Juicing brought me to new levels

Options
I stumbled into juicing on a spontaneous mission after I watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead on Netflix. I knew I did not like the premise of doing the exact routine promoted by that movie, because I always shy away from doing any diets focused on deprival of calories below healthy levels. But I loved the idea of juicing, so I bought a Breville juicer.

What I did NOT anticipate was that the power of drinking juice would actually get my natural passion for the taste of healthy foods back again. I hardly have drank coffee in 2 weeks, because a glass of juice in the morning energizes me and is so satisfying that I don't even look forward to my coffee I used to drink all day long.

My thirst is back, and I love juice so much that I am staying properly hydrated whereas I had struggled with ever feeling thirsty for years; this made drinking water feel like a chore.

Finally, I am not finding after 2 weeks of juicing that eating salads now feels like 'normal' and like substantial food rather than again feeling like a chore.

I drink anywhere from 8 oz to 18 oz of juice per day and rarely include any fruits. It is almost impossible to stay within healthy limits of sugars if fruit juice is part of a daily plan. If you juice, I highly recommend you go into it with the intention to derive nutrients from vegetables, herbs, etc.

The 'net' of this for me is that juice is keeping me so satisfied that I am dropping weight easily without even feeling like I am ever hungry. Unlike a typical 1200 calorie diet where you can end up not getting all the needed nutrients, this juicing routine is giving me much of my carbs in vegetable juice, so I just focus on adding healthy carbs, protein, and fiber to reach my goal for the day.

I have lost 10 lbs effortlessly thanks to juicing and nutrition I am getting from it while I keep my calories in check to lose lbs.

Replies

• JuicerLab
    JuicerLab Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Nice share! any type juicer can bring this benefited

• Improvement of overall health and well being*
    • A boost of the body’s natural immune system*
    • Support of the body’s natural healing processes*
    • Improves absorption of nutrients from food*
    • Aids the body to rid itself of harmful free radicals*
    • Increased energy during physical performance*
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    JuicerLab wrote: »

lol.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

I don't think it makes any difference whether the fruit & veg is eaten or drank. You still take in the same stuff. In fact doesn't juicing fruit remove the fibre and some nutrients?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    You still take in the same stuff. In fact doesn't juicing fruit remove the fibre and some nutrients?

Probably 30-40% of the mass is discarded by a juicer, including most (?) but not all of insoluble fibre. Soluble fibre like pectin in the flesh of an apple mainly goes into the juice (which is cloudy).
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Juicing is great. The amount of antioxidants alone is significantlly more. If you are asking for scientific proof you should go try it yourself.

Personally it is just too inconveniencing for me. Takes too much time to start with. Too much time to clean, source veggies.

More power to OP though.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Juicing is great. The amount of antioxidants alone is significantlly more. If you are asking for scientific proof you should go try it yourself.

You don't get more antioxidants from juicing. If you ate the fruit/veg you juice you'd get the same amount. Plus when fruit is broken down and exposed to light and air they start to lose their nutrients including antioxidants, so unless you drink the juice straight away, you're actually losing nutrients.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Tag team spam, I dig it
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Did it bring you to levels over 9000?

tumblr_n6lg82HORu1su9o7lo1_500.gif
  • RoToQ
    RoToQ Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Where can I buy one of these 'juicing's?
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    For once, the OP doesn't seem to be selling anything, or claiming that juicing has any magical detoxifying or fat-burning properties. We should give credit where it's due - she seems to just be claiming that her juicing routine helps keep her satiated and hydrated, helps her meet her macro and micro goals, helps keep her mentally focused on nutrient-dense foods, and gives her a bit of an energy boost, all of which are potentially legit.

(I will gladly stand corrected if there's any evidence to the contrary besides her OP here.)

OP, good for you. It's not something that will work for everyone for a variety of reasons, but if you've found something that works for you, then more power to you. Just remember that it's not a magic wand, and that you still need to count all of your calories from your juices, and that you still can't expect to get significant health or weight loss results over and above what you'd get if you did all the same things but weren't including the juices. However, if it helps you stay focused and stay satiated, keep on keeping on.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Personally it is just too inconveniencing for me. Takes too much time to start with. Too much time to clean, source veggies.

Same here. I did like juicing. Wasn't any better than eating within caloric deficit and did not give any more magical engery, but it was tasty and fun to concoct stuff. BUT...it was not in any way sustainable because of prep times for me compared to normal weekly prepped meals.

For anyone looking to do it though I found a fruit and veggie co-op and was getting TONS of stuff for like $15 a box every week, so that saved time shopping.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    tamraking wrote: »
    I stumbled into juicing on a spontaneous mission after I watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead on Netflix. I knew I did not like the premise of doing the exact routine promoted by that movie, because I always shy away from doing any diets focused on deprival of calories below healthy levels. But I loved the idea of juicing, so I bought a Breville juicer.

What I did NOT anticipate was that the power of drinking juice would actually get my natural passion for the taste of healthy foods back again. I hardly have drank coffee in 2 weeks, because a glass of juice in the morning energizes me and is so satisfying that I don't even look forward to my coffee I used to drink all day long.

My thirst is back, and I love juice so much that I am staying properly hydrated whereas I had struggled with ever feeling thirsty for years; this made drinking water feel like a chore.

Finally, I am not finding after 2 weeks of juicing that eating salads now feels like 'normal' and like substantial food rather than again feeling like a chore.

I drink anywhere from 8 oz to 18 oz of juice per day and rarely include any fruits. It is almost impossible to stay within healthy limits of sugars if fruit juice is part of a daily plan. If you juice, I highly recommend you go into it with the intention to derive nutrients from vegetables, herbs, etc.

The 'net' of this for me is that juice is keeping me so satisfied that I am dropping weight easily without even feeling like I am ever hungry. Unlike a typical 1200 calorie diet where you can end up not getting all the needed nutrients, this juicing routine is giving me much of my carbs in vegetable juice, so I just focus on adding healthy carbs, protein, and fiber to reach my goal for the day.

I have lost 10 lbs effortlessly thanks to juicing and nutrition I am getting from it while I keep my calories in check to lose lbs.

are you going to just drink juice and eat salads for the rest of your life...???????
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    The fiber in fruit and vegetables are a necessary "nutrient" to develop good gut bacteria and health. Additionally, fiber keeps all of the fruit sugar from dumping into your blood stream. Why bother juicing when I can just eat a piece of fruit or vegetable? My body knows how to digest food.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Cool that your user name is JuicerLab.