Working out when sick.

Options
I have a sore throat and feel pretty blah. No congestion. No fever but I'm taking Tylenol so who knows. I'm thinking of doing some light weights. Do you work out when you're sick?

Replies

• mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I work out every time I'm sick, unless it's stomach related. Take Kleenex just in case. Get a good sweat on and you will feel better. I generally do cardio of some sort, or elliptical.
  • wtliftchick
    wtliftchick Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you are sick, you should just stay home instead of going to the gym and infecting the rest of the world. Irresponsible behaviour.

I work out in my basement. And you're judgemental. You get nasty without checking facts. That's rude behaviour.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    If you are sick, you should just stay home instead of going to the gym and infecting the rest of the world. Irresponsible behaviour.

f7FdEdG.jpg
  • wtliftchick
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »
    I work out every time I'm sick, unless it's stomach related. Take Kleenex just in case. Get a good sweat on and you will feel better. I generally do cardio of some sort, or elliptical.

You are tough! I have friends that swear a good sweat helps them feel better. I've never tried it so I can't really say one way or the other. I think I'll go for a walk tonight when the temperature drops. I don't think I have the energy for anything more intense.
  • wtliftchick
    edited June 2016
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

f7FdEdG.jpg

Again, I work out in my basement. But thanks for the M. Freeman.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    The post right after yours said to bring Kleenex so someone was saying it's ok to go to the gym while sick.
  • wtliftchick
    Options
    Accusing me of infecting the world and being irresponsible is certainly not friendly or positive.
    Thank you cutaway for admitting the 'bad' as you put it.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Mine was a more general statement just in case others reading think it's ok to go to the gym sick
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I will workout when I have a headache or sinus drainage, but if I am feeling feverish, sneezing, coughing etc, no way. I workout at a gym, not home and I have no desire to make other people sick. Besides, a sick body needs its resources for recuperation, not muscle building.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Accusing me of infecting the world and being irresponsible is certainly not friendly or positive.
    It wasn't personal. Just general advice for people who are sick to stay away from the gym. That's how I took it.

I like to assume that people here mean well unless they start saying rude and nasty things.
  • wtliftchick
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    It wasn't personal. Just general advice for people who are sick to stay away from the gym. That's how I took it.

I like to assume that people here mean well unless they start saying rude and nasty things.

Fair enough.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I would freak if I saw that as I am immunosuppressed!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I work out if Im sick from the waist up and feeling well enough to do so nothing extreme. if its from the waist down I dont until things are back to normal. if you feel well enough then work out,if you start feeling bad or dont have the energy then stop and rest.
  • mattengland
    mattengland Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If your symptoms are all above your neck, you'll be ok. If you're achy or dizzy don't bother!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »

I hope you also work out at home.
  • therezeal
    therezeal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. Take a day or two off and rest. You won't lose any gains by not working out. You should rest versus allowing yourself to not recover from your illness. I usually never workout if I am sick, I want my body to fully recover so if that means taking day or two off, that is what I do.