Budget-friendly, healthy recipes wanted

Options
rph2t
rph2t Posts: 34 Member
Hello! I was hoping to get some ideas for budget friendly meals. I am going back to school in the fall, and I want to keep going strong, but without a full-time job, my income is taking a solid hit. I know it is possibly to keep a calorie deficit, but I want food that I'll enjoy eating, not something that will just fill my stomach.

Also, I'm trying to eat less meat, more fish, poultry, and vegetarian meals, so if anyone has advice there, fire away.

And I also want to contribute, so if you're in the same boat, here are some of my best:

Salmon croquettes:

1 can salmon
2 tbsp mayo (light, if you want to lower the calories a bit)
2tbsp ranch (again, you can opt for light)
.25 cup breadcrumbs
Seasoning (I use salt, pepper, and maybe some old bay. You could probably throw in soy instead of salt, or worchestshire sauce)
1 egg

Mix together, form into small patties, and place in a well-seasoned cast iron or non-stick skillet (feel free to use some cooking spray. You don't want these babies to stick. It's not pretty.) until golden brown. Serve with veggies, side salad, maybe some beans if need a bigger meal and have the calories. The salmon is the most expensive part, but I get a can at Aldis for about $3.50, making this recipe a fairly cheap way to get in some healthy salmon. I usually get about 3 servings out of it, good for one meal for two and a leftover lunch. They do heat up fairly well.

Turkey Chili

1 lb gr turkey (can also use beef or chicken, whatever you got a good deal on)
1 can each of: black beans, kidney beans, chili beans, diced tomatoes (I mix and match, whatever I have on hand)
1 can tomato sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
Seasoning (Salt, pepper, chili powder, red pepper flakes)

Brown turkey, with seasonings and add brown sugar to the meat before you stir in your cans. Dump all cans in together. Allow to simmer for as long as you can wait before dinner. Minimum 15 minutes. I usually serve this with a little brown rice, or cheese if you want some more protein. Fairly low in calories, high in protein. I get about 6 servings out of this, and it makes GREAT leftover. The most pricey part is actually probably the cans. If you grow tomatoes or use dried beans, feel free to modify. I find that using cans saves me so much time that I can't justify the slight price difference. If you get the cans on sale, though, you can usually get this pot for less than $10, and as I said, if can cover several meals. If you're a meal planner, you could probably make it at the beginning for the week, portion it out, and freeze any extra.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Check skinnytaste.com. Plenty of great ideas for what you are looking for!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    budgetbytes.com as well
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of beans.
    Cabbage is inexpensive as well.
    WHITE BEANS AND CABBAGE
    http://steamykitchen.com/14838-white-beans-and-cabbage.html
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium potato, scrubbed and cut into tiny dice
    3-4 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
    1/2 onion, minced
    One 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
    3 cups (8 ounces) very finely shredded green cabbage
    fine-grain sea salt

• inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Instagram - Mynxx
    Low cal, heathy ideas:
    Tuna Patties
    Brocoli & quiona bake
    Cous Cous salad
    Veggie Burgers
  • rph2t
    rph2t Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I use a lot of beans.
    WHITE BEANS AND CABBAGE
    1/2 onion, minced
    fine-grain sea salt

Omg I love white beans! Gonna try this for sure.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I use a lot of beans.
    WHITE BEANS AND CABBAGE
    1/2 onion, minced
    fine-grain sea salt

Ooh, this sounds good, thanks!

I agree with cabbage being inexpensive and really versatile, I really like an Ethiopian dish named Atkilt (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/236247/ethiopian-cabbage-and-potato-dish-atkilt/ - I don't use more than a tablespoon of oil for the whole thing) right now, it makes a ton and tastes great.
    I also like bean/pea soups, if you make them from dried beans it is incredibly cheap and very filling. I throw all kinds of vegetables in usually that I can find to bulk it up some.
    Salads made from regular lettuce (not some fancy salad mix) are also not expensive, so I usually do that a few nights a week, can also throw in carrots, beans, tomatoes etc (any veggie again really). Eat with a couple of eggs makes it a nice and complete meal for me.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of red lentils. Super cheap. and the soup can be frozen for another day. I make one with red curry paste.

I've been experimenting with bean burgers and mushroom burgers too.

Sweet potatoes paired with spicy black beans are a great combo.

Chick peas are another favorite..add to lettuce salads or a grain salad.. my favorite is roasted eggplant and onion add to your grain of choice, a little lemon juice/ olive oil and mix in any chopped herb if you have it, feta or black olives. Super good the next day.
  • Ekrenz
    Ekrenz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite, easy go to meals! Quinoa is awesome when properly flavored-I like adding an adobo seasoning, top with cilantro & avocado.
    http://damndelicious.net/2014/04/09/one-pan-mexican-quinoa/
  • jknightcfi
    jknightcfi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recommend checking out Jamie Oliver's website and his recipes. He is a great chef and has lots of easy healthy meals.