Metabolism slowing after dieting for 12 weeks! Options?

Options
I fear that after eating an average of 1200 calories per day for 12 weeks, my metabolism has slowed. I've lost 14 pounds since April 1st but have not met my goal weight. I'd like to keep going but not to the detriment of my health. I want to have a healthy metabolism when I finish so that it's easier to maintain. I know that adding muscle will help speed it up. Does anyone have additional tips? Should I increase my calories to a maintenance level for some time and then go back down? Thanks!

Replies

• Simply827
    Simply827 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea to take a maintenance break every 8-12 weeks. So yes, I'd suggest eating at maintenance for 2 weeks and then resume your deficit.
  • jennifersrusso
    jennifersrusso Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Eat more. You are damaging your metabolism by dieting. Google "TDEE" to see how much you should be eating. Also lifting weights and building muscle really helps.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,665 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Your weight loss slows down not your metabolism.
    Well it slows down due to calorie deficit, but homeostasis can set in if there's a duration long enough of consistent dieting.

OP, increase the intensity of your physical activity. If you run, run faster. If you lift, add more resistance. If it's gardening, then dig faster.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jennifersrusso
    Options
    Eat more. You are damaging your metabolism by dieting. Google "TDEE" to see how much you should be eating. Also lifting weights and building muscle really helps.

eat more to lose weight? it doesn't work that way.

It does if you are working out. I know, it took me awhile to come around too after years of dieting. All it does is slow down your metabolism and your body doesn't trust you to feed it properly, so it hangs onto the fat. Seriously google BMR and TDEE and check out the Eat to Perform website. I am eating 500-600 calories a day more than I was just a few months ago and have finally started to see results.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Maintaining is HARD. Give it a try. It sound like you want to.
    You still have to log religiously and watch all the junk foods.
    It taught me a lot.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    It taught me a lot.

I think this is true. Though it doesnt seem like it, the weight loss is the "easy" part. Keeping it iff, though..
    I'm with the others that a diet break could be a good move. One suggestion I've seen others have in the past, and especially if you're not too far from your goal weight, is try eating at the maintenance level for your goal weight during that break just to see if it's doable for you long term. Might be worth considering.
  • MCooley0903
    MCooley0903 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It taught me a lot.

I think this is true. Though it doesnt seem like it, the weight loss is the "easy" part. Keeping it iff, though..
    I'm with the others that a diet break could be a good move. One suggestion I've seen others have in the past, and especially if you're not too far from your goal weight, is try eating at the maintenance level for your goal weight during that break just to see if it's doable for you long term. Might be worth considering.

I really like that idea. I plan on increasing my activity. The 1200 calories was based off of my original TDEE and the deficit it recommended. I'll look at the maintenance calories for my goal weight and try that for a couple of weeks while increasing my activity. Hopefully I'll still see a small bit of loss from doing that. I'm ok with slower weight loss. I just want to make sure that my weight doesn't shoot back up when I reach my goal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It taught me a lot.

I really like that idea. I plan on increasing my activity. The 1200 calories was based off of my original TDEE and the deficit it recommended. I'll look at the maintenance calories for my goal weight and try that for a couple of weeks while increasing my activity. Hopefully I'll still see a small bit of loss from doing that. I'm ok with slower weight loss. I just want to make sure that my weight doesn't shoot back up when I reach my goal.

What did you choose as your per week lost goal? Are you using a food scale? Do you log daily?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Wouldn't say that is entirely accurate. There will be some slowdown of metabolic functions, especially with aggressive weight loss, but it wouldn't be substantial. Also, a reduction in non exercise activity thermogenesis (calories burn from daily activities like walking, making food, bathroom, etc..) will decrease since they weigh loss.

But more importantly, accuracy and consistency tend to be the biggest reasons on MFP. So a good food scale and logging daily will have the biggest impact.

Second OP, it is highly unlikely to gaining muscle on a 1200 calorie diet, unless you get some noob gains. But you should follow a progressive resistance program and eat roughly .8g of protein per lb of weight, to maximize muscle retention.

^^^
    This
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Wouldn't say that is entirely accurate. There will be some slowdown of metabolic functions, especially with aggressive weight loss, but it wouldn't be substantial. Also, a reduction in non exercise activity thermogenesis (calories burn from daily activities like walking, making food, bathroom, etc..) will decrease since they weigh loss.

But more importantly, accuracy and consistency tend to be the biggest reasons on MFP. So a good food scale and logging daily will have the biggest impact.

Second OP, it is highly unlikely to gaining muscle on a 1200 calorie diet, unless you get some noob gains. But you should follow a progressive resistance program and eat roughly .8g of protein per lb of weight, to maximize muscle retention.

I did not word it quite right! Thank you for clarifying :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Well it slows down due to calorie deficit, but homeostasis can set in if there's a duration long enough of consistent dieting.

OP, increase the intensity of your physical activity. If you run, run faster. If you lift, add more resistance. If it's gardening, then dig faster.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thank you for clarifying :)
  • jennifersrusso
    Options
    I fear that after eating an average of 1200 calories per day for 12 weeks, my metabolism has slowed. I've lost 14 pounds since April 1st but have not met my goal weight. I'd like to keep going but not to the detriment of my health. I want to have a healthy metabolism when I finish so that it's easier to maintain. I know that adding muscle will help speed it up. Does anyone have additional tips? Should I increase my calories to a maintenance level for some time and then go back down? Thanks!

Also you'll want to make sure you calculate your BMR. That's the minimum number of calories your body needs if you were to just lay in bed all day. My guess is yours is more than 1200 calories. Eating less than your BMR on a regular basis will definitely damage your metabolism.

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism hasn't slowed, you just need less food as you lose weight. Since you chose to cut down to 1200, you really cannot eat fewer calories. In my opinion you should alter your plan by eating more calories and burning more as well. So eat 1400, but burn at least 200 and you're golden. Or change exercise types. the body adapts to movement and becomes more efficient at the same movement over time. if you run try swimming, if you bike do the elliptical.

Your deficit to lose also can become too steep, If you had a lot to lose at first and are now slimmer the speed will change. This is not your metabolism being damaged it's just how weight loss works. Less to lose equals slower loss. If your daily deficit was set to lose 2lbs a week it may be time to switch to 1.5 or 1lb per week and try that for a while. This process happens to everyone who loses weight.