Eating Creole food makes it impossible to lose weight

Options
How in the world can I eat clean if my palate is completely conditioned to New Orleans Creole food with EVERYTHING being highly seasoned?? I swear this food puts a spell on you lol

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:
    I like very spicy food and I lost 16 pounds. It is all eating at a deficit. Calories In, Calories Out (CICO).
    Enjoy your creole food (in moderation)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I love anything spicy but I eat within my daily goal! CICO
  • VeryApe80
    VeryApe80 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you burn more calories than you consume, then you will lose weight. If you sit on your *kitten* all the time, than you need to eat less, way less. You only need more calories if you workout hard or have a very active lifestyle.
  • VeryApe80
    VeryApe80 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You could eat garbage and still lose weight. Although it's better to eat healthy food, considering the fact that foods that are healthy have the nutrients your body needs. Unlike junk food.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You can still put spices on your foods. Actually this will make "clean foods" tolerable. IF you are talking about eating jambalaya, red beans and rice, etc.. you can still eat this, just less of it.

I am not sure why you think you have to eat this "clean" food diet to loose weight.

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as clean foods
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Eating TOO MUCH of any good makes it impusdible to lose weight. Portion control.
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as clean foods

Lies!! My carrots are not clean when pulled from my garden.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If smaller portions were not effective. Herbs and spices being high in salicylate could contribute to holding a higher weight. Most western general practitioners do not recognise this as a possible problem but they do know not to give aspirin based pain relief medications to asthmatics and accept in some other patients they can cause digestive problems including bleeding. I discovered my problem with salicylate after I realised, by accident, that not taking pain relief before exercise was more beneficial than taking it for pain in my joints following activity.

Salicylate is the active ingredient in aspirin and other products. Many plants use salicylate to protect themselves from moulds and mildews, for some of us this can build up and cause many different health problems unfortunately because our diet varies day to day and the effects are cumulative, in this situation it is not possible to define one dietary culprit many can be involved. Look up Finegold, his diet may help some. Anne Swane et al, did some good work giving many different foods a salicylate status. "Food can make you ill" a book and a web site, probably still will also had much information on this and other food related potential problems. Looking up, SalicylateSensitivity may also help.

Its all too complicated that even medics who do recognise this as an issue still do not know what sets some of us up with the problem because it is more toxic to us and not the general population. It was put to me that for some reason the "bucket", our systems should have, become over full and that is why we develop problems. (2014)

It is possible the key lies in our endocrine system. I have been generally doing better addressing my endocrine and digestive functions privately.
  • kymberkaye
    kymberkaye Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The roux will get you. Lol just blacken everything with cayenne. Thats what i do. If I make jambalaya i use turkey sausage and eat out of a small bowl.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    If smaller portions were not effective. Herbs and spices being high in salicylate could contribute to holding a higher weight. Most western general practitioners do not recognise this as a possible problem but they do know not to give aspirin based pain relief medications to asthmatics and accept in some other patients they can cause digestive problems including bleeding. I discovered my problem with salicylate after I realised, by accident, that not taking pain relief before exercise was more beneficial than taking it for pain in my joints following activity.

Salicylate is the active ingredient in aspirin and other products. Many plants use salicylate to protect themselves from moulds and mildews, for some of us this can build up and cause many different health problems unfortunately because our diet varies day to day and the effects are cumulative, in this situation it is not possible to define one dietary culprit many can be involved. Look up Finegold, his diet may help some. Anne Swane et al, did some good work giving many different foods a salicylate status. "Food can make you ill" a book and a web site, probably still will also had much information on this and other food related potential problems. Looking up, SalicylateSensitivity may also help.

Its all too complicated that even medics who do recognise this as an issue still do not know what sets some of us up with the problem because it is more toxic to us and not the general population. It was put to me that for some reason the "bucket", our systems should have, become over full and that is why we develop problems. (2014)

It is possible the key lies in our endocrine system. I have been generally doing better addressing my endocrine and digestive functions privately.

Actually most doctors and healthcare professionals know this, which is why they ask about active bleeding prior to giving aspirin to those they give it to for a cardiac event/prevention.

Just because YOU have an issue with aspirin does not mean others should avoid it.

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    eej9yhs5yog6.jpeg

Hope this helps!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Highly seasoned is considered un-clean? Well, I guess this is another one @diannethegeek can add to her list.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Highly seasoned is considered un-clean? Well, I guess this is another one @diannethegeek can add to her list.

We're getting pretty close to "clean" = "penitential", which IMHO is often the intended, if unstated, purpose.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,358 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    We're getting pretty close to "clean" = "penitential", which IMHO is often the intended, if unstated, purpose.

I read an article once - the basic idea was that as more and more people reject organized religion, food/eating has become our new "religion". I think it said that with a lack of a religion that tells them certain things are good or bad, those values (good and bad) are placed on certain eating styles. I don't remember it being particularly well-written, there weren't any kind of scientific studies to back it up, and I'm probably paraphrasing it all wrong. And if I understood your comment I think you're saying the opposite, that clean eating is more like our punishment for past "eating sins", but either way, I find the whole "food is the new religion" idea very fascinating.

Sorry to veer off track! To the OP, I got the impression that you weren't really being serious and that you were mainly expressing how much you love Creole food, and that maybe you had a recent experience with it. :smile: Still, there have to be a lot of recipes out there for lighter versions of your favorites!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Dear Elphie.

I was only suggesting that reacting to salicylate in foods is possible. Something to possibly consider and read up on if a person was so inclined, to disregard where appropriate, if smaller portions did not make any difference. I'm not alone in this situation and I would dearly love for no one else to have this problem. If I was asked if I have gastric bleeding following ingestion of aspirin I would in all honesty have to say no not to my knowledge. Bleeding is not the only problem. I have to eliminate many, most common foods to keep my residual salicylate levels as low as possible, my life is no longer plagued by disabling joint pain, and the long list of other life restricting symptoms I used to have to endure, my life is good. I know this is not a common problem.

Regional Immunology departments do recognise this problem with dietary and environmental salicylate but its the ones in general practice and some endocrinologists who do not and those who have no experience of this devastating problem too.

Yes aspirin is used therapeutically to stave of cardiac incidents but for me that action could be even more dangerous. I'd have to take my chances without.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Ummm, I think OP was just saying that all the yummy Creole food makes it hard to eat right and lose weight. Not that it is causing her to hold onto weight? :confused:

OP, as many previous posts suggested, logging and monitoring calories is key. And the spices you love can help you eat a lower calorie diet if you can work around the higher-calorie ingredients.

Try starting off just logging what you usually eat and after a week take a look back at your diary and see how far off you are and where your extra calories go. You might also see foods you like that are lower calorie that you can focus on. Then set a realistic weekly weight loss goal, log accurately and consistently, and be patient. You'll figure it out, good luck!