Hair loss

Options
So I have been limiting myself 1300 calories. I have lost almost 50 pounds in 4 month. I have noticed lately that I have been losing my hair more then normal. It isn't noticable but it is an issue. Does anyone else have this issue? If so what helps?

Replies

• tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Yeeeeea, it happened to me too. Start taking a multi-vitamin.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    So I have been limiting myself 1300 calories. I have lost almost 50 pounds in 4 month. I have noticed lately that I have been losing my hair more then normal. It isn't noticable but it is an issue. Does anyone else have this issue? If so what helps?

Are you on any meds? Some medication and lead to mild hair loss/thinning. Is that an extreme deficit for you? How much do you weigh? Do you exercise and not eat those calories back?

The only few times I've lost a little too much hair was when I was anorexic almost 8 years ago and now when I'm on a mood stabilizer. It's not bad now, just thinner.

Look into all that. If you feel you are eating enough and getting proper nutrition and are not on any meds which lead to hair thinning, I'd speak with a doctor.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You haven't been eating enough protein. What you see happening now has been building for the past six weeks. Increase and track your protein intake.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Are you anaemic?
  • biasuratyntyn
    biasuratyntyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    what are some causes of hair thinning / hair loss?
    thanks!!!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Low iron, low protein, low calorie, medication
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A body under stress will refocus it's energies to essential organs. Hair, nails, periods...non-essential.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You haven't been eating enough protein. What you see happening now has been building for the past six weeks. Increase and track your protein intake.

^ This. 50 lbs in 4 months is an average of just over 3 lbs per week for an extended period of time, which is very aggressive. Eat more in general, and as per above pay particular attention to eating more protein.
  • FabianMommy
    FabianMommy Posts: 78 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Probably your protein and calories are too low which is causing your hair loss, you could be low on iron ferritin too especially if you have been limiting red meat. See your doctor and request blood tests to include thyroid function and ferritin levels, a basic iron test won't be helpful for hair loss as it's ferritin stores that are the main factor for good hair growth. If it comes back your ferritin is too low then there is a med called Ferrograd C that you might be prescribed, the vitamin C helps absorption of the ferritin. You might need to specially request the ferritin test as a basic iron test won't show ferritin levels.

Hair loss often shows itself about 3 months or so after the triggering event, which in this case could well be your diet plan, so modify things to eat more and especially make sure to eat about 100 grams of lean protein for breakfast and lunch as that's when hair can make best use of these nutrients. Make sure you get enough carbs too and eat iron rich foods.

Shampoo hair daily if possible, a clean scalp is the best environment for new growth, if that's difficult then every other day at a minimum.

Don't expect a quick fix, we are looking at weeks or months before you might see an improvement but you will get there.

See your doctor as your first task, up your calories a bit and most definitely eat your protein for especially at breakfast and lunch, don't forget to add some carbs.

Unless there is a medical reason for such fast weight loss that your doctor recommends, then a bit slower is often better for hair as it doesn't stress the body so much.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I lose hair like crazy when my Vitamin D levels are too low. I start taking supplements, and voila, hair loss stops.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I suggest you go to a doctor to ensure that it's just thinning/shedding and NOT "hair loss" or alopecia which can be caused by underlying medical issues.

Generally shedding occurs due to a high level of stress (up to 3 months after a stressful event), poor nutrition (lacking more specifically VIT D, Iron, and B Vitamins), or environment (such as hot dry weather).
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    SEE A DOCTOR!!!!! I cannot scream this enough, and I would have lost my life if I did not get myself checked out when I did.

Around this time three years ago, I begun to experience very rapid and unexplained weight loss. Within a three-four month period, I went from 230ish to 155. I also was experiencing stuff like increased thirst and urination, severe fatigue, fruity-smelling breath (big warning sign that I ignored), and during the last few weeks severe hair loss. I went to my hair stylist on the night of November 6th, 2013, and she quickly noticed how much hair I lost and how easily it fell out (it was like you touch it, and clumps would fall out). She thought something was seriously wrong (she believed it was my thyroid) and urged me to get myself checked out at the local urgent care before they closed for the night. I'm lucky I followed her advice. After going to the urgent care, I had to be rushed to the emergency room (and subsequently ICU) for diabetic ketoacidosis and undiagnosed type 1 diabetes. Had I not seen her that night or followed her advice, the ketoacidosis would have certainly sent me into a coma or killed me within 24-48 hours.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Doctor. Please it can be explained by many things but some of those things are potentially very dangerous. Speaking from experience here.
  • Browneyedlady5
    Browneyedlady5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin, my nails look great. Just shedding mote hair than usual. Eat 1300 calories a day. Work out 5 times a week. Mostly running. Do take one med gor blood pressure but have been on for years.
  • Jesse2144
    Jesse2144 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    what are some causes of hair thinning / hair loss?
    thanks!!!

Hair loss is mostly caused by a combination of genetics and hormones( http://www.seagerhairtransplant.com/losing-hair/androgeneticalopecia/hormones/ ). The hair loss tends to slowly, steadily progress through fairly typical patterns but there can be cycles of faster and slower hair loss. Hair loss can be aggravated by other conditions like iron deficiency, thyroid disease, severe malnutrition and protein deficiency etc.