Options
2»

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    thanks for all the info.

i just find it odd that when i was hardcore logging everything, there was no moving. nothing. i gained regardless

How long were you actually logging and when?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    flcl2121 wrote: »
    the pills won't fix your anxiety issues, only mask them. Find a healthy way to overcome anxiety and stop letting big pharma poison your body
    Stupid, ignorant and uniformed.....
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Neither of those medications magically make your body use calories differently or change your metabolism. What they can do is increase your appetite, a known side effect of many psych meds. It just boils down to you eating too much, knowingly or unknowingly. I've been on some of the most notorious psych meds for weight gain and yes I gained weight but it was because I was eating too much.

I know the side effects will list weight gain but it;s a simplified way of saying that it increases appetite which can lead to weight gain. If you are meticulous about your intake it will have absolutely no impact on weight loss or gain. Controlling your appetite is the thing to worry about.

see i get that but i did follow and still didnt lose weight. Thats why im dumbfounded.

Has anyone lost weight while on citalopram?

Yes my 58 yo wife lost 50 pounds while on it. She ate 1200 cals daily, walked 6 miles per week. Careful weighing and logging food is what worked. Good luck, you can do it!
  • dmiivanov
    dmiivanov Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    dlkfox wrote: »
    the pills won't fix your anxiety issues, only mask them. Find a healthy way to overcome anxiety and stop letting big pharma poison your body

Ignore that! Clearly written by someone who has not suffered mental illness.

Or it could equally well be written by someone who had.. but overcame those issues in a natural way without relying on big pharma.. ?
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My husband takes Citalopram because he has a stutter. He gained weight while he was on it , but as soon as he started counting his calories and exercising the weight came right off.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Neither of those medications magically make your body use calories differently or change your metabolism. What they can do is increase your appetite, a known side effect of many psych meds. It just boils down to you eating too much, knowingly or unknowingly. I've been on some of the most notorious psych meds for weight gain and yes I gained weight but it was because I was eating too much.

I know the side effects will list weight gain but it;s a simplified way of saying that it increases appetite which can lead to weight gain. If you are meticulous about your intake it will have absolutely no impact on weight loss or gain. Controlling your appetite is the thing to worry about.

These medications affect the chemicals your body is producing and using. That can also mess with hormones etc which affect weight gain and loss. When I was on one of the meds for depression I gained weight and yet I was meticulous with what I ate. I have some ocd issues about my food, and so I was aware of everything I put into my mouth. I also worked out 4 days a week for hours at a time trying to lose said weight, and gained.

I just think it's dangerous to make blanket statements to people about how the medicine affects their bodies. OP said he was being careful. I don't think it's helpful to call him a liar over and over.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    cmarangi wrote: »

These medications affect the chemicals your body is producing and using. That can also mess with hormones etc which affect weight gain and loss. When I was on one of the meds for depression I gained weight and yet I was meticulous with what I ate. I have some ocd issues about my food, and so I was aware of everything I put into my mouth. I also worked out 4 days a week for hours at a time trying to lose said weight, and gained.

I just think it's dangerous to make blanket statements to people about how the medicine affects their bodies. OP said he was being careful. I don't think it's helpful to call him a liar over and over.

I've been on some of the strongest psychoactive medication available. I gained weight on them because they made me ravenous and I gave no ***** about what I put in my mouth.

But feel free to provide links to evidence that these disrupt hormone process and make you store fat when eating at a deficit or at maintenance. Or that it significantly changes ones BMR enough to again cause the same intake to produce a significant fat gain in weight.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    cmarangi wrote: »

I've been on some of the strongest psychoactive medication available. I gained weight on them because they made me ravenous and I gave no ***** about what I put in my mouth.

But feel free to provide links to evidence that these disrupt hormone process and make you store fat when eating at a deficit or at maintenance. Or that it significantly changes ones BMR enough to again cause the same intake to produce a significant fat gain in weight.

+1
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

That big scary pharma, how dare they make medications available for some to be able to function and have a decent quality of life that they wouldn't have without it?! :wink:

Personally, I'd like to thank big pharma for the Adderall and Lexapro that make it possible for me to function and to successfully life, wife, adult, and mom. Just saying....
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

First of all. No.

And secondly, to the OP. I am taking the same medication. It has helped me tremendously but while I was focusing on healing my mind, I did not pay a lot of attention to my body (it was second priority to my mental health). So yes, I did gain weight, but only because I was not focusing on my diet and eating over my maintenance.

After taking control of my mental health, I finally felt like I could focus on other areas of my life. And slowly but surely, this weight is coming off. At most, I only gained about 3-5 pounds though. The rest of the weight was put on due to the previous depression and overall "eff-it" attitude I had. So I definitely feel like the weight had absolutely nothing to do with the new medication.

I hope you find a solution. Diligent logging and exercise to help your fitness will work well, but you must be consistent and accurate. I am working on those things myself.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    ok thanks peeps.

it was months ago that i was hardcore checking my weight. I was also lifting weights as well. No change to my waist size.

I almost think i should lose the weight and get to my goal before i workout with weights. Almost to give myself no excuses.

whats your opinion?
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Start hard-core logging on MFP today and get control of your weight and start losing.

Go ahead and lift weights because it is good for your muscles and it will reduce any lean muscle mass you would lose while eating at a deficit. Exercise is also good for the mind.

You can do this! Start weighing your food for accuracy. Best of luck to you.
  • raven56706
    Options
    i will try again. if anyone doesnt mind being a coach, friend request me. I want to make sure i know someone else who is on these meds can see what im doing or if im doing something wrong
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    ok thanks peeps.

it was months ago that i was hardcore checking my weight. I was also lifting weights as well. No change to my waist size.

I almost think i should lose the weight and get to my goal before i workout with weights. Almost to give myself no excuses.

whats your opinion?

I think you should do the type of exercise that you look forward to and can stick to because you enjoy it. If you enjoy strength training, there's no reason to put it off until you lose more weight. In fact, building more muscle now will ensure you look better once you do start losing the fat. But again, I think you should do whatever makes you happy.
  • raven56706
    Options
    true but my waist size is what pains me. i got down to a 34 and now back to 36. sucks but i will try my best
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

That big scary pharma, how dare they make medications available for some to be able to function and have a decent quality of life that they wouldn't have without it?! :wink:

Personally, I'd like to thank big pharma for the Adderall and Lexapro that make it possible for me to function and to successfully life, wife, adult, and mom. Just saying....

I'd also like to thank big pharma for abilify and lamotrigine. Without them, I'd likely be dead from walking in a busy street proclaiming I'm God and cannot die! Darn that big pharma for ridding me of my manic delusions!