Beginning kettlebell help

Options
I am a woman, 50 yrs old, I walk for an hour most days, moderate pace. I am just getting into kettlebells to help me get stronger/lose weight. I am looking for a beginner kettlebell workout video (prefer youtube) that can get me started. The amount of videos available is making my head spin so I wondered if anyone has a favorite?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would suggest finding a certified, reputable trainer in your area to get a session or 2 with to make sure your swing form is good.
  • Fantasypugs
    Fantasypugs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just started with kettle bells. I found some free online workouts at first and just bought Jillian Michael's shred program. It has 2 levels. I am staying on level one for a bit as it really was a workout!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Be careful of Jillian Michaels kettlebell. She has very bad form especially her swings.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Be careful of Jillian Michaels kettlebell. She has very bad form especially her swings.

This^

Jillian's DVD got horrible reviews. She jumped on the kettlebell bandwagon before bothering to learn how to u$e them.

DVD options (check your local library).....Sarah Lurie, Paul Katami, Lauren Brooks.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I have been using kettlebells since mid-March. I watched a ton of videos, video'd myself, and read the form tips from the book "Simple and Sinister" a lot...I can now do 100 kb swings with a 16kg (~35lb) bell in under 5 minutes. Working on getting my hands on a 24kg bell soon.

I also found watching all sorts of general videos to be quite helpful. Some are in russian with english subtitles, but they're helpful. Valery Fedorenko has some good videos on where your callouses should be, which can help determine if your grip is wonky too.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I like "kettlercise", you can find instructors at some gyms, or they have DVDs you can purchase. Very serious about good form, provide lots of examples & guidance. Stay away from Jillian Michaels' kettlebell stuff...very dangerous.
  • LoraMartyn
    LoraMartyn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I would suggest finding a certified, reputable trainer in your area to get a session or 2 with to make sure your swing form is good.

I am going to use a 30 day free gym membership to do just that, Thank you!
  • LoraMartyn
    LoraMartyn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, I have a good place to start. And Jillian Michaels, ugh I don't like her anyway!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    This.

I agree on the JM kettle bell video (as much as I love her other workouts)... Definitely go to a certified trainer and don't use a video just yet. Perfect form is essential when it comes to kettle bells as it is so easy to injure yourself.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Look up the kettlebell workouts by BodyFit by Amy on youtube, I love her workouts. I go to a KB class once a week, but the rest of the time I follow those workouts at home.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Check Fitnessblender.com or their youtube channel. They have tons of workouts and I'm fairly certain I saw kettlebells on there when searching.