Ankle weights/ wrist weights

Options
Good morning/ afternoon lovely people!!!

I love walking or getting on the exercise bike each day and i'm now staring my journey on losing 2-3 stone over the next 9-12 months!!!

Has anyone or does anyone use ankle / wrist weights to help them lose weight and build more muscle?

If so how did you find it?
Pros and cone of doing this?

Thank you in advance xxx

Hope you have a amazing day!!!!

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You mean to wear while walking? Having weights hanging off the extremities isn't great, it can really hurt the joints further up the limbs. Can be useful for some Pilates style conditioning but I wouldn't wear them walking. A weighted vest/backpack would be better to evenly distribute the weight but no, it's not going to have much impact on muscle gains, just conditioning. To gain muscle (and beyond newbie gains) you need to be eating close to, at or above maintenance and doing progressive resistance training, either body weight, weighted or lifting heavy.
  • LJATilly
    LJATilly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!!

I'll stick to my backpack on walks
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    Ankle and wrist weights shouldn't be used to provide resistance for daily movements like walking or running. Maybe be used for things like leg lifts (which don't affect the ankle joint) and straight arm circles (which doesnt' affect the wrist).
    Honestly, if you're looking to tone up muscle, use correct weight equipment along with exercises that utilize that equipment.
    Weight loss is about calories in/out, so your intake is going to be what dictates how you lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Will131power
    Will131power Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    They make weighted vests. Some you can adjust the weight of.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    weighted vest or add some weight to you backpack. It's especially good if you add the weight you have lost to your backpack. You are already used to carrying it.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    I've got ankle weights, weighted gloves and an (up to) 75# weighted vest.

Ankle weights can be useful for general conditioning (walking/running) and for additional resistance in certain body weight exercises (such as leg lifts or dips). The gloves aren't good for much of anything except shadow boxing. The vest is good for general conditioning by increasing resistance in activities requiring full body exertion, like walking, running hiking and/or sled pulling/pushing, but the vest is also good for providing additional resistance in pull-ups, chin-ups, and dips.