How many grams ?

munoma1
munoma1 Posts: 9 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys, how's it going? --I'm losing some weight and wanted to know how many grams of protein should I intake in a day & how many grams of carbs & sodium as well. I wanna better understand the nutrition facts in the back of foods to make sure I'm not going overboard! What's a good amount? I'm 5'3 161 and I want to lose 30 lbs. I do understand there's a app for that which is fitness pal obvi, but I wanna know about an average of what a person should intake in general. Thanks :)

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    MFP gives you a percentage breakdown of your protein, fat, and carbs. Try working with those numbers to start with then after a couple of months of logging see where your eating preferences lie and alter to suite you.
    A lot of people prioritize getting in their protein requirement first, then their fats, with carbs filling in the rest of the calories.

Treat the protein and fat goal as a minimum and don't worry if you go over.

I try to get 1g protein per 1 lbs of my body weight (because I am older and lift) so I have adjusted my macro percentages to 40carb, 30protien, and 30fat - but that is just because it suites me and my needs. You find what suites you.

Cheers, h.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    60 grams of protein would be a gram per kg of target BW which is in line with recommended intakes for population.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    General recommendation for protein is 1gr per on of lean mass. Assuming you are 30ish percent body fat, that would put you around 110 grams of protein.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    edited June 2016
    yarwell wrote: »
    60 grams of protein would be a gram per kg of target BW which is in line with recommended intakes for population.

This would also be for someone that doesn't workout and is eating maintenance. once you are in a deficit you require more protein in order to retain lean body mass. If you don't know your BF%, I would suggest getting 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight, as a minimum. So if your goal is 130 lbs that would be 104 grams of protein.

For fat, aim for a minimum of 0.35 grams per lb of body weight, 56 grams, or 0.45 grams per lb of goal weight 58 grams (either would work and should be seen as a minimum, fill the rest of cals with carbs, then use your fat and protein and min goals, and carbs as a max.

P 104g = 416 cals
    F 56g = 504 cal
    C remainder of cals. If you eat 1500 cals/day that would give you 580 cals = 145g
    so for % that would be 27.7% P, 33.6% F, 38.7% C or 25/35/40 would work.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

Only for sedentary individuals in maintenance. Not active people or those losing weight.
  • munoma1
    munoma1 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks guys! All of your answers were so helpful.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Only for sedentary individuals in maintenance. Not active people or those losing weight.

Yeah brotein.

She's 5'-3" LOL.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Yeah brotein.

She's 5'-3" LOL.

height doesn't matter. It is bases on Lean body mass, and whether they are trying to lose weight while limiting muscle loss.