Medifast opinion

Options
Hey y'all!! I'm on day 2 of my medifast journey! Anyone try it before? If so, what did you think?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    When you hit your goal weight, how will you know how to maintain your weight? i like to eat my calories, drinking low calories, for me, was tortuous.
  • wolfgirl78
    wolfgirl78 Posts: 56 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Medifast is more than shakes, as a matter of fact I never did any shakes. They have quite a few different meals, that are tasty. I still buy the soft baked brownie for my evening snack. They are more than packaged foods also, part of the program is eating a lean and green meal. They sell a cookbook, and I still use it. There are some great recipes in it. I did medifast, and it works if you stick to the plan. I never made it to maintenance, but they do have a maintence plan where they introduce more food back into your diet.

All that being said, it's very costly. I do prefer the CICO method, it's free and it's more sustainable than medifast was for me. I like to be able to eat what I want and just make sure I stay in a deficit.

Good luck to you!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No.
  • One_life_2_live
    One_life_2_live Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a similar program... I'll add you. :)
  • wolfgirl78
    wolfgirl78 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    wolfgirl78 wrote: »
    Medifast is more than shakes, as a matter of fact I never did any shakes. They have quite a few different meals, that are tasty. I still buy the soft baked brownie for my evening snack. They are more than packaged foods also, part of the program is eating a lean and green meal. They sell a cookbook, and I still use it. There are some great recipes in it. I did medifast, and it works if you stick to the plan. I never made it to maintenance, but they do have a maintence plan where they introduce more food back into your diet.

All that being said, it's very costly. I do prefer the CICO method, it's free and it's more sustainable than medifast was for me. I like to be able to eat what I want and just make sure I stay in a deficit.

Good luck to you!

I know I'm making assumptions here but if you didn't make it to maintenance this wasn't a sustainable plan for you I'm guessing. And therefore it didn't work.

I'm guessing you didn't read the next paragraph that states exactly what you felt the need to point out to me ...
  • teefabian22
    teefabian22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No.

Why no?

• teefabian22
    teefabian22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Good luck to you!

Thank you!! What is CICO?

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Good luck to you!

Thank you!! What is CICO?

Calories In/Calories out. The very basis of weight loss. If your Calories In are more than your Calories Out, you will gain weight. If they are less, you will lose weight.
    This applies to every single way of eating/diet/product/shake/pill and potion.
  • kommodevaran
    edited June 2016
    Options
    No.

Why no?

Where shall I begin? This goes for every pill, shake, tea, plan, whatever:

It's overpriced. It provides too few, or unnecessary few, calories. It implies that you have been bad, because eating is bad, and that you now have to make up for your sins.

It takes away the joy of eating and the social and cultural aspect of eating.

It doesn't teach you how to eat to maintain weight and good health, how to make good decisions; quite the opposite, it vilifies food, and coddles you into believing that there's something "wrong" with you that is out of your control - your hormones, genetics, age, it varies, but today's scapegoat - or that you've been eating "wrong" food" - gluten, carbs, fat, whatever is demonized at the moment. It creates some kind of mystery out of weight gain - makes you believe that you NEED this product, and that it's EASIER than the "hard work of counting calories" and takes away the "guesswork of portion control"; implying that eating should be fast and not to be given any thought - this actually encourages mindless eating, which is part of the problem for people who have bad eating habits. It claims, through quasi-scientific-sounding lingo, that it's not about calories in/out (CICO), so your overeating, the real problem, never gets addressed.

In short, it's a form of sustained learnt helplessness. It leaves you in fear and in a childlike state, where you let someone else tell you what to do. It takes away your freedom of choice, and this is something I find fascinating, as modern Western societies, and especially America, is all about independence, individuality, and following your dream.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    No.

Why no?

It's overpriced. It provides too few, or unnecessary few, calories. It implies that you have been bad, because eating is bad, and that you now have to make up for your sins.

It doesn't teach you how to eat to maintain weight and good health, how to make good decisions; quite the opposite, it vilifies food, and coddles you into believing that there's something "wrong" with you that is out of your control - your hormones, genetics, age, it varies, but today's scapegoat - or that you've been eating "wrong" food" - gluten, carbs, fat, whatever is demonized at the moment. It creates some kind of mystery out of weight gain - makes you believe that you NEED this product, and that it's EASIER than the "hard work of counting calories" and takes away the "guesswork of portion control"; implying that eating should be fast and not to be given any thought - this actually encourages mindless eating, which is part of the problem for people who have bad eating habits. It claims, through quasi-scientific-sounding lingo, that it's not about calories in/out (CICO), so your overeating, the real problem, never gets addressed.

In short, it's a form of sustained learnt helplessness. It leaves you in fear and in a childlike state, where you let someone else tell you what to do. It takes away your freedom of choice, and this is something I find fascinating, as modern Western societies, and especially America, is all about independence, individuality, and following your dream.

This. All of this.

3osxYcwi3hCVbzNYqY.gif

I nearly wept.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    No.

Why no?

This. All of this.

3osxYcwi3hCVbzNYqY.gif

I nearly wept.

Now YOU made ME weep :D