pregnant! can I use MFP?

Options
Hello, :)
I'm pregnant (26 weeks) I would like to track my calories in order to stay within a health pregnancy weight and generally to keep an eye on the nutrition etc.
I'm 34, healthy, 5foot2, my starting weight was around 8 stone 8pounds. I am now about 9 stone 5 pounds.
Is there any way to program the goals to reflect my requirements? or does anyone have suggestion of a tracker app that might be more suitable (with UK food listings)
Thanks in advance.
Kit.x

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea to keep track of what you are consuming. But I would not, however, try to lose weight while pregnant.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    kitwright wrote: »
    Hello, :)
    I'm pregnant (26 weeks) I would like to track my calories in order to stay within a health pregnancy weight and generally to keep an eye on the nutrition etc.
    I'm 34, healthy, 5foot2, my starting weight was around 8 stone 8pounds. I am now about 9 stone 5 pounds.
    Is there any way to program the goals to reflect my requirements? or does anyone have suggestion of a tracker app that might be more suitable (with UK food listings)
    Thanks in advance.
    Kit.x

You can manually set your goals in your profile set up. Under the "goals tab" you'll find that information. Please be certain that you are following medical advice when you set this up.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Yup, what others said. Just talk to your doctor about an appropriate calorie goal and adjust whatever MFP tries to give you. I think your calorie needs increase again in your third trimester, so check in with your doctor for adjustments along the way.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Yup, what others said. Just talk to your doctor about an appropriate calorie goal and adjust whatever MFP tries to give you. I think your calorie needs increase again in your third trimester, so check in with your doctor for adjustments along the way.

This! Talk to your doc about an appropriate rate of gain for you and set your goals on MFP to reflect that.

• kitwright
    kitwright Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Aww, thanks everyone... Yeah cool, I'll just take it easy.. I've checked out my new calorie needs and up date my goals. Thanks again. xxxx
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    may I
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Consult a doctor first. However, my understanding is you should set your diary to gain half a pound a week right now.

I wish I would have done MFP with my pregnancies. I gained 60 pounds with each.
  • KatA108
    KatA108 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is my 4th pregnancy. I'm using MFP in this pregnancy. I'm 27 weeks. Not everyone needs to gain as much as 1/2 pound a week. You need to google a pregnancy weight gain calculator by BMI (Body Mass Index) for your starting weight. UK pregnancy guidelines only recommend an additional 200 calories a day in the final trimester (after week 28). The reasoning is that many women start out their pregnancy overweight. In Canada (where I live), weight gain is only recorded by the prenatal medical practitioner and women are not guided with a calorie count or suitable weight gain. Would be helpful if the MFP app had a pregnancy setting according to BMI and recommended guidelines for pregnancy.
  • KatA108
    KatA108 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here's a calculator for weight gain in pregnancy. http://www.calculator.net/pregnancy-weight-gain-calculator.html 3500 calories = 1 pound.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen there is limited customization for factors like pregnancy, so for the time being I would use it as a general food diary to work with any dietary modifications your prenatal health care provider has outlined for you.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 weeks with #3, and using MFP to track what I eat to keep weight gain minimal. I agree with everyone else - touch base with your doctor to make sure everything looks good, but it's been really helpful in keeping me in check. Also, there is a group of likeminded pregnant ladies on here called Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant if you want to join - there are a lot of ladies who are using MFP to make sure they have a healthy pregnancy with reasonable weight gain.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Here in the States, my midwife advised 2000kcal for during pregnancy. I blew past that unfortunately. But I would be interested to hear what your practitioner advised...
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I did slimming world while pregnant 3 yrs ago, I had an extra healthy A and made sure I was eating all my syns. I estimated I was probably eating 2000 calories sometimes more. I was however 4 stone overweight at the start of pregnancy so I had my midwifes full support. I didnt stick to it religiously but still managed to be 10 lbs lighter 3-days after giving birth than I was pre pregnancy.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    Options
    I was clinically obese at the start of my pregnancy and my midwife referred me to a dietitian. That's really who you need to speak to about appropriate calorie and macro goals. Once you know those goals you can enter them manually and I would have thought myfitnesspal would be a great tool to help you stick to them.

(not sure where you are, if you're in the UK you can see a dietitian on the NHS, ask your midwife or GP)
  • kitwright
    kitwright Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow, I haven't check this post for a few day...what great advice and support. Thank you all so much. I really appreciate the time you've all taken to answer me properly. I'll check out all the advise given and join the MFP fit, fab and preggo group! loves. xxx