Off topic depression

Options
Does anyone suffer and how do you cope? I think mine is partly lonliness most my friend in relationships and I find it hard to meet anyone due to my depression I isolate x

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you sleeping at night and getting out during the day? Walking in the sunshine can help some people
  • danhib
    danhib Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It is a really hard thing. I don't even like going out with my friends. Just stick with my family more. The hard part is find something you enjoy like a hobby. Mine has always been drawing & lifting weights. If I don't do those things every so often I don't feel like me. Really wish I could help but don't think you are alone, there are lots of people on here that can help you it's a good community on here
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I tend to just suffer through the really, really low parts. I've found that no one wants to listen to me complain/cry/whine about my problems. If you find someone who is actually willing to help you, take them up on it. It's horrible to go through it alone.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I used to take antidepressants but slowly weened on those to different approaches as for me antidepressants only worked for so long and I didn't like the numb feeling or the other side effects. I know exercise at least an hour a day, I try hard to eat whole foods, and I get plenty of sleep. I also practice cognitive behavioral therapy which helps a lot. I think my depression is chemical, and find that taking 5-htp and getting enough fat and protien makes a HUGE difference.

OP - depression is different for everyone and you may hve to try a lot of stuff to find what works for you. Simple efforts you can make now are adequate nutrition, adequate sleep, and getting exercise (try walking an hour a day). If your depression persists or gets worse please see some one - don't let it go. Be open about what they recommend. If they suggest medication be open to that as well, but do plenty or research so you know what you are getting into. Read up on starting and stopping the medication - I recommend user forums to read the experiences other people have had.

It may sound silly, but when you wake up each morning think about five things in your life you are grateful for. They don't have to be big things, just positive. I've been so low that my list literally included things we take for granted like have a roof over my head and access to a working shower. So many people have it so much harder, and sometime it helps to consider how they manage and what they experience to be grateful for what you have.

Feel free to hit me up with questions. I have a lot of experience with battling depression but just posted quick generalities to keep the post shorter. I am so sorry you're dealing with this and hope you find something. Good luck!
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I keep having medication changes that do not help one bit.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi OP.

I have battled and survived over a decade of depression. The one thing that got me to a state of 'acceptance' was a consultant psychiatrist.

Depression is an evil beast. When you need people the most it can make people withdraw.

Please see if you can get a referral - it's not all pills, treatment has come a LONG way (unless you are in danger in which case you may be given medication to keep you safe).

You've taken a big step to even reach out on here. If you can connect online friends in the digital world count :) there's an app for meditation called Head space you may like and one called eMoods which is for bipolar mood tracking but I reccommend it for everyone as tracking and printing the logs and graphs it gives you gives you something to discuss with the doctor.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Find a local chess club and learn to play. Believe it or not, you will have something to do. You might even learn to love the life.
  • Jenpiddles
    Jenpiddles Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Exercise everyday, even if it's just a walk. Get enough sleep. Feed your body nutritious foods. Get a blood panel done and see if you are deficient in any vitamins or minerals, also have your thyroid checked. Any of those things can make you feel down.

I have used acupuncture in the past, and had amazing results with it.

If all else fails, talk with your doctor about medication if need be.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I found that working out worked best, or being outside in the world doing things like hiking. It made me feel so much better than any medication I ever tried.

Now that I can't work out like I used to I am considering talking to my doctor about going back on meds, at least for now.
  • dmiivanov
    dmiivanov Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You can try getting up early in the morning ( at sun rise) and just walking, for an hour. Make certain to.pick the most beautiful part of town for that purpose, and just focus on what you see. This simple thing has been shown to curb high cortisol in people who live stressful lives. Try doing that every day if you can.
    Oh, and if you do that on empty stomach, it's the most excellent fat burning tool you can find in all of fitness world.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts. I get up an hour early just to exercise. I puts my mind in another perspective. It makes me feel good both mentally and physically.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Small steps. Don't try to accomplish everything at once. Pick one or two of the following to do. Then once they become easier, add a couple more. And there may be days where you can't do ANY OF THEM, and that's ok. Just try again tomorrow.

-Get enough sleep
    -Go to sleep/wake up the same time every day
    -Eat the foods needed to create the precursors to neurochemicals
    -Significantly limit alcohol/other drugs
    -Limit caffeine
    -Walk a little every day
    -Join a gym
    -Find a group activity/sport (a physical activity) you think you might enjoy
    -Take up a craft/hobby other people do, too (a more sedate activity). Knitting, painting, ukulele, board games... then connect with people online around the world who share that interest
    -Work with your doctors
    -Limit the amount of time you spend with people who cause you stress
    -Limit the amount of stress in your life
    -Seek out meditative practices
    -Spend more time with the people/creatures who make you feel easy to love
    -Contribute to your community (volunteer, donate your skills, attend neighborhood meetings)
    -Maintain a stress-free physical environment (laundry put away, floors clean, tidy up)