Jumpers Knee (Squat Alternatives)

Options
Went to the Dr. a few weeks back and found out I have what is called Jumpers Knee.

I have some stretches that I do to help with the pain in my knee along with resting the knee. I was told I can still lift weights but not to do squats as that would put too much stress on my knee (I probably caused this by not squatting properly since this did happen after one of my workouts, also years of Basketball). To do cardio I have started swimming (I stopped Taekwondo for a few weeks until my knee gets better). I had no idea swimming was such a good workout.

My main question is should I just skip squats all together or is there something that I can do to replace squats?

I currently do a 2 day push/pull routine (This works well with my work/school schedule). My routine is listed below

Push Day
  1. Barbell Bench Press
  2. Barbell Squat (Need to replace)
  3. Overhead barbell press
  4. Close-grip bench press
  5. Standing Calf Raises (Usually do this sitting down)

Pull Day
  1. Dead-lift (My favorite exercise)
  2. Bent-over Row
  3. Chin Ups/Drag Curls (Usually do drag curls)
  4. Barbell Shrug (will be replacing this with some other shoulder exercises as I need to strengthen my right shoulder)
  5. Hanging Leg Raises

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about "Jumper's Knee", but can you do something like weighted step-ups without pain?
  • tsaundersjr
    tsaundersjr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about "Jumper's Knee", but can you do something like weighted step-ups without pain?

I could try those. Though when carrying in heavy groceries inside the house it does sometimes hurt when carrying them upstairs. I think I need to avoid any extra weight that might cuse strain on the knee. I am doing some stretches to help strenthlen the knee.

I could just skip squats all together :/
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Did (s)he mean to not do squats for a while, while your knee heals? Or simply to not do squats again?

If the former, then don't replace them with anything. If the latter, then I'd get a second opinion, as squats are great for strengthening knees.

What kinda boggles my mind here is that strengthening the knee and surrounding areas is one of the treatments for jumper's knee. And (s)he didn't give you any exercises for that, or refer you to a physical therapist?
  • tsaundersjr
    edited June 2016
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Did (s)he mean to not do squats for a while, while your knee heals? Or simply to not do squats again?

If the former, then don't replace them with anything. If the latter, then I'd get a second opinion, as squats are great for strengthening knees.

What kinda boggles my mind here is that strengthening the knee and surrounding areas is one of the treatments for jumper's knee. And (s)he didn't give you any exercises for that, or refer you to a physical therapist?

He didn't say I couldn't do them again. Said I should stop for awhile while my knee heals. I am to let it rest and ice the knee (which I have been doing, and it feels better). I have some exercises to strengthen the knee (I should have went into more detail that is my fault). He also asked if I wanted to do physical therapy (which is said is up to me at this point) and I declined as I can do the exercises to strengthen the knee. Though I might actually do it as I tend to skip the exercises sometimes.

I just really like working out. I could just skip them until it feels better. I am just being impatient which is not a good thing in this case and I need to let it fully heal.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    In that case, don't even try to replace them. I might even take out deadlifts, as those can tax the knee. Stick to upper body and do the exercises your doc gave you for now.
  • tsaundersjr
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    In that case, don't even try to replace them. I might even take out deadlifts, as those can tax the knee. Stick to upper body and do the exercises your doc gave you for now.

Yeah I am going to try deadlifts and see how I feel. I will start off light and go from there.

Thanks!