Having a hard time

Options
I always tell myself that I am going to eat healthier but I am always tempted by junk food. I always over eat because I just don't know how to stop. Any advice??

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Measure portions and put the rest away before you start eating. Don't purchase junk; if you don't have it you can't eat it. This has been my method.
  • spiritbrat
    spiritbrat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I wish I had great advice. I need ten more pounds gone!! Ugg!

• RosemaryBronte
    RosemaryBronte Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If I eat enough healthy food, then the power of junk gradually decreases. Also setting up habits like going to bed earlier can help to strengthen you. Also try this. Relax the muscles around your eyes. Notice how this relaxes your head and shoulders. Let the relaxation in your shoulders flow down your arms and body, pooling in your tummy area. Imagine that good feeling is love or happiness and let it soothe you. You may notice that you feel quite satisfied and even too full. You can use that relaxation technique to help make food more satisfying. It's free and you can do it simply any time, even between mouthful of food.
  • dac097
    dac097 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I am being seriously tempted to eat something I shouldn't I tell myself I can only have some if I still want it AFTER first eating something healthy like fruit or a salad with a healthy vinaigrette. For me a cup of strawberries or an orange work best because both are quite sweet and have a lot of fiber which makes them filling. Nine times out of ten I no longer want the junk after eating the healthy food. And the other one out of 10 times I find that I don't overdo it as much with the junk food as I would have otherwise.

I also think it helps to have a list written down of all the reasons you want to succeed at losing weight that you can read through when in the middle of a craving. Wishing you luck!
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Portion out your snacks in individual bags or bowls etc and put the remainder back in the cabinet! Also, make sure you are drinking PLENTY of water. That will help tremendously with cravings. I also like to chew gum in between my scheduled snacks/meals.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Do you have your stats input here and have a calorie goal set? If so, do you weigh and measure your food? Seeing the actual numbers when you log it makes a HUGE difference in learning portion sizes and better eating habits.

You can still eat fast food, but eat less of it. When you say you "don't know how to stop", what exactly causes you to keep eating? Is it because you have a certain amount of food in front of you and want to finish it? Or is it due to boredom or anxiety? Or have you never learned what proper portion sizes look like (which is sadly common but can easily be learned)? Getting specific as to your why usually helps.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You got to want to lose the weight more than you want the junk food. That's the ONLY thing that will work.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    What is your definition of eating healthier food? :grey_question::grey_question:

Maybe you have put too tight a limit on yourself.
  • lizzieloo934
    lizzieloo934 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I tend to crave and want junk when I am not eating enough food throughout the day. Perhaps you are restricting yourself too much?

I also find that you need to ponder all the potential whys of your eating junk. ie do you eat junk to cope with emotions? do you prefer it over your cooking? Is it easier to buy McD's than cook? And then once you pinpoint the problem you can work on a solution.
  • xlgman
    xlgman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Eat good food often throughout the day. I find that if I eat good size, filling snacks (with protein) between my three main meals, it keeps the hunger and cravings at bay. The longer I go between "feedings", the more cravings I get for the less healthy foods.
  • jayele72
    jayele72 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For me it was mental. I started by watching a couple documentaries on Netflix. Fed Up was a good start. That got me "angry" and sugar and processed foods. Then I bought a Vitamix and it all happened very naturally and unforced.