Help!! It's urgent

Options
I've been going off track with my weight loss for the past few weeks. Eating over my calorie limit and being too lazy to exercise has been the norm for the past few weeks. Have you got any tips for me to get back on track? I haven't been feeling motivated lately and I have gained 2lbs. Help :(

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What's urgent about that... just eat in a deficit...
  • hollyberry6182
    hollyberry6182 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Set a date to really start again. You'll be prepared then and excited to start.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Obviously it isn't "urgent" enough, for it were, the urgency would motivate you to make the necessary changes you are currently too lazy to make.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    When I saw Urgent I thought we were gonna have to call 911. ;)

So now that all is calm, just start back tomorrow with a renewed commitment! Not rocket science.. JUST DO IT!
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Get rid of all the fattening food in your house so you can't go over. 2 lbs is a cakewalk. You can lose that in a week.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    In my line of work people confuse "urgent" with "important" all the time. Weight loss is not urgent. In fact it practically demands extended persistence.

But weight loss is important. I am sure you can come up with a bunch of reasons.

Why don't we do the most important things? Because our attention spans are so short. And there are so many distracting things. Like beer and chips.

You might try mini-goals that are a week long each, and re-assess at the same time every week. I prefer behavioral goals rather than weight, as weight loss is a byproduct of other decisions, and sometimes a great week discipline-wise does not show up on the scale right away. Doesn't work well for those of us with short attention spans.

A mini-goal might be, "I'll log my food five days out of seven this week."
  • sarahfeelingood
    sarahfeelingood Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Getting in a rut like that is hard. I like the response from vingogly about making a list of pros and cons. Yes it's important to lose weight but I believe there are times in our lives where we cannot focus and make those commitments. For instance I took a few months away because I am going through a challenging hospital based clinical program and fighting an anxiety disorder. I would say at least try to maintain if you take a break like that. Now that graduation is less than a week away I am getting excited to revisit my weight loss goals. Maybe just try to maintain until you can identify and address the source of your feeling blue.

Sarah
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Divide a sheet of paper into four boxes; label the columns "Positives" and "Negatives", and the rows "Losing Weight" and "Staying the Same". Put down all the positives and negatives you can think of in the four cells, think long and hard about the results, and decide whether you're ready to lose the weight at this time. If not, mark a date to revisit the issue a month from now and revisit your positives and negatives and that time to see if you're ready. You say it's urgent, but at the same time you're saying you're eating too much and not exercising. That's not a battle the rest of us can fight for you.

Here's an example:

http://www.cellinteractive.com/ucla/weight/pros_cons.html

This is brilliant. I may have to try it myself in times of need........
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    It's a pain to be in a funk.

I like @vingogly's suggestion very much.

You could pre-log your food for tomorrow and adhere to the plan just for one day no matter what it took and see how you felt the next morning when you awakened and realized you stayed on plan.

Sometimes I go to a movie to change my mood. I go in one person and come out another. It's like a warp where I shed my funk.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
  • SurfCityBeachGuy
    SurfCityBeachGuy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Im doing it so that means you can do it ! Keep a Positive Attitude. Just Eat Less ! You can do it !!
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Normal to gain a few back and lose motivation. Do not despair. Things typically turn around again if you are serious about losing weight.