My Big Fat Fabulous Life

Options
elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
Not sure if this is considered off topic or not, but not sure what category it belongs in.

Anyway, has anyone here ever watched this show? I didn't see season 1, but after seeing the commercials, I started watching the new episodes from season 2.

If you have, what do you think about it?

To me it seems like she is in huge denial. She says that whe wants to be fat and considers herself healthy. No offense to anyone, but how is being 370 lbs healthy? This takes the HAES claim to a whole new level.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I've seen bits and pieces of it. She seems to have a fun personality but yes, she also seems to be in denial.

I like her mom. She's funny.
  • elphie754
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I've seen bits and pieces of it. She seems to have a fun personality but yes, she also seems to be in denial.

I like her mom. She's funny.

Haha so do I. I don't usually condone people who make jokes about someone weight, but some of what she says is hilarious. The episode I just watched her mom bought her a pig which I have a feeling was supposed to be symbolic. Then when she brought it home, she said something about not wanting to throw her under the bus (dad didn't want a pig) and then after a few second pause goes "I don't think there is enough bus to throw her".

mom22dogs wrote: »
    I've watched it for a while, and yes, she is in total denial. I think last week she said she likes being fat, but how on earth can she feel good being that heavy? She does have a bubbly personality, but I think it is covering up how she really feels. Plus, I think she's using PCOS as an excuse also.

100% agree.
    Char231023 wrote: »
    I tried watching a few episodes in the past. I couldn't watch it. She is truly in denial and blames her weight gain all on her PCOS (I know that disease causes weight gain but not that much). Also she promoting herself as this HAES to a level that is giving people a reason to remain extremely overweight.

I am not trying to offend anyone. I know it's had to lose weight. It's not fun having to give up eating they way you want. Not everybody can have a beach body, but don't try to fool yourself and everybody that will listen to you) into thinking you are perfectly healthy at 400+ lbs.

Exactly.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    80 lbs ago, I was fat and ok (not "happy," but ok) and technically in good health, but I was in pain and had no quality of life. That has to factor into the "health" equation, and if your favorite activity makes you pass out because of your weight, that's no quality of life.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I don't watch it, not even sure we get it here and if we do we're probably behind. I have seen a few clips on holiday though. Didn't she once lose 100lbs? Thus proving she is perfectly capable of losing weight she's just not in a place where can/wants to right now.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Oh, about the show: I've seen the commercials and found that they annoyed me. I have no interest in watching if that all is what the show is about.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Saw this once or twice year or so ago. Saw a recent commercial for an episode where she was panicking thinking she was having a heart attack.

So much for fat and healthy.
  • elphie754
    Options
    80 lbs ago, I was fat and ok (not "happy," but ok) and technically in good health, but I was in pain and had no quality of life. That has to factor into the "health" equation, and if your favorite activity makes you pass out because of your weight, that's no quality of life.

True and everyone deserves to be happy. I had no health problems when I was morbidly obese, but staying at that weight will lead to health problems eventually.
    I don't watch it, not even sure we get it here and if we do we're probably behind. I have seen a few clips on holiday though. Didn't she once lose 100lbs? Thus proving she is perfectly capable of losing weight she's just not in a place where can/wants to right now.

I believe so but not 100% sure.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    She makes me sad the same way I see the morbidly obese lass in my office claim to be happy about her size when I can see the pain she is in moving and how she has to drag herself up a flight of stairs with the handrail and how she has to sit before she passes out becasr she's stood up for too long.

You don't need to be sad for them. If they say they are happy they probably are. When you have been obese your entire life it feels like the norm and whatever inconveniences they have probably feel like minor annoyances. You need to have been a happy morbidly obese person to understand. I was one. Life was great. So what if stairs made me feel like my lungs were almost literally going to explode? A minor discomfort that lasts a couple of minutes. Sure beats the chronic achilles tendinitis I developed trying to get fit. It feels like more of an obstacle in the way of something I like to do (running) than obesity ever was.

I have never seen the show because I don't do reality TV (too much drama for my taste) so I can't provide a real opinion about it. All I know is that if she is promoting being morbidly obese as healthy or blaming it on a certain disease she is dead wrong. My negative judgement stops there though. I don't believe what she is promoting would have any real impact because it feels more like preaching to the choir. Many obese people often want to lose weight for various reasons, and those who would gravitate towards her opinion often weren't planning to lose weight anyway. I sure as heck don't see a normal weight person listening to her then deliberately getting fat.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I watched some of season 1. When it became apparent that it wasn't going to be a feel good "she beat it" kind of story, I had a hard time watching.

She seems to be willing to make changes in season 2 (or 3?). I'm sure weight loss, and the identity association with the show (fat and fabulous), makes long term weight loss even more difficult.

I wish her all the best.

And yes, Babs is awesome!