Starting Over ... Yet Again

Options
Hi Guys,

I'm new to message boards. Signed up for Premium tonight in the hopes that spending the money will help keep me accountable. This has been an ok year for me in terms of losing (10 lbs down from a year ago), but I'm starting to gain again. I've had a taste of success and I want more! I am grateful for any motivation, tips, success stories ... I need to succeed so badly as my very life depends on it. After all this time (20+ years) trying to lose weight, I realize I haven't been trying very hard. I've vowed to be honest with myself and really do the work. I'm terrified and determined at the same time.

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Honesty will take you far. That and a food scale. Best wishes!
  • LizSmith55
    LizSmith55 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yup...what do they say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem? Well...sounds like you took the first step. Good luck! You see so many success stories on here...which means you can do it too!! Just take it seriously & no excuses...
  • FrancesLyon
    FrancesLyon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello and this is my first time posting but my second time using my fitness. I started over a year ago and lost over 30 pounds and gained 27 of them back. Motivation is definitely the key and having a cheering partner. This is my 7th day and I have seen some progress so I'm pushing through.
  • char362
    char362 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with FrancesLyon. I lost 30 pounds in the past and gained most of it back. Having a very hard time getting it back off again. I've changed some approaches from my previous dieting and I'm focusing on much more muscle building, but the fat (judged by clothes fit and annual body comp tests) is not coming off. I know I have some horrible eating habits but I can't seem to shake them. I have thought about going premium to see if the monetary portion will motivate me, but I don't want to spend the money and find myself not tracking.
  • cqueenbee12
    cqueenbee12 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've started over and over again on mfp for the last 4 years. I really need to start doing it. My husband has stuck with it and lost 60 pounds. Myself I haven't stuck with it but I have managed to lose 10 pounds so far. I really need some ladies to help chat with and become friends to motivate each other.
  • tattoogal77
    tattoogal77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This is probably my 3rd or 4th time back on MFP but I think this time will be different because something has clicked in me where I want to be more active, not just eating better. I am going to officially start tracking food again on Thursday after since I weigh in every Thurs for my TOPS meeting. You can do it, just remind yourself of the reasons why you want to change, make a motivation board/poster that you will see everyday. You are in the right place for support!
  • tantamount5
    tantamount5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm frustrated!I had lost 30lbs.on it and I've gained it back and then some.im having a tough time getting started even though I know it works!
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have te same issues! I'm a yo-yo. I found MFP and thought, "this is awesome!" I used it consistently, got a gym membership and went every day, and lost 42 pounds! I was so excited! Then my little brother and his wife came to visit me and constantly bought pizza and Taco Bell and sonic ... Almost every day. It COMPLETLY there off my eating habits, AND I didn't go to the gym because, well, my brother was visiting from out of state. THEN I got my dream job; teaching science. I had a lot of stuff to do to get ready, continued to eat the junk, and continued to not exercise. After my first year of teaching, I had gained 27 of those 42 pounds back. I was so mad at me! I got back on MFP pretty diligently, and lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks. Then it got really hot. Then my teenagers and their girlfriends wanted to go to do stuff. How do you say no when your TEENAGERS want to hang out with you?!?! Impossible! So for the last 5 days, I've been eating junk again, and not exercising like I should. I gained 7 of those 12 lbs back! What in the world!?!? Yesterday, I worked my booty off because I had to get my brakes changed, so I went for a walk while I waited, which was almost 7 miles. Then my teenagers wanted to go to the lake for the day and BBQ. I still ate junk, but burned a LOT of calories and lost 1.4 lbs in one day. And my calves are now killing me. Lol. I'm back at it today. I have 2 months of summer vacation left, and I will be down 15 lbs before I go back to school.
    Feel free to add me. We all have times we "screw up," but maybe we can motivate each other and reach our goals together.
    Good luck everyone!
  • AlainMostaert
    AlainMostaert Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There is no time like the present. Never mind what happened before, what you did or did not do. If you have the conviction now, something will happen. But know that the force has to come from within. People can support you but in the end it is up to you !
    If you need support, do not hesitate...
  • cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a partner. Even if its a virtual one. Having a person hold you accountable makes it so much easier to stick to it. Especially on the days you want to say "no", and they don't let you. Good luck!
  • AHealthyMe1lbAtATime
    AHealthyMe1lbAtATime Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm starting over again as well. It is so hard... But being honest with ourselves is key to success. No one else can lose the weight. Add me if you like. I could use a few motivational buddies;)
  • mrsgoss
    mrsgoss Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello and this is my first time posting but my second time using my fitness. I started over a year ago and lost over 30 pounds and gained 27 of them back. Motivation is definitely the key and having a cheering partner. This is my 7th day and I have seen some progress so I'm pushing through.

Same her, I used my MFP about 2 yrs ago with great success, had knee surgery and gained everything back and then some!!! I am on day 7 and just trying to take it one day at a time..be accountable and build a strong network of people around me on here that I can turn to and be honest with when I am having a rough day. Please feel free to add me, would love some friends and support!