Should I get fractional weights?

Options
KDar1988
KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
I was reading the SL website and it was suggested to use fractional plates especially for women since it is harder to add the 5lbs each workout for OHP and BP. I'm finding that to be true. Yesterday the BP was 60lbs and I was shaking at the 5th rep to get it up. I did it, but it was not easy. I don't think I can do another 5lbs next time without failing. I know the OHP is going to be the same as the last one was 55lbs and I was fighting to get it up.

What do you all think? I'm thinking go for it.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have fractional plates and I love them for ohp and bp
  • KDar1988
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you! I want to progress through the 5X5 but I know it's going to get harder. I thought these would be good.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get 1.25 and 2.5 if you don't already have them. Increasing by 5 pounds doesn't seem like much -- until it is! I got them pretty cheap and on Prime with Amazon.
  • Slinn1985
    Slinn1985 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! They are critical for seeing improvement
  • KDar1988
    Options
    Thanks! I actually just ordered a rubberized set from Amazon. I was doing good with the 5lb jumps until this weekend and then it was a bit much. Plus I workout alone and start to get a little anxious without someone to help if I need it. I may have to start bench pressing in the power rack with the safety bars.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    9ybp8r693mfs.jpg I have these x8
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Those are awesome. Where did you get them? I've been looking for a good set that wasn't just glorified giant washers for a while.

*edited because auto correct is my sworn enemy.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, OP. On the lookout for some fractional weights right now. Actually did my own post on them a while back.

I just don't know where to find them without going online. The fitness stores here only seem to carry 2.5 lbs.

This link was given to me as a cost-effective alternative: https://mannixcastro.com/2011/10/08/cheap-fractional-plates-for-microloading/
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Some hardware stores carry 2" inside diameter washers cheap. Try McMaster-Carr and, perhaps, Grainger or Rockler.
    I think they may be .5 lbs each.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#91081a046/=xjattp

Make sure you sand all the rust off and then coat them with paint. Latex house paint worked for me.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Those are awesome. Where did you get them? I've been looking for a good set that wasn't just glorified giant washers for a while.

*edited because auto correct is my sworn enemy.

I got them on amazon.ca
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    @BecomingBane I just checked and they have a website www.ironbullstrength.com
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    @BecomingBane I just checked and they have a website www.ironbullstrength.com

Thanks. As I said earlier... everyone is always suggesting large washers and I'd prefer something a bit better than that. I don't mind paying a good bit, especially since I'll essentially get indefinite uses out of them unless I'm doing something crazy.

Appreciate the recommendation.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I adore them, because sometimes I want to work the absolute exact percentage and fractionals are the way to get it.