Big journey ahead...

I was sitting at the top of a slide on a playground. That's when it hit me like a ton of bricks... I was too big. Tears welled up in my eyes and I had a giant lump in my throat. My little girls cheered me on to go down the slide. I felt like time was frozen as I looked down at my wide hips and big belly. Why did I let myself go?!?! The tears ran down my face as I looked at my beautiful, smiling little girls. I looked over to my husband who had a worried and somewhat panicked look on his face. In a shaky voice I told him, "I can't do this anymore."
That was two weeks ago. Since then, I asked for a fitness tracker for my wrist and a high quality shake to aid in weightloss for my b-day (1 ½ week ago). I officially started tracking my weight, food and exercise 6 days ago. I'm down 5 pounds as of this morning.
I want to get to 180lbs which leaves me over 100lbs to drop. I want to, no, I need to do this... for my little girls and myself. I have a long journey ahead of me and I mustn't turn back.

Replies

• Mark_Thompson_833
    Mark_Thompson_833 Posts: 21 Member
    Making the decision to change is the first step. Add me as a friend if you like :)
  • suzyweightloss
    suzyweightloss Posts: 1 Member
    I am new and trying to get my weight down. I need to lose about 70 pounds. It sounds like you are getting a good start. I need to start moving more and watching what I take in and drink more water. It sounds like you have a great reason and have set good goals. We can do this!! I just keep telling myself one step at a time!!!
  • pjhankin
    pjhankin Posts: 24 Member
    Hi Kell. 5lbs is a great start. Well Done! Diabetes was the kick up the backside for me. I started with ambitions of 2lb per week then 1lb and was falling way short. I then used MFP and went for 0.5lb per week and found that it was easier to keep under the calorie goal to the point that I was losing more. I like rice, pasta, bread etc but rather than cut out completely, I reduced the amount I was having and ate a little more veg and salad - not a drastic change. I also increased my exercise - GRADUALLY, rather than going all out, as I knew that regular failure to reach over ambitious goals would result in failure. So, I eat a varied diet (good and bad), watch my portions and make sure I exercise regularly. I was 15 stone when I started May 2015 - now I ride over 100 miles on a bike every week at 12 stone 5lbs. MFP definitely works, but patience and commitment is the key. Get some supportive friends on here - you don't need hundreds, just a good selection of different people who will occasionally give you a little boost now and again with a simple "like" or "well done". You've done the hard bit in making the decision to do something and like me, your kids will be the incentive. I'm pretty much hit and miss with my comments (always seem to be busy!) but add me if you want and I'll support you when I can - Best of luck!
  • janettekathleen
    janettekathleen Posts: 24 Member
    I am still very new to this as well - would like to lose 100 pounds! I have only just begun - but have lost 8. I have a LONG way to go. But I am in the same boat - I want to do this for me....and my kids too. I don't feel like a good role model at the present time.
  • wtliftchick
    wtliftchick Posts: 84 Member
    You have a great start and even better motivation! Feel free to add me as a friend for support and encouragement.
  • upgrade_2_fit
    upgrade_2_fit Posts: 6 Member
    I need to lose over 100lbs as well. I was doing good when I first was on my journey but I let temptation get me when I was on vacation and never returned. I am determined this time to set up a support system and create a routine and stick to my food prep so temptation and the unknown won't ruin it for me. I wish you massive luck on your journey. You can do this!!
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Great job joining this. If you are on fitbit, send me a request. I'll send you a message. I love my daily challenges. I move so much better. Take before pictures now! You'll want them for the success board later. And congrats on looking for healthier options. We're here to root you on. Add me if you would like. Best of luck.
  • mmanchester68
    mmanchester68 Posts: 66 Member
    This website was the best thing that's happened to my health. Good luck and feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • minasweightloss
    minasweightloss Posts: 4 Member
    Your post made me cry, well done to you lovely lady :) I'm into my 5th week now and have lost 7kg which is just over 15pounds. Still have 61 kg to go (131pounds) so not even close to my finish line.. I'm starting to see results though and just like you, I need this... It's time... I don't even know you and am incredibly proud of you xxx
    Feel free to add me and we can cheer each other on.. (I have no idea how to add people lol)