I ran a MARATHON!

Options
First, a HUGE THANK YOU to the boards. I posted on here multiple times asking questions and looking for encouragement and it helped tremendously.

A little background: Exactly a year ago I got a Fitbit and realized I was getting a low 2000-3000 steps a day. I made it my goal to hit 10,000 each day and decided to start c25k. I could barely get through the first workout but felt so accomplished each time I completed one that I stuck with it. From there, I did the bridge to 10k app and then used a Hal Higdon plan to train for a half marathon. I was hooked!

I did my first HM in January, and have done 2 since then. I enjoyed the Hal Higdon plan and decided to use it again to start marathon training.

And a mini race recap: Miles 1-8 went by so quickly. The adrenaline carried me almost effortlessly (at the time, anyway). I joined a pace group and they went out too quickly for my liking, so I broke off from them and ran with another girl for the next 10 miles. Running with her helped so much. Going out fast definitely caught up with me around mile 13, and I really struggled until mile 17.

I stopped, took some Tylenol and kept going. My running buddy and I broke away around mile 18, but I knew I had a friend waiting for me at mile 21 which gave me a second wind. Seeing her was incredibly helpful and really pushed me to get through the last 5 miles. My legs were killing me but I knew if I stopped I wouldn't be able to start again, so I kept a good pace and finished strong. Running towards the finish line I saw my boyfriend, sister and brother-in-law and I completely lost it. Full on ugly cry. Best day of my life.

I finished in 4:32:14 and am thrilled with my time. I went from completely sedentary to running a marathon in a year and I've never been more proud of myself. Running has changed my life in ways I couldn't have imagined in the beginning. The confidence I have in myself and the relationship I have with my body is better than ever. I am so grateful and appreciative of my body's capabilities. It truly amazes me.

To anyone that made it this far, thank you for reading. And thank you again to the amazing support on these boards. Still on cloud 9 from the weekend!

TL;DR: I ran a *kitten* marathon and it was awesome.

And now, pictures!

Here I am - with zero chill - approaching the finish line.

axsvd2vpedg7.png

And the obligatory marathon finisher picture.

v4wo98gpx5ua.jpg

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Fantastic time too.

I didn't get flowers for mine. *kicks rocks*
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Very well done. My first Half is in September.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    You are AWESOME!!!!! What an amazing accomplishment!!! BRAVA!!!

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Congrats and nice job. That is a tremendous success!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!!! thanks for sharing and great work.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Great job :) I'm impressed.
  • Scorpio_Runner
    Scorpio_Runner Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That is so great, I too hope to run a marathon eventually. I'm training for a 10k in July but it looks like I will not be able to do it because of scheduling. I just found a 10 mile Island run in August that I think I will go for. 7 miles of it are running on the beach, packed sand though similar to dirt trail.

I'm so excited for you, this is helping me keep motivated. Thanks for sharing. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Amazing, well done! I did my first half last month... loved it! No desire to do a full though!!!!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I ran a MARATHON!

I'm sorry.

j/k - good job! :D
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Awesome! Fantastic time too.

I didn't get flowers for mine. *kicks rocks*

:flowerforyou:
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    That kicks *kitten*. I love this post.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    Amazing, well done! I did my first half last month... loved it! No desire to do a full though!!!!

I said that after the day of my first half and then registered for the full a week later. If you've made it a month, though, you're probably in the clear. ;)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I said that after the day of my first half and then registered for the full a week later. If you've made it a month, though, you're probably in the clear. ;)

I signed up for the same half next year the very next day... that'll do!!!

:laugh:
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! I'm very impressed. I had a similar start getting a fitbit about a year ago and I'm training for a half marathon now. Thanks for sharing!
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Wow, SO INSPIRING... A year?! I'm a Cardio Class Queen who dabbles in running ...would love to build past 5Ks one day.. Great job! Had me teary eyed at the end. :-)
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    Thank you all so much!

@Syneea - Thank you! I've pretty much been crying on and off since Saturday. ;)
  • WearRedLipstick
    WearRedLipstick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What an incredible accomplishment! You are so inspiring and I loved reading this post. From sedentary to marathoner in one year!! I am so proud of you. So very proud.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Wow-Incredible! I'm crying happy tears for you right now after reading your post. It's been an emotional day for me. Thanks for sharing and congratulations!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!