How much difference can i realistically make in 9 weeks?

Options
As some of you know, i signed up to do my first spartan race on August 20. I currently sit at 257 pounds and standing at 6'1. I am a teacher and have roughly the next 6 weeks or so free before school starts back. However, i have 9 weeks from my race date. I am nervous about how i should attack training for this thing. I recently finished a diet bet and now can get into the gym and or cardio as much as needed. What approach should i take? How much of a change can i likely make in these 9 weeks? Where should my focus be? Lose weight by doing a ton of running? Lift and run? I am in a caloric deficit now of about 750 calories a day. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    http://www.spartan.com/en/training/how-to-train/fundamentals

I would suggest not doing tons of running or trying to drop a bunch of weight in that time frame. Circuit training with weights would be a good option. Add in some running hills if you can. Realistically, there are lots of people who sign up for spartan races and don't train at all. It won't be easy, but you'll be fine.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Not trying to drop a bunch of weight just for race, I'm in this for the longevity of getting my life in order. I decided to sign up for this race as a reward/test for me to have in front of me. I am rather excited about the change i could see in my body as far as strength and measurements.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    i would do some cardio to get your body prepared for endurance. And do some lifting and mobility exercises so you can tackle some of the obstacles. If you're in this for the long run, just go slow and steady with your training and don't worry about smashing any records on your first spartan, just set a goal to complete it. At a 750 a day deficit, you can expect to lose about 13 pounds in 9 weeks. And if you do some cardio each day, something like the c25K program, you'll feel great in 9 weeks.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be pushing yourself really hard in a significant calorie deficit then ensure your week before the event you taper down the exercise and ramp up your calories (to maintenance I would suggest).

Going into the event fully fuelled and rested will help far more on the day than an extra week of training hard and getting to the event sore, fatigued and under-fuelled.
  • monicaw44
    monicaw44 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would do cardio and strength training. you need to build endurance through cardio, and you will have a leaner body through strength. when you do your race, both elements will help.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You could be in completely different shape in 9 weeks. In 10 weeks I lost 10lbs of fat going from 13% body fat to 7.5% body fat. That's a major composition difference.
  • JB_DBS
    JB_DBS Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Burpees. Lots of them. Each obstacle you miss or fail means Burpees. They are also good all around fun. ;)
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    how about working with a personal trainer for 8 weeks? Take your last week off the trainer to taper for the event.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time for a C25K app to get you ready to run. (Couch to 5K that preps you for running the full 5K in weekly increment steps) I loved mine and I make it a goal to run a race every month that the roads are clear enough to run. Cardio burns fat while you are working out, up to 20 minutes later. Lifting burns fat up to 24 hours later. Do both! I run about 3 days a week, and lift 3 days. When it was just running, I wasn't losing in the areas I needed to. My legs looked great, but my core and arms didn't see any improvement. Now that I have entered a "bootcamp" for 9 weeks, I am already seeing great results from the past 3 weeks. I would encourage you to do both, but that just my 2 cents. Best of luck.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    You could be in completely different shape in 9 weeks. In 10 weeks I lost 10lbs of fat going from 13% body fat to 7.5% body fat. That's a major composition difference.
    I can tell you're very proud but that has really very little to do with the OP's question.

OP, I agree with circuit training and hills. Practice walking as well, just so you're comfortable doing it if you can't run the whole time. You really will make a huge difference in that time. Take care of yourself and good luck!

Id realized that after I posted it, I purely made my comment out to the OPs headline and was using it as an example. After posting I noticed there was quite a bit more to the post.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success to date! Look at your progress so far and extrapolate than to 9 weeks. If you bump up your training a bit, you can accomplish even more. It's really amazing how much you can progress in 9 weeks with consistent effort. Just don't overdo it--whatever that means for your fitness level. You don't want to risk injury or a setback.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Train hard as others have said..but also take a rest day every week and maybe 2 if you think you need it. Make sure you get plenty of sleep as well. Muscles need recovery. And definately taper the week before the race. Good luck!