IBS and weight loss....

Options
I just wondered if anyone else suffers this condition and how they manage it trying to lose weight. Of course i have read up on it alot, and my Dr tells me one thing and i've heard/read something else (plus my own elimination style!).

Anyway, i don't need to be told what to do, just what others have experienced!! (I use to LOVE cheese, but haven't been able to eat it for about 8 months, even the lactose fee stufff)

I look forward to your replys, cuz i know i'm not alone!!!! :smile:

Replies

• ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and I'm doing OK weight loss wise - I know my triggers are cheese, potatoes and eggs (eggs being a possible allergy rather than symptom of IBS). I've been put on colofac by the dr, but it gives me 'symptoms' every day rather than when something triggers it, so I've given up on them after 3 whole days! I just avoid my known triggers - although I have one I can't work out at the moment, there's not much more I can eliminate!

I guess I find it ok losing weight as the foods that trigger my IBS are ones that tend to be either unhealthy and high fat, or cooked in an unhealthy and high fat way, so ruling them out has helped rather than hindered! I miss scrambled eggs though!!
  • karenami
    karenami Posts: 3
    Options
    I avoid milk products and have switched to Almond Milk. I also take a daily probiotic (Align) to regulate my stomach. I sure can tell a difference when I run out and don't take it for a while.
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    bump...

I have to eat lots of fruits and water and avoid red meat...
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have ibs-c I have to avoid too much of certain foods - coffee,chocolate,museli, brown bread ( anything with wheat bran) citrus fruits even jaffa cakes, but it seems a good strategy to manage it.
    When I am going through a bad bout of it I have to eat only really bland food - porrige quiche scrambled eggs,until it passes.
    I don't think it makes much difference to weight loss if the ibs is being managed- but I don't have thatmuch to lose at the moment.
    Just reading the other posts - I didn't realise the variety of trigger foods, Ive never had any problems from dairy, but things like wholemeal bread really affect me.
  • carina_75
    carina_75 Posts: 88
    Options
    Thanks clareB1974,
    I'm not sure what country you're in (i'm in the UK), but from the docs i've had/got: buscopan which seems to help for the cramps, colermin (peppermint), and mebeverine (?) not sure what they do.
    Anyway...i've found alcohol is a definate no no, which is fine, but after a month or so i have some wine at a weekend (knowing the consequenses...duh!) and then suffer for 2 days. As i said cheese, and i used to LOVE it!!.. I think alot of my weight loss is down to no drinking, cheese, or anything fried(another past time fav!!), yet last week i had to be off work for the first time because of 'extreme' symtoms!,but i had a seriiously messed up emotional night on the Sunday, and i'm pretty sure that was the trigger.....

This condition came out of now where for me 8 or so months ago, and i HATE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
  • carina_75
    Options
    Coffee i can't have anymore, and less than a year ago i was on 5+ cups a day!! (I still love the smell, but only drink tea!!) I half heartedly cut out bread, and even now don't like more than 2 slices of brown every couple of days. i can't eat white anymore....(plus the calories are too high for them couple of mouthfuls!)

I've had days where my IBS is soooo bad i don't eat or drink (it comes out within 20 if you know what i mean:blushing: ) so i sip on water and have an early night
  • carina_75
    Options
    I'm kinda scared of fruit at the min!! I've gone off red meat big time!! only chicken and turkey now (and seafood!)
    bump...

I have to eat lots of fruits and water and avoid red meat...
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi Carina.

The colofac is mebeverine, I think. I've also started drinking peppermint tea (twinings is lovely, if you let it go lukewarm, I don't like it hot!!) and I've started taking multibionta which includes a probiotic - both of which seem to help a bit.

I know exactly what you mean about the 20 minutes!!! Thankfully I'm fine with bread, if I lost that from my diet too, I don't know what I'd eat. Has your Dr tested you for coeliacs? That's a gluten problem - if it turns out to be coeliacs, cutting out bread should lessen all the other problems as your bowel would heal. It's a simple blood test at first, I didn't get beyond that as it came back negative :)

I meant to add, I'm in the UK too :)
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    my only problem i find is that when i'm having a bad time with my ibs i tend to get really bloated, seriously a whole 2 dress sizes sometimes. A liiitle demotivating when you're trrying to lose weight. My problems tend to be dairy (i was a big cheese lover too) and white anything i.e bread, pasta, rice, alocohol causes all sorts of problems as does too much friut & veg. Hope your medication works for you, i manage my ibs with my diet & herbal remedies as i don't like taking perscription drugs. Good luck wth your weight loss journey x
  • heathermnrd
    Options
    i have crohns (IBD) and havent found its had much of an impact on my weight...maybe helped me loose a little cuz when my stomachs acting up i just dont want to eat...im assuming its the same wit h IBS. Ive also cut out a lot of cheese and dairy cuz my dr. thinks its part of my problem so that prob helps too.