So hard to gain weight

Options
I am a skinny guy and want to gain some muscle mass. I know I need to eat more and I did for about 2 months(gained about 5 pounds) but it is so hard and i feel miserable STuffing my face with clean plain foods. I am in a conundrum. At the age of 45 i want to get bigger but I am miserable when i try. but I am better shape then most at my age( just be happy with my size) but I am still skinny!! What to do what to do..

Replies

• manowarrule
    manowarrule Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi! Have you tried drinking high calorie drinks to replace a solid meal? It can help break the monotony.
  • Patrycjajedraszczyk92
    Patrycjajedraszczyk92 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would recommend serious mass.. You can get them from any supliment shops, bit on a pricey side bit defo worth it
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eat dirty.
  • JuicerLab
    JuicerLab Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow, great thing you wanna gain ;) Just eat like there's no tomorrow, even if you're not a big eater, you can still gain. Instead of eating enormous amounts three times a day, try eating a more normal amount every two hours or so. That way, you can get down a lot of food in a day, without feeling like you're bursting all the time.

Focus on carbs. Don't overdo the junk food, you can gain weight in a more healthy way too by just upping the amounts of bread, potatoes, pasta and rice (complex carbs) you eat. Sugary fruits are also a healthy option (simple carbs).
    Simple carbs are a great way to gain weight as they do not make you feel full, like fats and protein do.

Up your protein and fat intake as well, just not as extremely. Eat a lot of nuts and nut like foods (peanuts, almonds etc.). Every kind of dairy you consume, make it full fat, not skimmed.

Working out could also help you get healthier, you burn more calories, but you can also eat more, and muscle is quite heavy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am a skinny guy and want to gain some muscle mass. I know I need to eat more and I did for about 2 months(gained about 5 pounds) but it is so hard and i feel miserable STuffing my face with clean plain foods. I am in a conundrum. At the age of 45 i want to get bigger but I am miserable when i try. but I am better shape then most at my age( just be happy with my size) but I am still skinny!! What to do what to do..

That is your problem. You have erroneous rules which limits foods choices. Diets are about context and you don't have to cut out everything based on some rules that aren't accurate. And considering how easy it is to hit nutritional goals at maintenance levels, just add in some less nutritious items and call it a day.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • Patrycjajedraszczyk92
    Options
    I would really oppose from eating frequently as this will speed your metabolism.. you wanna eat larger meals 3 times a day and snacks in between this will slow your metabolism right down!! Which would be mean quicker weight gain
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I would really oppose from eating frequently as this will speed your metabolism.. you wanna eat larger meals 3 times a day and snacks in between this will slow your metabolism right down!! Which would be mean quicker weight gain

No this isn't true
  • psuLemon
    Options

This is completely false. The benefit of eating more frequently, especially during a bulk, has nothing to do with metabolism but rather spreading out calories can help you increase the amount you can eat in one sitting. It takes days without food to have any real effect on metabolism. And regardless if you eat 6 meals, or 2 meals, if you eat 3000 calories with the same macro breakout, the thermal effect of food (calories burned through digestion) will be the same.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Eat dirty.

That'll be why you feel miserable, loading up on "healthy foods" is always a challenge because you get less calories for your buck.
    It blows my mind when people say they can't gain. I love gaining, nut butters and ice cream who doesn't want an excuse at indulge daily, just whatever you bloody want to eat. Plain doesn't make you gain haha.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options

Also, bro, you should eat caloriez after 8 pm coz caloriez eaten after then go against your body's clock watching ability and automatically get stored as weight gain, bro. Also, try not to poop too much or you'll loze ur gainz, bro.
  • Patrycjajedraszczyk92
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

This is completely false. The benefit of eating more frequently, especially during a bulk, has nothing to do with metabolism but rather spreading out calories can help you increase the amount you can eat in one sitting. It takes days without food to have any real effect on metabolism. And regardless if you eat 6 meals, or 2 meals, if you eat 3000 calories with the same macro breakout, the thermal effect of food (calories burned through digestion) will be the same.

Agree to disagree. I am taking about my personal experience.. When I ate frequently I burned more calories apposed to eating LESS frequently and eating more late at night. I was able to gain weight quickly,, where I could do anything between 1kg a week just doing that...

• psuLemon
    edited June 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Agree to disagree. I am taking about my personal experience.. When I ate frequently I burned more calories apposed to eating LESS frequently and eating more late at night. I was able to gain weight quickly,, where I could do anything between 1kg a week just doing that...

That is fine to disagree, but the science supports what I am saying. I can tell you I lost the same amount of weight, whether I was eating 6x a day, 3x a day, or 2x a day while doing IF. I would ask, what are your calories and macros now vs previous?

Also, I eat 3 big meals now because I like the increased volume at once.