How do you motivate

Options
Hello

Quick background, I'm in a wheelchair and can do very little exercise with a slow metabolism and on meds that make you hungry.

Now that being said, my brain is all there and I'm going to grad school. This past year I had to take a medical leave and I blew up from some of the meds a good 30 lbs. I would love to lose it all but I know that's not realistic. My goal is in 3 months to lose 15 lbs, but it's hard.

I've found my new weekness...nighttime eating. I have enough strength to transfer to my wheelchair and now I'm on the lose to get more food at night and regret it in the morning but in the middle of the night I'm not thinking straight, it's like it's not me. I just have to get food.

Aside from that I catch myself during the day a Hershey kiss here or there or small things that probably add up to another 100 calories when I am trying to stay between 1000-1200 and my medication alone because a lot of it need to be mixed into food like apple sauce or mid day I need a real snack because I can't have those meds on an empty stomach so that is around 200-300 depending on the day which really limits me. I feel like I don't have enough calories to work with and get frustrated because I'm sure in the hospital I was eating more and going back to tracking I just feel hungry. But I know my body and if I eat more than 1200 I gain, so time to start pulling all the low cal snacks out again. I think the other problem is my family is feeding me and too much making me leave food on the plate psychologically feeling like I didn't eat much

Sorry for the rant just having a hard time. It doesn't make all that much sense in my head at times so sorry if I didn't get it out clearly in writing

Replies

• willburpeeforcookie
    willburpeeforcookie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but I don't haha. Honestly the only thing that works for me is distraction. When I want to eat I do some sort of exercise or clean/reorganize something, read, shop online haha that's a bad one. But congrats on taking back control of your health, I can't imagine the struggles you face day to day, but you are in the right place for support! :)
  • Magic18
    Magic18 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot, is a long road but I hope to be stronger and healthier in the future and I know that means eating healthy and not all the comfort food make with good intentions for me. I just wish my family was on board. Distractions are a good idea and now that my muscles are strong enough to use my phone I suppose most of them will be on my phone. I also can do jigsaw puzzles as long as it's day time so that I am not put in bed, so that's a good day distraction. I also have my iPad and books so I think those and my phone will become nighttime distraction

Thanks for the words. I wrote my post knowing no one could cure me but that I could learn from others. I also liked another Idea I was told which was to drink water whenever I felt hungry. And 20 min after full glass see how you feel. So I'll keep a lot of water bedside :) haha now I'll have a new problem peeing all night.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of your health troubles. I hope you continue to get better!

For the distracted eating, since you are on a strict schedule due to meds and need to take them with food, then I'd say treat your food just like your meds: pre-planned, scheduled, and "dosed" in the correct amounts. Plan what you're going to eat and when and then forget it. If you reach for an "extra" like a Hershey's kiss then tell yourself you don't take "extra" meds, so you don't need extra food. Might be worth a try. Drinking water is always a good idea.

I'm sure your family has your best interest at heart but it's best to be straightforward with them and tell them you appreciate everything they do but for the sake of your health you are really focused on losing those extra pounds and then clearly define what they can do to help and what they do that doesn't help you. Good luck and read the forums here. Lots of good information.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    One of my fave lower calorie snacks while in season are strawberries/blackberries/blueberries! 100g is less than 40 calories and that's quite a bit of food. My hubs also likes to eat celery dipped in Frank's Red Hot sauce when he's craving wings but not the calories that go with them.