Citalopram and weight loss

Options
Hi,

I have been on 25mg citalopram since november, it wasn't much of a problem but as time goes on weight loss is harder and harder. Worst of it is my appetite has disappeared but even though i exercise i can't seem to lose.

Anyone else on anti depressants and trying to lose weight?
Anyone managed to make weight loss work on anti depressants?

Thanks

Replies

• nimbi
    nimbi Posts: 27
    Options
    I put on a load of weight on 40mg of citalopram. It increased my appetite like woah. I'm on 100mg of sertraline at the moment and my appetite isn't crazy any more and I'm slowly losing weight but I can tell my metabolism has slowed down.
  • talzybob
    talzybob Posts: 80
    Options
    I take amitryptylene (spelt wrong i think) which is an anti depressant, i have had no weight issues with it what so ever. your body may be to used to them, so talking to your doctor to change them may be an idea.

I would control your calorie intake to the exact amount your suppose to have each day if you can and try keep with your water intake.
    it is more helpful if you mix up your exercise each week as your body does get used to what you have been doing which then stops it from working as well.

if i thin f anything else or hear of anything i shall let you know
  • talzybob
    talzybob Posts: 80
    Options
    also the slower the metabolism the more likely you are to put on weight. you need to speed it up.
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    hi there, talk 2 ur dr & see if he/she can switch u to one that doesn't let u gain w8. Good luck
  • katie_rn
    katie_rn Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm on 25mg and haven't noticed a decrease in my appetite (it's always been good, despite anything!) but I have noticed putting on some weight since I started it 8 months ago, but its hard to say it was related entirely to the celexa. I'm hoping it maybe just takes a while to even everything out and then my motivation will return? not sure, but i'm glad you posted this bc i was wondering too :)
  • michalita
    michalita Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm on the same med, same dose, and lost weight just fine. I think I told myself that the medication caused my weight gain to avoid the real reasons: sheer gluttony and laziness. ;-)
  • jnb87
    jnb87 Posts: 4
    Options
    thanks for the support, i will stick with it a little longer and hope i start getting some results :D
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am currently on 20mg and have been since Janurary. I was on it before last year when I had all my weight gain, but I chalked my weight gain on my boyfriend being gone for two months in Mexico. I would say even though you don't have an appetite to try eating healthy foods and keep on working out and see if that helps. Maybe your body needs more fuel for it's efforts.
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Plus: There are a lot of side effects though, so I would speak to your doctor just in case. One of them is a low sex drive and I have had that sometimes but not always.
  • greatdaneaddict
    greatdaneaddict Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am on 30 mg of Citalopram and didn't notice that I put on weight because of being on it. I also have thyroid disease though and have a slow metabolism because of that. But it's my own fault I am chubby, and if I really put my mind to it, I can lose weight if I put in a real effort.