GYM?NO GYM?

Options
This may sound silly but is there any type of exercises that i can do instead of going to the gym? I really cant afford it and was just wondering what i could do at home really.

Also, what kind of exercise would help me lose weight quicker?

Thanks x

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    a brisk walk ????
  • beckbop
    beckbop Posts: 75
    Options
    I work full time, but i try to only get one bus (instead of two) and walk the rest of the way.
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If I was you, I would do at home work out videos. Tons of people, including me, has had success with Jillian Michaels. I would start with the 30 day shred because its cheap and puts you on a plan. I would also hit up garage sales for people selling off their weight loss stuff they didn't use. Good luck!
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    Find whatever exercises and styles you like on youtube, create a playlist, and then do them. :D Zumba, pilates, yoga, resistance training, etc.
  • Chosen4Greatness
    Options
    If you want to loose weight at a pretty rapid speed you can always do some brisk-pace walking/running I mean the weight will literally look like its melting off this is a great form of cardio also while you are at home you can do some strengthing exercise as well like squats, abs, push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, even hoola hooping is fun and a great form of cardio as well. I hope this is helpful!!! P.s also try jump roping
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    There are TONS of workout videos you could do! I've lost 56 pounds and have never ever been inside a gym. You need a good mix of cardio and weight training. Jillian Michaels does a good job of providing both, as do many MANY others..there's something for everyone. Get on Amazon and just search workout videos. You'll find something you like for cheap, I'm sure.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    DVD's, Jillian Michaels has some great DVDs. Do you have a smartphone, JM and Nike Training CAmp are the ones I like. If not, go on you tube and look up JM, NTC or any type of exercises andyou can make you own routines up
  • EyeCanSeeYou
    Options
    Leslie Sansone workout DVDs. I don't go to the gym myself. I have seizures and I can't drive.
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Walking is free and a great way to get the ball rolling. Just keep adding distance to your walks on a weekly basis and there should be no limit to how much you can lose as long as you keep what goes in, in line with your goals. Start adding a little interval jogging into the mix and watch the pounds start flying off.

I built an entire home gym here over time buying used equipment on CraigsList and saved a ton of money. I like being able to use whatever piece of equipment I want without waiting and basically whenever I want without having to go to and from a gym as well.

There are also tons of free videos on YouTube you can workout to as well.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to invest in workout videos (and there are many free ones online), you can still put together a routine yourself. Splice together some of these exercises:
    Jumping jacks
    Push ups
    Crunches
    Plank holds
    Squats (squats, squats, and more squats! Sumo squats, demi squats, truck squats, split squats.... just do them.)
    Shadow boxing
    Jump rope (invisble jump rope is fine)
    Mountain climbers
    Burpees
    Spider crawls

Really... there's a ton you can do at home. It's just a matter of putting together a plan that works for you, which is by far the hardest part. But, do your research and you'll be able to put together something great.

Good luck!
  • ttrotter1960
    Options
    OMG yes and that isn't silly at all . . . The ONLY advantage to going to a gym is that you are in the midst of others who are working out along side of you which for many (myself included) is motivating.

There is NOTHING in a gym that you can't do at home. Weight Resistance can be done with dumb bells or a resistance band bought at Walmart. Aerobics can be done by jogging or walking in the neighborhood. Excercise videos are great also and have the added benefit of showing you the correct way to do particular exercises.

Gym memberships are great. I love my gym but they are NOT at all a requirement.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    -Walking/ hiking/ running
    -What about getting exercise DVDs from the library?
    -Swim at beach or lake
    -Or if you have cable, try Exercise TV on-demand. They have free workout videos.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lots of stuff you can do at home!

ExerciseTV.com (also an OnDemand Cable channel), Hulu.com, Netflix, library, thrift stores: places to watch, rent, buy exercise videos.

Look at collagevideo.com for reviews of videos - this will also tell you if any equipment is required.

A fun idea: The Deck of Cards workout (this is military) Each card suit is a body area. Upper, lower, abs, cardio. Let's say hearts is cardio. If you deal the 6 of hearts - you do 6 jumping jacks.
  • Boomerof51
    Boomerof51 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells. Danskin including DVD about $14.00 at your local Walmart.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    If I was you, I would do at home work out videos. Tons of people, including me, has had success with Jillian Michaels. I would start with the 30 day shred because its cheap and puts you on a plan. I would also hit up garage sales for people selling off their weight loss stuff they didn't use. Good luck!

Agree! 30 day shred would be a great start for someone at home. The video, a set of light hand weights and a mat (unless you are working out on carpet) ... level 1 is about 27 minutes a day total with warm up and cool down. Don't know about level 2 yet, not watching that until I hit that level ... 2 more days!
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    Do you have Comcast OnDemand? There are a lot of free exercise videos in the "Sports and Fitness" section! Try it!!!! I love the Leslie Sansone videos :-)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never had a gym membership in my life. I'm big on DVD workouts, done dozens of them over the years. Right now I do Zumba, which I just LOVE. You can also walk, run, bike etc., outside. Or if you have the room get a machine (treadmill, stairstepper, eliptical, etc.). They aren't cheap but it's a one time expense unlike the gym. But DVDs are the cheapest because they last practically forever and you can often find them used.
  • beckbop
    beckbop Posts: 75
    Options
    thanks everyone! gonner try them all out when im feeling better :D
    got a few exercise videos already so im going to give them ago.
    i also have some dumbbells, an exercise bike, and the wi/wii fit so im going to include all them :)