How to cut sugar and stop the cravings.

Options
It never fails that I go over my sugar limit every day. Even its just from fruit with natural sugar. I don't eat candy, ice cream, desserts etc because honestly they make me sick. How can I stop the cravings and healthy substitutions for when I need a snack? Thank you for your help! You have no idea how much it means to break this craving.

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Are you going over your calories or are you diabetic?
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Sugar cravings are a big deal for me too, and are why I haven't been successful at weight loss before now. I asked my doctor about it, and he suggested not worrying so much about fats, and including more proteins in my diet. So I've been doing that and it's been great. I make most of my food from scratch, particularly things like salad dressings where a lot of sugar hides, and I save my sugar calories for fruit. I do allow myself fruit for snacks, but I try to pair it with something with protein - so fruit and nuts maybe. And then I have snacks that have more protein. Maybe some leftover chicken, hummus with carrot sticks or other veggies, cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, etc. I basically just think "protein."
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Does eating fruit put you over your calories or cause you to eat too much?
    Are you diabetic?
    If not, don't worry about it.
  • amynichole119
    amynichole119 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am awful at cooking. I wish I knew how to cook chicken. I usually eat vegetarian base meals even though I am not vegetarian.
    I am not diabetic, I am just trying to lose some weight and tone up. :/ Cutting out as much junk and trash as I can.
  • amynichole119
    Options
    I haven't gone over my calories yet but when it says "your goals is to stay under blah blah blah of sugar" Im like crap I guess I ate too much sugar even though the only sugar I had was honey and strawberries mixed into greek yogurt. I guess I am not really sure how many of grams of sugar I need?
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Cooking chicken is pretty easy. You could probably find some YouTube videos that walk you through easy stuff like that. Conversely, you could pick up a rotisserie chicken every so often and us that in salads or on sandwiches. Also, high quality lunch meat (like Boar's Head or Dietz an Watson) doesn't have added fillers and hopefully not sugars - unless you ask for maple sugar flavored ham or something - and those can be used on salads or as snacks.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone over my calories yet but when it says "your goals is to stay under blah blah blah of sugar" Im like crap I guess I ate too much sugar even though the only sugar I had was honey and strawberries mixed into greek yogurt. I guess I am not really sure how many of grams of sugar I need?

If you're not going over your calories or failing to get other nutrients, it doesn't matter. I track fiber instead and ignore sugar.

If you were diabetic it would matter.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    For weight loss all that matters is calories.

The recommendations for cutting sugar is "added sugar", not the sugars naturally found in foods like fruits and vegetables. And honestly I think that is because lots of added sugar means lots of extra calories.

If you want to avoid added/excess sugar, go for it, but sticking to your calorie goal is what will cause you to lose weight!
  • amynichole119
    Options
    I never thought of using ham as a protein snack. That is an awesome idea! Thanks! :)
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    mfp sets the sugar goal for you- BUT if you are eating fruit or veggies with sugars such as carrots, sweet potatoes,sweet corn etc9which are healthy foods). YOU can decide what is a good amount of sugar for you and just change it on mfp in the goal section. When I went mostly plantbased(not entirely) then my sugar would go over too- because of fruits or veggies but I know it is healthier for me than when I was eating "little Debbies"- anyway- the weight is coming off more now - so let that be your guide
  • 2012retiree
    2012retiree Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have found if I reduce carbs, my cravings are less.
  • amynichole119
    Options
    I've been reading on plant based diets because I am about to change my major to nutrition. I really like snacking on carrots and strawberries but I hate that it says my sugar goes over. Mentally I feel bad for it even if I know that it isn't bad, like you said it would be if they were cookies and ice cream. Lol