Build muscle or lean out?

Options
Recently lost 21 pounds but I still have fat around my midsection. I would like to know should I build muscle or continue leaning out? I'm already at my ideal weight for my height.

Current meal plan from personal trainer to build muscle
6 egg whites
1 cup of oatmeal no sugar
1 spoon of flaxseed oil

ISO protein shake scoop and a half with flax seed oil and banana

5 ounces of protein
1 potatoe
1 cup of greens

ISO protein shake scoop and a half with banana

5 ounces of protein
1 cup of greens

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    personally, I'd ditch the restrictive diet and the shakes, continue to eat enough protein, lift weights (progressively heavier weights), and lean out until you like how you look.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I go for the ditch that plan too. It is not sustainable for long term maintenance.
    Eat at your maintenance calories. Include nutritious foods, but make sure it is food that will suit you for your lifestyle.

Start improving your LBM by doing a progressive compound lifting programme. Eating at maintenance will be a recomp where you improve the strength and endurance of the muscles you have and slowly add muscle mass.
    It will also help re- sculpt your body.

Cheers, h.
  • heatherwartanyan
    heatherwartanyan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Muscle is always good to have. Besides for a female one won't bulk up to much. Lift heavy and get toned
  • yami0385
    yami0385 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ok so what about my carb intake? Should I increase it? Also so when building muscle no restrictive diet?
    I'm 5'3 135lbs with belly fat.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    You should try and get down to a low body fat percentage before a bulk. Keep cutting slowly and learn how to lift properly until you get there.
    Women should be about 15 ish %
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    You do not need a restrictive diet to build muscle.

Muscle can only be built if you do a slow recomp eating at maintenance, or preferably gaining muscle when eating in excess of maintenance, bulking.

Your carb intake is personal preference and satiety. Protein is best at a level between .64-.85grams per pound body weight. Protein helps with muscle retention.
    When tracking your macros, look to meet your protein levels first, then fat, and let the carbs fill in the rest to reach your calorie goal.

If you still have some abdominal fat you would like to lose, eating at a deficit and losing a bit more weight will help with that. Weight lifting will only improve the muscle under the fat.

Eat at a small deficit to lose the fat, lift weights to retain and strengthen the muscle you have.
    Lifting will also help in re shaping your body.

Eat whatever foods you wish, but hitting your protein and nutrition levels will keep you healthy.

Cheers, h.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I'd dump the meal plan too, try to lean out as much as I could while lifting weights.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    personally, I'd ditch the restrictive diet and the shakes, continue to eat enough protein, lift weights (progressively heavier weights), and lean out until you like how you look.

Great advice, this is what I would recommend as well!
  • yami0385
    Options
    You should try and get down to a low body fat percentage before a bulk. Keep cutting slowly and learn how to lift properly until you get there.

So how do I cut slowly? Less cardio and more lifting?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Cut slowly by 250-300 calorie deficit if you have under 15lb to lose. Cardio is not necessary unless you enjoy it and/or want the health benefits for your heart/lungs. Lifting is strongly recommended with eating at minimum protein(.8 gram per lb) and fat(.35 per lb) to retain as much muscle as possible and bodily functions.
  • yami0385
    Options
    Thank you
  • yami0385
    Options
    h3ug33p17ejg.jpeg

I have been doing ketosis since April should I decrease fat or protein to reduce body fat?

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    yami0385 wrote: »
    h3ug33p17ejg.jpeg

I have been doing ketosis since April should I decrease fat or protein to reduce body fat?

neither. if you are doing keto you need high fat and a decent amount of protein as well as sodium.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    h3ug33p17ejg.jpeg

To reduce body fat you need to be in a caloric deficit. Macros make no difference to the science, just to your preferred way of eating and satiety. Fat does not make you fat, protein does not make you fat, carbs do not make you fat, too much of any or all of those things (too many calories) are what make the body store fat. So conversely, reducing your calorie intake will reduce body fat. As has been previously stated in this thread.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Btw...good job on your progress OP! :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    h3ug33p17ejg.jpeg

To reduce body fat you need to be in a caloric deficit. Macros make no difference to the science, just to your preferred way of eating and satiety. Fat does not make you fat, protein does not make you fat, carbs do not make you fat, too much of any or all of those things (too many calories) are what make the body store fat. So conversely, reducing your calorie intake will reduce body fat. As has been previously stated in this thread.

This

Op - whatever macros you decide to eat make no difference as far as lowering your body fat percentage. If you'd like to lean out some then you need to create a calorie deficit. It makes no difference if your in ketosis or not.
    I'd go back and start from the beginning as you still seem to be misunderstanding how things work. Read the stickies in the beginning of the forum.
  • yami0385
    Options
    h3ug33p17ejg.jpeg

This

Op - whatever macros you decide to eat make no difference as far as lowering your body fat percentage. If you'd like to lean out some then you need to create a calorie deficit. It makes no difference if your in ketosis or not.
    I'd go back and start from the beginning as you still seem to be misunderstanding how things work. Read the stickies in the beginning of the forum.

I was 163lbs a year ago and now I'm currently 138. So what am I not understanding? I asked a question about if I should continue leaning out or building muscle since I still have belly fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    If you want to reduce your body fat %, you lean out. But still lift heavy weights while in a deficit to retain what current muscle you already have.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Get your body fat checked so you know your numbers and go from there. Typically you want to lean down before any bulking. If not you end up looking like most guys out there they're massive but not aesthetic. Unless it doesn't matter to you then go for it!!