The weird feeling you're disappearing (in a good way)....

Options
Hiya
Just wondered if anyone else has experienced or is experiencing this. It's so odd, my brain can't adapt to the smaller version of me. I will go to put my hands my my sides and my sides will not be there. I am literally clutching at thin air. It is such a strange sensation. Do you get used to it? Will it take as long being smaller as I was bigger before brain adapts?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    How long since you were at your heaviest?
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I do this lying on my side at night and where my hand used to rest on the side of my belly, I now keep a pillow. It's really nice though. I grin when I find these disappearing areas. It makes my heart sing.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'm still dealing with having my bones poking out. Scratching my chest is more painful without all the extra fat covering the openings between the ribs. I keep asking hubby if everyone has these things that poke out on the sides. "Yes, hon, everyone has hip bones."
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    How long since you were at your heaviest? -- about 10 years (245)
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I totally understand that feeling. When I go to squeeze through a gap (like in a restaurant or whatever) I still get that anxiety that I won't fit. When I fit through without even touching anything it still blows my mind. Idk how long it will be until I'm used to taking up less space.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It also gets to me when I am laying down at night on my side. My hand will tend lay on my hip, and I have to spend a minute or two rubbing my fingers over the contours of my hip bones. It's a great feeling.
  • zestyzesty
    zestyzesty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    How long since you were at your heaviest?

Hiya. It is a bit over 2 years now. I have lost 83 lbs over that space of time (more to lose still).
  • zestyzesty
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »
    I do this lying on my side at night and where my hand used to rest on the side of my belly, I now keep a pillow. It's really nice though. I grin when I find these disappearing areas. It makes my heart sing.

Aw really. Go you! Do you find yourself colder, too? Constantly feel the cold so much more, not as much insulation now!
  • zestyzesty
    Options
    knelson095 wrote: »
    I totally understand that feeling. When I go to squeeze through a gap (like in a restaurant or whatever) I still get that anxiety that I won't fit. When I fit through without even touching anything it still blows my mind. Idk how long it will be until I'm used to taking up less space.

Soooo true!
  • WordWhisperer
    WordWhisperer Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm not the only one!

I've been telling people my hips are not where I left them, and noticing that I can feel my ribs when my arms hang at my side when I walk. Oh, and as someone else said, I'm always terrified I won't fit into a chair that isn't even a tight squeeze anymore.

When did these things happen??
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I've gotten so used to it that I feel fat again lol.

But yes, I remember that feeling. I used to jam my hips into things and bruise my hip bones because I guess I walked around seining my big booty everywhere before but had cushion.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I still walk and keep myself big. It's fun to slip into an airplane seat. To be honest I don't focus on a smaller body size anymore. I focus on looking good naked. Having a smaller body is great (alas I don't like buying a new wardrobe because it is stupid expensive). Looking good naked though... That takes a lot of time. It's more than a scale which I personally love.

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    zestyzesty wrote: »
    mommazach wrote: »

Aw really. Go you! Do you find yourself colder, too? Constantly feel the cold so much more, not as much insulation now!

I've always hated the cold but now I notice it even more.

As far as learning to readjust yes I've been heavy for too many years and I'm beginning to do stuff that I used to do when I was in high school and college it's a learning curve because my body's been used to being heavy and overweight for so many years. Now it's a matter of my brain relearning and compensating for the weight loss.
    Sometimes I look at myself in the mirror and I go is that me. I see muscle tone and my ribs it's stuff that I haven't seen for years. The first time this year I laid out on the beach I put my hands on my belly and I felt my rib cage I had to feel it a couple times it was the weirdest sensation. Good luck it sounds like you're definitely on the right Road
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I still can't get used to my shoulders being wider than my hips, and my hipbones are a source of constant wonder :)
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I look at myself in the mirror at the gym and can't believe it's me. I still see the 108lb heavier woman. When I lay on my back in bed my ribcage sticks out. I'm feeling bones I never knew were under there ;) LOL
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'm still dealing with having my bones poking out. Scratching my chest is more painful without all the extra fat covering the openings between the ribs. I keep asking hubby if everyone has these things that poke out on the sides. "Yes, hon, everyone has hip bones."

That is the part that trips me out. I can actually see my collar bone and my shoulder blades. When I am lying in bed and I rest my hand on my hip I feel my hip bone. Every time it shocks me.
  • moodygnome
    moodygnome Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    knelson095 wrote: »

Ooh! I'm going to try that this weekend!