Logging Unsweetened Green Tea as Water????

I drink unsweetened green tea several times during the day and wondering if anyone logs this as water. Thoughts please? Thank you.

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    yes!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Yep - for sure! The water in the tea definitely counts toward your fluid/hydration needs.
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
    I log it in. Do you just drink regular unsweetened green tea? I like my mine with all sorts of flavors like green chai tea, peach, cherry, and strawberry.
  • Grnwitch13
    Grnwitch13 Posts: 5 Member
    I drink it plain mostly, just decaffeinated green tea but I do love flavors too. I just don't add any sweetener, I am cutting way back on sugar. LOL
  • Grnwitch13
    Grnwitch13 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you guys so much for the answers!!!!
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Has caffeine so can dehydrate you if it's all you drink. My mother in law got sick because it was all she was drinking. Just an FYI I'm not saying it's the only thing your drinking.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    catsdogsh wrote: »
    Has caffeine so can dehydrate you if it's all you drink. My mother in law got sick because it was all she was drinking. Just an FYI I'm not saying it's the only thing your drinking.

This is not true at all. The diuretic effect of caffeine is far outweighed by the water in the tea. Tea and coffee result in net hydration.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    catsdogsh wrote: »

Not true, actually. Though there is a slight diuretic effect to caffeine, it's not going to be enough to outweigh the hydration effects of the beverage itself, at least in caffeine amounts up to a standard cup of coffee, which I believe green tea will generally have less than. If there are underlying medical issues or you're drinking a particularly extra-caffeinated beverage then of course YMMV, but generally it's not a concern.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0084154
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    I log the water and a tea bag.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I don't log water anyway, but if you need to for some reason, then I think it's fine to count tea for hydration.
    Much of the liquid we get during the day comes from food anyway, so I don't see an issue.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    edited June 2016
    I don't log water, so sometimes I log unsweetened herbal tea as unsweetened herbal tea, sometimes I don't log it at all. It's just dirty water, really.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    I log all of my drinks under the correct category of my food log and count my water at the bottom with the little glass. Although the coffee shows no calories I have seen conflicting info on the web concerning coffee and whether it has calories or not.