Eating anything you want?

Options
When doing this whole counting calories thing is it alright to eat anything you want as long as it's under your calorie range? Will I still lose weight? I exercise 5 days a week for about and hour and a half so I'm exercising as well. Power walking on the treadmill, biking, and weights.

Replies

• KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Best to still be mindful of your sodium and fats and sugars, if you still eat a ton of them, even within your calorie limit, you may not have the success you're after.

Good luck!

Katie
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    When doing this whole counting calories thing is it alright to eat anything you want as long as it's under your calorie range? Will I still lose weight? I exercise 5 days a week for about and hour and a half so I'm exercising as well. Power walking on the treadmill, biking, and weights.

Not all calories are created equal. Any food item starting with a fast food restaurant name should be avoided. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goal is. If your only concern is weight loss, then yes. As long as you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight. But if healthy weight loss is your goal, then no. To be healthy you need to eat healthy.
  • mom2sbbj
    mom2sbbj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What's worked for me is to "allow" myself anything I want so that I don't feel deprived, BUT, before I eat something I tell myself "Yes, its allowed, but will it benefit me? I'm not in this JUST to lose weight. My main goal is to be healthier. That means giving my body healthy foods so it has the nutrients it needs and being careful of how much fat, sugars, sodium and calories I'm taking in. So, while I allow myself to indulge in my favorite pizza or chocolate occasionally, I limit the amounts so that the majority of my calories are from healthy foods.

Good luck!
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Within reason, yes! I'm eating chocolate right now! Obviously, that said, you want to eat a healthy and balanced diet, partly because it's good for you and partly because eating lots of fruit and veg and lean protein and so on will help to fill you up. But, if you want to eat something in particular there's no reason you can't work an appropriately-sized portion of it in from time to time...
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goal is. If your only concern is weight loss, then yes. As long as you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight. But if healthy weight loss is your goal, then no. To be healthy you need to eat healthy.

Took the words right out of my mouth. There are many unhealthy 'thin' people for this very reason.
  • cieraangel
    cieraangel Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Exactly right. 1200 calories is 1200 calories, but you also want to be healthy. Calories don't take into consideration sodium, cholesterol, sugar etc. All of these things are still important because it can lead to heart disease or diabetes if abused regularly.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Mathmatically yes you can eat anything and stll lose weight.
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    Options
    not all calories have the same nutritional values, count your carbs, sugar, sodium, fat... very important too
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    if you google "not all calories are created equal" you'll find a lot of articles on the topic
  • brookeaarnold
    brookeaarnold Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    definitely not, I would watch carbs, fat and sodium as well. When I started doing this, calories made no difference for me, it was in the carbs and fat that helped me to start losing weight.
  • hng2101
    hng2101 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would give "eating what you want" a try... but it comes with sacrifice. I will STARVE all day in anticipation of a pre-planned high calorie meal. Most times the high calorie meal is not that satisfying because it will fail to fill me up, or will trigger more cravings (I am a notorious sweet tooth). So unless you have lots of will power, it's easier to stick to the foods you know are working.

What's even more difficult is doing the reverse of above. Say you eat a large breakfast... well then the rest of the day you're going to be hungry. I had banana chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast last Sunday and decided to eat as many as I wanted (3). So for the rest of the day I only had about 500 calories to eat (that's only 250 for lunch, 250 for dinner plus any exercise calories I earned (about another 200)). It was miserable but I did it and the one day of indulgent eating did not hurt me at all I just really had to be careful what I ate the rest of the day. If I hadn't built up my will power this high I would definitely have caved into the "but I'm still hungry" feeling at lunch time, ate a lot, felt lousy and not worked out.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Give me strength.....
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Yes you should still lose. Watch the salt though it will make you retain water.
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    I limit my carbs and sugar and eat lots of fruits and veg. I am a vegetarian so my diet also contains beans of different types, lentils and veggie burger/textured veg protein/soy too. I have found some great subs for meat that keep me full and give me enough protein.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Sure, once in a while. But your main diet should consist of nutrient packed food. That will help give you the energy to keep going and stay healthy.

But, of course, there are those days you just have to have some chocolate, or birthday cake, or something. Just keep it to small amounts and don't go overboard. This is, after all, a lifestyle change, not just a temporary "till the weight's gone" thing (at least, it should be if you want to maintain a healthy lifestyle), so make it all what you can live with.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Think of your calories as a daily "budget." Because you are limiting your calories - you want the most "bang for your buck."

Processed foods can be very high calorie, but have low nutritional value (empty calories). You will spend precious calories and not feel full.

Whole foods tend to have a higher nutritional value (fiber, protein, complex carbs) - these will keep you full longer.
  • grimnir
    grimnir Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want. If you want faster results, cut your carbs way back. LOTS of people have problems with gluten and don't even know it, so if your diet isn't working eating what you want, go without for a couple weeks, see if it jump starts your weight loss. Also, carbs don't do enough to keep you full between meals, so you're hungry a lot more. Protein is the thing you'll probably have the hardest time getting enough of (particularly if you're poor), but getting no less than 20% of your calories from protein will make a huge difference in how you feel, how much weight you lose, how much muscle you can build (or at least retain), and especially in how strong your hunger between meals will be.

My top 3 dieting tips:

Eat frequently
    Eat your veggies
    Track everything
  • vatruitt
    vatruitt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Mathmatically yes you can eat anything and stll lose weight.

What this guy said. However I'd watch the intake of various nutrients to make sure you don't land up with a deficiency later on.

I eat whatever I want and it is great at controlling hunger and cravings.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I lost about 25 pounds 2 years ago by limiting calories only and eating pretty much whatever I wanted but making sure to log everything. It will work for most people. I find that if I tell myself I won't eat that thing or that I will only have so much per day, I end up with cravings and I MUST have it. That's when the plan fails for me. But if I don't restrict my food and just count calories, I find that I tend to make slightly better choices. After all, a 100 calorie apple is so much more food than 100 calories of french fries. But sometimes you just gotta have those fries!!