Thoughts on fat shaming for motivation to lose weight

Options
We've all been there-the moment you are acutely aware that others notice your weight in public. Whether it has positive, negative, or indifferent emotions attached- large folks will feel the gaze of others and we know why. Most people don't intend for their stares to be considered shaming. And usually you don't take it that way but, in the back of your head you know what they are thinking of you-with this comes a very slight feeling of shame. "I know I can take better care of myself than this," you think to yourself.

These looks have a different effect on me however; I see them as a challenge. Something I need to improve about myself. Not just for looks but also to be healthier. I have always been that way. Meeting any form of adversity has always forced me to self-reflect, improve, and then overcome.

This is how I've gotten to where I am and I am happy with my life except for my own weight. I do ok with dieting and getting on an exercise regime isn't the worst thing I can imagine. However, the end goal (looking and feeling better in this instance) do not sustain my lifestyle change. For me, overcoming the challenges is much more rewarding than the goal itself. Whenever a coach, friend, family member told me I wasn't capable of things that was now the goal-to do more than anyone else thought I could. "I can run faster." "I can outwork them." "I don't quit. I win." I didn't always prove them wrong- however I can't remember once reaching for the stars and being upset when I only reached the moon. I've always looked for progress not perfection. Weight-loss and weight-control are not an end goal they are the continual process forever.

Even if it would be great to go to a store where they have my size in every style instead of me looking for the one pair of pants that may just fit but to embarrassed to try on in the store; weight-control needs to be an ongoing process, a lifestyle, to really be meaningful. Reaching a weight loss goal-whether that is five pounds or fifty does no real long-term good without continually being aware of your weight.

That's why I struggle with losing weight. Losing the weight (and the looks from others because of it) does not interest me enough to stick to long term goals and exercise programs. I do think if I have someone challenging me on a regular basis my competitive spirit will kick in and prove them wrong. I am not suggesting simple putting out a craiglist ad for a random person to text me negative messages about my body. But, if I found someone willing and able to text or email messages and it comes from a place of support and care is that unhealthy on both emotional and healthy ways?

I have read some stories about this really benefiting others and while I do not recommend to most with low self body image I can't help but think that this might be the push I need. At the time I am just interested in opinions of possible pros and cons for using fat shaming as a motivational tool. Also, if I do go this route? I do not have an S/O or close friends/family I can share this experiment with. So I do not know who or how to reach out to someone that may help. Thanks

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    It sounds seriously unhealthy and just a little sick...I would suggest counselling....
  • shortcdngirl
    shortcdngirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So you want people to fat shame to motivate you ?

I am sorry but this logic isn't mentally healthy.
  • wsmith153
    wsmith153 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean for it to come off as this being my one and only chance or that without this I'm giving up-sorry. I had just read other stories such as: http://metro.co.uk/2015/01/28/chef-lost-21-stone-after-friend-text-him-fat-f-every-day-for-six-weeks-5040205/

Honestly I'm just looking for something that brings the competitiveness out in me and use towards my weight goals. I also don't want to do anything unhealthy which is why I was asking for various opinions. My opinion is similar to yours but thought i should get a more broad viewpoint on this. Thanks for your thoughts.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Join or start a challenge. I started my journey in January by joining a 100 Days of Fitness Challenge. Everyone put in $25 and we had check ins every 25 days and winner won the pot. I won.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Start a sport or some sort of exercise program where you can compete against yourself.... getting someone to call you a fat f on a daily basis is just weird
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Maybe get a Fitbit or something like that? Its the only one I am familiar with but I am sure the other doodads have something similar. I have a few friends on my Fitbit account and there are challenges, and it shows how many steps those people have and we try to beat the other's steps
  • batman5250
    batman5250 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Fat shaming is the most pathetic thing any one can do. I'm all for telling people the truth and giving them some suff love, but fat shaming pisses me off.
    https://youtu.be/nFYLntDCulI
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    If you think that fat shaming would help you, personally, go for it. Pride can be an important factor for some. If shaming doesn't work and you want a positive motivational pep talk, hit me up.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    When you let fat shaming be your motivation to lose weight, you distill your self worth down to your size. It might work while you're losing, but changing that mindset when you reach whatever goal you have can be harder than you think. I prefer to use my self respect and desire to look after myself as my motivation.
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The person you compete against everyday is yourself...when you look in the mirror that person looking back is who you must change. Do some serious soul searching and find out why you really want to be fit and remember you do not need to validate your reasons to anyone. At the end of the day you and only you have to love yourself. I don't know you but I can tell you from experience, when I decided that I was tired of being overweight I said screw this I'm changing my body and how I think. That's how I got in shape....you have two choices in life, either you can do this or you can say "I can't and give up!! I'd rather try my best and fail than wonder for the rest of my life!, what if I had tried what could I have achieved Stay. strong