How is it possible to gain 3lbs in one day?!

Options
I had been doing so well with my weight loss and then one day last week I ate Chinese food, the next day I woke up and I'd gained 3 pounds - I know I didn't eat 10,200 calories in one day - but now I'm stuck at this weight - I haven't lost anything since and I've continued to calorie count and restrict. I'm drinking plenty of water and exercising. What am I doing wrong???

Replies

• sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Chinese food has a lot of salt/msg. And lots of carbs.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Yep, water....unless....ahem.....you did eat 10,200 over your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). :D:)

Patience. It will go away.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Absolutely sodium. Give it a few days, drink some extra water.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    If you're sensitive to bloating or digestive issues, like I am, you can see up to a 5lb jump on the scale after one bad day. It isn't real though so don't panic. For me it always evens out after about 3 days.
  • TJnTexas
    TJnTexas Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    From my Boy Scout days: "A pint's a pound the world" meaning that a pint of water weighs about a pound. If I weigh in after an 8 mile hike on a hot day, I can easily be down a couple of pounds. If I drink two bottles of water, I can be up 2 pounds.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Pizza does it to me!
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    chinese food is notorious for MSG, which - among other things - makes you retain fluid, hence the overnight weight gain. best thing is to pound water to flush out the MSG. and next time you have chinese -- cook it at home.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I've always found that water weight is one of those things where it can spike after just one meal/day of too much sodium and carbs (I don't like Chinese food much, but my certain doom is going out for Mexican food - chips, salsa, and margaritas will get me to the same place) but take up to a week or so to come off. It's frustrating, but just keep doing what you're doing, maybe add in a little extra water and/or water-heavy fruits and vegetables (cucumbers and melons always seem to help me a little), and give it a little more time and patience.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen yesterday - only I didn't eat really salty foods - our weather has been very hot and humid - even with drinking a lot, I barely have to go to the bathroom - and this morning even though my calories are below what they need to be - and I did a LOT of walking (amusement park) yesterday - today my scale was up 3lbs.
    In my case I should also be starting my TOM in about 5 days - so I am sure that is also playing a role...
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    If you're sensitive to bloating or digestive issues, like I am, you can see up to a 5lb jump on the scale after one bad day. It isn't real though so don't panic. For me it always evens out after about 3 days.

Me too. The sodium flushes our in a couple days along with the water weight.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I can go up and down a few pounds even without a sodium rich meal. So many factors are involved, try to look at it long term, stay the course and keep the faith and wait another few days.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing yesterday after smoked salmon which was SO salty, I get that the whole smoking thing needs salt but jeeeeeeez!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    We had chinese on Sunday night, I didn't bother weighing myself on Monday morning...
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Water weight. One if the things that helps, funny enough, is drinking water to flush it out. Mostly just need patience, though.

Also, I wouldn't worry so much about daily fluctuations on the scale. It'll end up making you crazy. Body weight is never a constant stable number; even throughout the day it changes. Instead, pay attention to the trend..as long as it's trending downward over the weeks, you're good to go. :)