When the going gets tough, I quit.

Options
maryannamber
maryannamber Posts: 22 Member
Here I am starting my journey yet again. Everytime I see small results I get excited but when it becomes tough I quit. I become lazy and stop putting in effort. Any tips on how to push on through when struggling with the journey?

Replies

• treywolf
    treywolf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Like you, I am starting over AGAIN today. I do well and then it all goes downhill...then I have to start all over again. Not that I quit, but some plan of ours...typically a trip or having company, makes my progress halt because I revert back to eating and drinking like I always did and no daily exercise. It is so discouraging and I think having someone to be accountable to will help. I try to keep in mind that this is not a "diet" that ends when I reach a specific goal but a lifelong journey. Don't be hard on yourself...just force yourself to do it for a week and you'll be back in the game! I know I don't have a magical answer, but hopefully it helps to know you are not alone!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Agree with the responses above. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet.
    Family, vacations, friends, drinks are all part of the mix. The long-term aim is to find a way to balance things in a healthy(ish), sustainable way.
    - if you know that an event (BBQ, party, etc) will be occurring, "save" some calories for that night by saving up calories and exercising on a few extra days and not "eating back" those calories until the event.
    - for vacations, go on maintanance for that time. You may not lose but you won't gain. Be aware of your food choices and you'll be fine. When you get back, go back on your deficit and add an extra exercise session or two.

The "secret" is awareness. You can both do this. It's not hard; it's about staying focused and aware. Don't give up.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If you choose an aggressive weight loss goal, cut out all the foods you love, set up an unrealistic exercise plan, and hope you can just stick with it long enough to lose the weight as quickly as possible, you are setting yourself up for failure.

You need to find a way of eating and a workout plan that fit with your real life that you can do for the rest of your life. Choose a small weekly goal, log accurately and consistently, give yourself time to figure out how to work your favorite foods into your calorie plan, don't sweat a bad day (everyone has them and one day won't affect you that much, only quitting will), and be patient. Losing the weight is a process, it doesn't have to be all perfect days.

If your kids misbehave at the store one day, you don't kick them out onto the street because your parenting plan didn't work. If you have one argument with your spouse, you don't divorce them because your relationship doesn't work. If you have a bad day at the office, you don't quit because your job is ruined. You make adjustments, check your expectations, and try to do better tomorrow. Don't treat your new lifestyle differently :) Good luck!
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Mindset is everything. Log your food. All of it, prior to eating it. Weigh and measure so you know your estimates are correct. Starting out with a goal of 20lbs at a time helps. You just reset your goal when you reach the first one. Find 2 or 3 exercise plans you like. For me, what started as fast walking is now jogging, and I'm getting really good at P90X. There are multiple videos to use and I've currently got 1 favorite. I also started riding bikes, and enrolled myself in a Bootcamp, Once the $ is spent, I'm committed.

Make sure your goals are realistic, and find some friends to motivate you. Drink tons of water, (There's an app for it) and when weekends come, you can still eat, but be sensible about it. Make choices that will make you proud. The final thing is get on a scale every day. EVERY DAY. You don't have to post them, (I only do when there is a loss) but it keeps me more accountable for what I ate the day before. Change your mindset and you'll change your life.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Rather than go on and off a diet, why not just stay on a diet for life? In other words, set a calorie goal and stick to it, forever. Works for me
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »
    Mindset is everything. Log your food. All of it, prior to eating it. Weigh and measure so you know your estimates are correct. Starting out with a goal of 20lbs at a time helps. You just reset your goal when you reach the first one. Find 2 or 3 exercise plans you like. For me, what started as fast walking is now jogging, and I'm getting really good at P90X. There are multiple videos to use and I've currently got 1 favorite. I also started riding bikes, and enrolled myself in a Bootcamp, Once the $ is spent, I'm committed.

Make sure your goals are realistic, and find some friends to motivate you. Drink tons of water, (There's an app for it) and when weekends come, you can still eat, but be sensible about it. Make choices that will make you proud. The final thing is get on a scale every day. EVERY DAY. You don't have to post them, (I only do when there is a loss) but it keeps me more accountable for what I ate the day before. Change your mindset and you'll change your life.

not for everyone...I in my losing phase got on the scale 1x a week and it was great...daily weigh in's are annoying.
  • pixiepie3
    pixiepie3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great advice from everyone . I,like you, am starting over too. I broke my kneecap back in October and after two surgeries am unable to excercise. However weighing in and logging everything you eat daily is a great start. Set weekly manageable goals. Life happens so if you can, plan for it. If not, learn from past experience and make healthier choices. If you overindulge at one meal, log it and just get back on the good nutrition wagon. Learn from the experience and move forward .
  • maryannamber
    maryannamber Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice and tips. Ive never reached out for help and having this helps loads too :)