Fish...eww

Options
So I'm having a bit of trouble getting accustomed to fish. I would like to have more in my diet, but I can't get past the taste. Is it a lost cause or what??

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    What kind of fish are you eating?
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Tilapia and mahi have a mild fishy flavor. it is not a lost cause and you do not have to eat it, you can take fish oil softgels lemon flavored to get your nutrition in.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I used to hate fish, then one day it just clicked and I suddenly liked it. I wouldn't say it's a lost cause, but unless that happens to you there's really no reason to force yourself to eat fish if you don't like it.

Swai is one to try though - pretty mild and a little sweet, similar to tilapia but I like it better.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Haddock is a mild fish
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I love haddock, rainbow trout or steelhead trout!! I bake it with spice and lemon slices. I agree there are other options if you don't like fish.
  • sladamssr
    sladamssr Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If eating fish is like punishment, then you won't stick with it anyway. Try different flavors and cooking methods to see which you like best. Nothings a lost cause if you learn something new.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat fish.

As for me, I have some salmon and dill butter waiting for dinnertime to roll around. Salmon was the first fish besides canned tuna that I ever found palatable.
  • sueelaineparker
    sueelaineparker Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I only started eating fish when I got pregnant and had occasional cravings for fish and chips!
    Now I eat salmon and cod but that's it. Still hate seafood and strong fish. Trying to work myself up to trying haddock and tuna again but you shouldn't force yourself to eat something if you really don't enjoy it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Not much of a seafood person either here. I blame it on living on the prairies. I am betting a fresh caught fish sensitively prepared would taste heavenly. So don't cheap out if you are just getting used to it. I've learned that fish requires gentle cooking just until it flakes. Then it's done. Lemon juice cuts any "fishy" taste.

I prefer cod or halibut. Tilapia the one time I tried it was tough.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Yesterday they were giving out samples of plank cooked Salmon in Wegman's. I did not think I would like it but it was awesome!
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Schwans carries an Ancient Grain Encrusted Cod that is heavenly.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Don't forget sashimi/sushi, ceviche, poke, or smoked fish. Totally different tastes than the usual cooked fish.

Also, try adding condiments like a pickled slaw, lime or lemon juice, pickled ginger, etc. They can lift fish dishes considerably.

Personally, I still dislike a lot of cooked fish. I can't do cooked salmon, tuna, swordfish, any of the meatier fish is a no-no. I do like fried high-quality catfish, pollock, cod, halibut (pick this if you'd prefer firmer rather than flakier fish). All are mild if fresh and not overcooked.

Things like canned tuna and sardines (more mild-tasting to me than tuna) can be helped by making them into a salad. I use mayo, chopped apple, pecans, chopped celery and grapes with tuna. Or, I mix tuna into my egg salad. That works surprisingly well. I use sweet/spicy mustard, chopped peppadew or other sweet/spicy peppers with goat cheese for sardines.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating fish if you don't like it? There's so many other "healthy" foods - no need to suffer with fish.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i hate fish so i dont eat it. There is no reason you should be eating food you dont like... why would you put yourself through that?
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I can't relate. I love fish. Clams, shrimp, crab, lobster, squid, seaweed, and scallops too. Need to stop listing. I'm making myself very hungry!

You don't have to eat it if you don't like it, but I do commend the fact that you are trying to make an effort to yourself to like things you thought you didn't like.

I know I used to hate the following things: bell peppers, mushrooms, olives, cilantro, pulled pork/chicken, raw tomatoes, strong cheeses, spicy food in general, asparagus, cucumbers, pickles, tzatziki, etc. Some of these are funny for me to type out because I could eat tzatziki with a spoon now. These are all things that I just learned to get over hating and start loving. In the case of some of them, like asparagus, it was just that it had been prepared wrong (boiled to death). Grilled, it is amazing. Some like cilantro, just the more I ate it, the more tolerable that it became until now I am putting it on or in a lot of things. Some things I still just can't eat. Raw bananas, it is a texture issue. Same thing with oysters. Blech. But the older I get, the more adventurous of an eater I become. Your tastes are more flexible than you think they are sometimes.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting good quality fish! Fresh should not smell! Frozen should not be freezer burnt! Many of the frozen packs are nasty, burnt.

Do you like other seafood? Shrimp, scallops or other shellfish? Package of tuna or salmon?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    'Not a big deal if you do not care for it. I eat salmon a few times a year if I am at an appropriate restaurant.
    Other than that, none.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I can't understand wanting to force a food type into your diet that you don't like. I have never liked seafood. I'm 43 and every five years are so, I'll give it a nibble and nope. Still hate it. I'm not going to force myself to eat something if the taste of it makes me want to vomit. I can get all the vitamins and minerals via other sources. No reason to suffer through it.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Nothing is a lost cause, you can acquire any taste if you keep trying for long enough. Don't choke it down, though, you'll only make yourself gag and it will take longer to get used to it. Tiny tastes are the key, literally a tiny bit, and if you keep tasting tiny bits you will adjust to it and probably end up liking it. Team up with someone who does like fish and have a tiny bit off their plate - less than a mouthful. That way you won't waste it. Or buy a smoked fish fillet, as it'll keep in the fridge for a week or so, and have a tiny bit with your lunch every day.

However, only do this if you want to, to broaden your horizons for your own enjoyment or convenience. There is no law that says you have to eat fish.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Nothing is a lost cause, you can acquire any taste if you keep trying for long enough. Don't choke it down, though, you'll only make yourself gag and it will take longer to get used to it. Tiny tastes are the key, literally a tiny bit, and if you keep tasting tiny bits you will adjust to it and probably end up liking it. Team up with someone who does like fish and have a tiny bit off their plate - less than a mouthful. That way you won't waste it. Or buy a smoked fish fillet, as it'll keep in the fridge for a week or so, and have a tiny bit with your lunch every day.

However, only do this if you want to, to broaden your horizons for your own enjoyment or convenience. There is no law that says you have to eat fish.

thats actually false. I am a classically trained french chef if 10 years. Since birth to now there is no sauce, marinade, seasoning, or cooking method that will chsnge my tastebuds to desipising ANYTHING that comes from the ocean. I have eaten it more times then you could imagine.