The Primal Blueprint. Does anyone on here do it?

gracienkaidens_momma
gracienkaidens_momma Posts: 379 Member
edited September 29 in Food and Nutrition
It's the number 1 selling health book on amazing with an almost perfect rating. Has anyone on here successfully done it? It seems easy. I am reading the free eBooks from Mark's Daily Apple blog. Please share your thoughts on this.

Replies

• mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    What is it about?
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    It's very hard to explain since I haven't read the book or too much on it. It's mainly about cutting down on carbs and eating more meat. On the fitness side of things it's also about doing less cardio and lifting more weights for faster results. I am going to print out the eBooks today and read up more on it before trying it. I'll post when I learn more about it.
  • mamato4kids
    Sounds like the Paleo diet. I am doing that. I am reading the Paleo solution, the original human diet. by Robb Wolfe and everyday Paleo by Sarah Fragoso. Really good. There are quite a few Paleo people on here.
    Paleo is nothing processed, no sugar, no flour, just everything that is natural, lots of protein. natural carbs such as fruit. I really like it.
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Yes I think it's a lot like the Paleo diet. Nothing processed and no sugars is going to be very hard for me to do!
  • mamato4kids
    You can do it, it's easier than I thought. It's just a change of mindset, at least for me. I still stay within my calories and it really helps with my sugar levels. I only get sugar from fruit now. Friend me if you want to help each other out.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Paleo/Primal are very similar. Sisson allows some things that Robb Wolf does not.

I've been Paleo/Primal for a little over 5 months and my results have been unbelievable. I'd highly recommend it.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    It's an unnecessarily healthy diet. If you want that kind of restriction in your diet, go for it. It's totally healthy. If you think it's too much restriction, then don't go with it. There's nothing wrong with either route.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    I am doing well since I went Primal! Check out the ticker.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    yes, I have followed it for almost a year and I love it!
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    I read the book about 3 mos. ago, changed the way I eat, and BOOM! those last 10 unsheddable lbs just dropped off. It's not about a diet. It's about nutrition, and how foods physiologically impact our bodies. It's quite eye-opening, really. It makes you think twice about putting all kinds of junk in your mouth that you used to. It really helped me clean up my diet and the results speak for themselves.
  • bhawkins0617
    bhawkins0617 Posts: 46 Member
    I've read it. It made perfect sense to me so I started the program/lifestyle recently. I'm finding it to be a much needed change for my life. I'm enjoying food more than ever and losing weight at the same time!
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    I'm so glad to hear that others have read the book, implemented the plan and have found fantastic success! I am so excited to receive the book and get started! I just started Insanity too, so hopefully this Primal way of eating with the Insanity program will help me to shed those last 7 pounds that have been hanging on for so long!
  • I recently bought the book and I'm going to give "Primal" a try. I may not adhere to it exactly, but I plan to aim for that direction. Anyone interested in sharing ideas? Please add me as a friend.

First question: How did you set your protein, fat, and carb goals?

As of this morning, I set mine as follows:
    Calories at 1200 per day
    Carbs 30% 90 g
    Protein 35% 105g
    Fat 35% 47g

Not sure if this is "right" or will work. I plan to give it a try for a few days and see how it goes.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/

Check out this website, it may help answer questions.
    I am not primal....YET, I have the book and every intention to make an honest effort to try it. I just LOVE chickpeas too much to give them up!! LOL
    Soon...very soon!!!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    You can do it, it's easier than I thought. It's just a change of mindset, at least for me. I still stay within my calories and it really helps with my sugar levels. I only get sugar from fruit now. Friend me if you want to help each other out.

Do you find it hard to make a change such as this while having a family at home? I have 4 kids as well (..and a husband who loves 'family meals') and am curious how it would/could affect everyone. I am very interested in checking out the books...
  • Yes. It is hard when you have kids at home. I have a 20-year-old & an 8-year-old, plus my husband. NONE of them would be happy to adopt this way of eating as a lifestyle. Most of the time, I just eat differently than the rest of the family, but it's not too difficult. I try to cook in ways that we have a similar meal, but not the exact same meal. If I make salmon, I might serve it to the family with a side of veggies and a side of rice. I just skip the rice for myself and eat the salmon and veggies or I make myself a salad with salmon on the top.

I would like to change the way the whole family eats, but my husband is not on board with that, so it would be impossible without his support. My husband had our 8-year-old thinking that dessert (cookies, ice-cream, or candy) is an every-night reward for eating his dinner. I hated that routine. I have managed to change to policy to say that sugary dessert is reserved weekends for our son. Weekday dessert is fresh fruit. My husband did agree to go along with that.

Back to your question...Yes, it's difficult, but not impossible. Just do the best you can and it will be better than doing nothing at all. :smile:
  • grahamkn1
    grahamkn1 Posts: 2 Member
    I've been 'Primal' for a couple of weeks now and I've just tweaked my intake as follows :-

Calories 1750 - thats stayed the same

Carbs 20%

Protein 40 %

Healthy fats 40 %

I'm also following Mark Lauren's book 'You Are Your Own Gym'. I'm 9 weeks through the first 10 week programme of body weight exercises and I'm pleased with the progress so far. Since going primal I've noticed a better drop in my weight by cutting out grains & grain products. I still crave marmite on toast but so far I've managed to resist the calling!!.

The above breakdown of my intake puts my carbs in the 'sweet spot' Mark Sissons dedscribes in his book, (50 100 g per day for weight loss & 100 - 150 to maintain weight). I've found the book very informative and well worth a read. The main thing to keep in mind is that its your body and any diet will need tweaking to suit you.

Good luck . . .
This discussion has been closed.