1 day off from counting calories a week?

Options
Wondering if anyone thinks this is an okay idea or if it has worked for you. Counting calories 6 days a week and then having one day without thinking about the numbers. This wouldn't be a "cheat day" or binge because I allow myself unhealthy foods in moderation throughout the week. It would be more of a mental break from the numbers and measuring. I eat in a 500 cal deficit 6 days a week and I only have 15-20 pounds to lose so my deficit shouldn't be that big anyways so I figured one day off wouldn't hurt? But I could be wrong, need advice.

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    People vary. It would be too frequent for me - I can easily top 3000cal if I take a day off logging - I reckon I could get to nearly 4000 if I got carried away. So I could only really afford to do this maybe once a month, not once a week.

But you may be more restrained than me.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I do this on my rest day which is Sundays. I don't log any food or exercise, I just comment on people's posts and feeds for the day. It does give you a mental break. It has been great for me I am 3 months in and have lost 12 pounds.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Give it a try. It would be a good way to get used to estimating moderate portions - which is a skill that will be very useful in the long term.
    You will soon see how it works for you - if you aren't losing any weight (or are going up) over a month or so, then you need to think of another strategy.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have been the same weight for the last 4 months doing this, not deliberately but our of laziness, busy life and bad mindset. Luckily I've maintained but i wipe out my deficit every time.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I would eat too much, without a doubt. If you're sure you won't wipe out your weekly deficit, then you could try it. But I'd be careful.

When I have a "cheat" day, usually Sunday, I still end up with a deficit because I can't stand the thought of eating loads when I log. If I didn't log, I would eat so much more.
  • edixon127
    edixon127 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    There's no way I could do this. Even if I decide to have a day where I allow myself to eat more than normal, I have to log everything. It keeps me from going way overboard which I could very easily do.
    But that's just me and if you have more restraint then it might work for you.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    One day a week - I eat food made by other people- I'm not going to force them to weigh all the ingredients - I make reasonable guesses and enter them. For standard food - I guess the weight. Entering an estimate for the day will stop me going totally out of control.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Why not eat in a 750-1000 calorie deficit on 6 days of the week and then allow yourself a higher calorie day but still maintain your weekly deficit.
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't log on Saturday evening! Normally that's my cheat meal night.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    The problem is that if you don't count on that day off from logging you could wipe out your total weeks deficit on that one day....
    A lot of us bank calories for the weekend but we still know how much we are consuming on our splurge day.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I could never deprive myself of the fun of weighing/logging, not even for 1 day! It's like a game.

Cool, I'm not the only one who thinks like this!

I don't find it burdensome at all. There are times I have to estimate - eating in non-chain restaurants, for example - and those can induce a bit of stress. But I have a lot of fun with logging otherwise!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    This would never work for me. I'd never lose an ounce.

Me neither. It works for me in maintenance but doesn't work for me in active weight loss. I simply stall out if I do this.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I could easily undo 2 weeks of progress in one day because I am an over achiever like that. My logging is rarely as precise as a lot of people on here, but it is goid enough, and I am losing. Like if i steal a gold fish from my kids..i don't log it, but they often take bites of my stuff..i figure it evens out.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    you eat gold fish in america?