Anybody a GeoCacher?? :0)

Options
PoshTaush
PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
My family has just fell in love with GeoCaching! If you do it, or are interested... I would love to get to know you! It's been so much fun and a great workout of course! Walking trails, carrying a 26 pound toddler...etc.

Replies

• allaboutty
    allaboutty Posts: 13
    Options
    Hope you have a Garmin to help you on your caching adventures!
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Yes! My BF is really into it and I like to go along for the walks and I discover loads of new places that I never knew existed. Thing is, I'm better at finding them than he is!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    We have so much fun! My teen son's friends (who, ya know, normally think parents are dorks) ask him when we're going "treasure hunting" again.

BTW - there are a couple really good Android (and presumably iPhone) apps as well.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been geocaching for almost five years now! We've found over 500 caches. :-)
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    what is this???
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    We have an Andriod app that is pretty good! It gives us the clues if we need to decode them! Oh, and of course, Geocaching.com is the website we use to log all of our finds.

What have been some of your best finds so far?

I would say our best has been a cache with a Kennedy Half Dollar! That was really nice of someone to leave.

Oh... and what do you like to put back in if you take a treasure? We have some neat stones/gems we found "mining" at a local park. Oh and we have left toys for little ones since our toddler loves to go with us.
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Tausha: I have wanted to do this for years but have never quite gotten around to it!! I may look you up for some tips! we don't have a gps, but we have it on our phones and I think there is a geocaching app too, i've just not tried it yet (android).
  • kimbernic
    kimbernic Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My family started when my youngest was going through chemo treatments. We needed something that was not expensive that we could still stay isolated from groups of people. Me and me 7 year old love to go. I wish I had a better GPS, it goes flaky when we walk into the woods so mostly we have been finding urban caches. :-)
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    I hope each of you will add me as a friend and we can share Caching stories! :0) Anyone else feel free to let me know of some fun places to check out!
  • bmxpop
    bmxpop Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have been geocaching for about 4 years now with a little over 1000 cache finds to my credit!! The Geowoodstock mega event is only about 25-30 miles away from my house and I will be attending it tomorrow...thousands of cachers are expected to be there from all over the US!!!
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    That's awesome!! Where are you from?
  • bmxpop
    Options
    I'm from Titusville, PA...northwestern part of Pennsylvania about 50 miles south of Erie. Just loaded up my Magellan with a bunch of new caches and am heading out to the event in a few minutes. My username on geocaching.com is also bmxpop.
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    We had a great day today. Did a loop of 10 that took us on a 3 mile walk round Browns Folly Nature Reserve (Monkton Farleigh, Near Bath, UK). Lovely weather and we found all 10. I got some nice photos too :-D
  • bmxpop
    Options
    Cachers from all over the world were at Geowoodstock. I met several from England , Germany and even a couple from New Zealand. We had a great time. We only went after a few geocaches because we spent too much time at the event.
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hope you have a Garmin to help you on your caching adventures!

haha to me, garmin and geocaching go together! My dad started to do that when I was in middle school and I haven't done any in a while. We did one in 2009 and it was just like I did it yesterday. Very fun and I love my dad talking about the "rules" of geo caching. Do you stay in urban areas or go out into the woods? I am from Oregon. My dad use to be into the travel bugs, but I don't think we do that as much. But I love the concept of them.
  • knottsav
    knottsav Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It is something we enjoy as a family too. Started with a Garmin, although the iPhone app is also ok. Haven't done any in a while, need to get organised and do some more when the weather gets a little warmer again.
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I just looked up my dad's profile on geocaching.com and my dad has been a member since 2002! Kind of sad though, only 141 logged and found =/
  • Rbarragato
    Rbarragato Posts: 15
    Options
    My boyfriend and I go geocaching DAILY. We started May 22 and as of yesterday we have 181 caches found!! Last night we did all of SoHo in NYC and walked for 3 hours straight making short stops just to find the cache--a good 898 calories burned!! We absolutely LOVE it and I'm so excited to see other people on here who love it!