Over in sugar?

so usually consume around 40-60 grams of sugar a day. And my question is if I eat fruit and go over in sugar is it a bad thing since its sugar from fruit?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Unless you have a medical reason to avoid sugar it is fine. I switched from tracking sugar to tracking fiber - much more useful for me. Any fruit will put you over in sugar.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    If you have a medical reason to restrict sugar or your eating plan requires it (like if you were trying to stay in ketosis or such), then natural sugars matter. For the rest of us, it's a lot of personal preference and choosing our priorities. I don't track sugar and don't worry about it as long as the rest of my goals are being met. Others do. It's up to you.
  • davrada
    davrada Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2016
    Yeah it really depends on why you are watching your sugar intake. If you were trying to reduce it for... say a yeast die off or cleanse, best to even avoid fruit sugars for a month. If its for general health, always best to move away from refined sugars to natural sugars as a general lifestyle choice. If its because of diabetes, you probably should be more concerned with overall carb content.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    I'm trying to control my sugars, and I love fruit. I try to save my sugar calories for fruit, and just not really have sugar anywhere else. I make my own salad dressings and just don't buy stuff with sugar in it. But I can't give up fruit. It's too wonderful. Especially now that we're in summer and I can get wonderful fruit.

I try not to go over but if I go over a bit and it's due to fruit, I don't stress.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    It's not a bad thing even if it's sugar from "not fruit" as long as you stay within your calorie goal.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    It can be a bad thing if having sugar causes you to have cravings and have to struggle to stay within your calorie goal. If I'm very careful with sugar, staying in my calorie goal is easy. If I have much sugar, I am hungry allll the time and end up snacking too much on the wrong stuff. It's just so much easier to not have much sugar for me.

We're all different and we have to find what works for us.
  • This content has been removed.
  • Carlos_421
    davrada wrote: »

Authority nutrition is a horrible source of information.
  • Carlos_421
    So if I were to meet my sugar goal with not fruit then eat tons of watermelon and 2 apples worth of sugar over would it make me gain weight or do harm ?

The only way you gain weight is if you eat more calories than you burn.
    Whether or not those calories come from sugar is irrelevant.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    So if I were to meet my sugar goal with not fruit then eat tons of watermelon and 2 apples worth of sugar over would it make me gain weight or do harm ?

Calories are king for weight loss. If you stay within your calorie goals then you should still lose (again, barring any medical issues).