely not what I'd choose if I wanted to go with a lower calorie option. A steakhouse? Maybe. Low cal chinese dishes are steamed veg, chicken, and soy sauce. Snooze.

That's what I've ordered for 20 years - plain steamed chicken and broccoli. When my family gets takeout, I get it and do a super quick spicy peanut sauce with peanut flour, some sriracha, and tamari. Makes it much more palatable!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

That's what I've ordered for 20 years - plain steamed chicken and broccoli. When my family gets takeout, I get it and do a super quick spicy peanut sauce with peanut flour, some sriracha, and tamari. Makes it much more palatable!

I get it when I need to. I would not specifically choose Chinese food for a special treat and then try to order the lowest calorie option though.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    We're really lucky around here because there is a big Chinese community and some amazing restaurants if you know where to look - both westernised and the real deal. Several with two menus, which is nice, because you can go out with a mixed group, some who want more authentic Chinese food and others who want the comfort food, and everyone's happy.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    steamed chicken...I just can't. The texture....
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I order beef or chicken chow mein, dry......without lashings of sauce. Its stirfried in oil but not loads. I prefer it crunchy anyway and not sodden down with sauce. Iv no idea of calories but I usually guess at around 800 calories and its a big plateful, could be more, and probably is but its a treat, not something Id have more than once a week and iv not had a gain except when I went on holiday. Probably loaded with salt but I pay little attention to nutrients unless its calories and fat. Works for me and its delicious too.