My chest just doesn't grow!

Options
Exactly what it says in the title, my chest just doesn't grow or it does very very slow, so I need help, how can I I get my chest to grow?

I currently bench 50kg and will do about 5 sets of 10 reps, I can't seem to do heavier without doing the sets without right technique, I'll then do 20kg dumbness press and do 5 sets and 10, cable flys, dumbbell flys and probably the machine chest press thing.

Can you guys suggest anything?!

Replies

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Weighted dips
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If it's just chest only (and you're happy with everything else), do more isolation movements for the chest. Depending on form, bench press isn't a magic pec exercise like a lot of people think it is.

Having said that, if you're benching 50kg then you're probably just weak still. I'd just keep putting in the months and years. The stronger you are, the more volume you can put in, the more mass you can put on.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    You need to follow a structured program that matches your goals. Research the right program, then follow it religiously.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Work on getting your strength up. Your chest will never grow if you don't force it to through progressive overload. Try less sets a day, but more chest days throughout the week. 2-3. My chest refuses to grow If I do anything less than 2 days a week.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh? You might need to up the weight
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    You eating enough? The weight going up?
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Drop reps add weight. As previously mentioned you won't gain without a progressive overload.

You've stalled because your not actively increasing weights. Follow a structured plan or read into muscle growth, a big lad should push past 50kg within a week not months.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Put more weight on the bar, unless you are tiny 50kg isn't very much for a grown man. How many sessions per week are you doing?

Worry less about the exact number of reps and push to failure.
    (OK - keep one rep in the tank if you don't have a spotter or safety bars!)
  • kayemali
    kayemali Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey guys everyone's advice is awesome, I'm going to take everyone advice on board, got a chest session today and will how it goes!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough and getting enough protein. As well as following a structured program. You may need to hit chest twice a week. Look up Athlene X on You Tube. He has a lot of good content, and explains the science behind everything.

• VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Good advice has been given already regarding be certain you are adhering to the progressive overload principle and using more isolation movements, but this may help with perspective. 50kg sounds quite low for a man unless you are very short and light. This is a table from exrx displaying one rep max standards as collected and stated by Lon Kilgore, shown in kilograms for men:

gzjxc2s8oqln.jpg
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Focus on increasing weight. Without progression, your pecs have no reason to grow.
  • kayemali
    Options
    Update- so I went to gym today and took on everyone's advice, I surprised myself by doing more than I thought I could, 5 Reps of 6 set 70kg and increased dumbbell press to 26kg Dumbbells! Could feel it more so going to keep this up and increasing the Weight.

People asking how much I weigh and am I eating, I weigh 146.6lbs, im 5'11, and currently eating 3000 calories a day as I'm naturally slim and trying to bulk
  • danhib
    danhib Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Try doing other workouts like 5 sets of incline press ups & 5 sets of decline ones. With weights try & squeeze your pecs also. Flies are good maybe with cables rather than dumbbells, easier on your elbows too.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    to you saying you were doing 5 sets at 10 reps...that's how i lifted in college and never made any progress. I focused on doing many more sets of a 2-5 rep range of heavier weight and that is when my bench started to really progress.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You should crush your chest. Do incline, decline, flat bench both barbell and dumbells. Change it up do one day as heavy as you can 3-6 reps, and do 3-5 sets. Next workout do pyramids start out heavy for 5 reps, lighter for 10, lighter for 15, lighter for 20, lighter for 25, then go back down and get heavier and heavier. Until you cant do anymore. Then do what I call seal in the juice where you do flies after a chest day.
  • kayemali
    Options
    You should crush your chest. Do incline, decline, flat bench both barbell and dumbells. Change it up do one day as heavy as you can 3-6 reps, and do 3-5 sets. Next workout do pyramids start out heavy for 5 reps, lighter for 10, lighter for 15, lighter for 20, lighter for 25, then go back down and get heavier and heavier. Until you cant do anymore. Then do what I call seal in the juice where you do flies after a chest day.

Defo gone try this pyramid, sounds awsome! I think my problem was I didn't realise you had to do less reps an heavier weights in order to grow chest!

Thank you everyone
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    kayemali wrote: »

Defo gone try this pyramid, sounds awsome! I think my problem was I didn't realise you had to do less reps an heavier weights in order to grow chest!

Thank you everyone

You've gotta do this to build strength so that you can lift more volume overall and that is what gets you to grow.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    If it's just chest only (and you're happy with everything else), do more isolation movements for the chest. Depending on form, bench press isn't a magic pec exercise like a lot of people think it is.

Having said that, if you're benching 50kg then you're probably just weak still. I'd just keep putting in the months and years. The stronger you are, the more volume you can put in, the more mass you can put on.

^ That.

It's likely a programming issue more than anything.

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Time under tension is the key. I would focus on 3-4 sets and 10-15 reps. After a month or so, switch it up. You can do drop sets, pyramids, or even super sets. You have to continually shock your muscles. Hit your chest from all angles. Bench, fly's, and pushups are my go to movements. I normally do my pushups at the end of my routine to really exhaust my chest. There are many variations.