Now What?

Options
The last few weeks I have been doing the Paleo diet. This has been slowly transforming my relationship with food, and I stopped binge eating because no one wants to binge eat chicken or fruit.

Last night, I started eating all my emotions. I ate almost half a jar of almond butter, fried 3 eggs, half a package of macadamia nuts, and 2 Lara bars. It was all Paleo, so I wasn't breaking the rules that I wanted to stay within, but this morning I woke up feeling discouraged and a little embarrassed. I wasn't even hungry!

So my question is, "Now what?" I feel slightly proud of myself for not eating chocolate or anything like that...but how do you remain focused and motivated the morning after clearly ruining some of your hard work?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Choose a diet, any diet, that provides you with all the nutrition you need and doesn't trigger overeating.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    We all do it at some point and I don't think it's that you've chosen this Paleo diet that's made you binge eat as you said it was emotional eating. Have you actually logged what you ate? That way you know how much you went over and could maybe do some exercise to counter affect that. Best thing to do is just forget about it and move on and the next time you feel that urge to binge remember how you felt afterwards.
  • annie24342
    annie24342 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The Paleo diet has helped a lot with emotional eating since I'm usually so full from healthy foods. I didn't log and can't even remember portion sizes. I'm just worried im going to go back to my old mindset now that I feel like crap.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Overeating, even binging, will not "undo" your hard work. Look at that message at the end of the day when you log--"If EVERY day were like today..." You would have to binge more than once to ruin your work. Anyone with food issues is bound to go nuts once in a while. It's par for the course.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    literally nuts!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    It happens, don't beat yourself up for that, not that big of a deal being once in a while thing. It will be a problem if you start doing this often, so treat it like a small setback, exercise, and log in your food. Go back to minding what you're eating, and you'll be fine. Don't unravel because of that, and don't quit.
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    What was your trigger? Can you minimize it in the future? Treat this as a learning experience. Try to find an alternate thing to do when you feel a binge coming on.
  • annie24342
    annie24342 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This was very helpful. I am back on track.
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Positive thoughts your way. Mm mm.... Almond butter!!