Best Workout Recovery Options?

Options
I've been finding myself extremely sore after every workout. Muscles feel weak, and it hurts to move. Is there a good natural way to recover faster so I can keep momentum? Am I deficient in something if I'm this sore?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary, but you haven't logged much recently.

Typically, soreness after every workout means either: you're doing too much (which has subsets of not enough Calories, too much volume, too much weight, not enough rest, etc) or you lack protein. That said, your Cal and protein goals look like they're probably fine. But, since you haven't logged, I have no idea if you're hitting your goals.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You don't mention what kind of workouts you're doing but if you're finding yourself extremely sore immediately after workouts you're probably overdoing it......

The best way to keep the momentum is to engage in workouts that are progressive but sustainable. It's perfectly normal to feel fatigued and a little uncomfortable, especially when you're fairly new to working out.

Don't rush recovery, that's when you're muscles are getting stronger and other physiological adaptations are going on.
  • aryseespieces
    aryseespieces Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been doing full body workouts with a trainer. Squats with weights, arms like lat pulls, and specifically targeted weight training for low back strength, abs, and hip leg strength ing with some rope flys (don't know name when you yank the heavy ropes?)

Don't remember ever being this sore but could be because I've never worked some of the muscles I'm targeting? Maybe it's a good thing but just looking for any recovery options out there? Is there a food I could eat? I vitamin I could take? Etc.
  • aryseespieces
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I took a look at your diary, but you haven't logged much recently.

Typically, soreness after every workout means either: you're doing too much (which has subsets of not enough Calories, too much volume, too much weight, not enough rest, etc) or you lack protein. That said, your Cal and protein goals look like they're probably fine. But, since you haven't logged, I have no idea if you're hitting your goals.

You're right, haven't logged much. I've been using another app but heard I can sync with MFP. I'm just starting up after a couple of months. I'll make sure I keep track of logging but hard to adjust again
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have been doing full body workouts with a trainer. Squats with weights, arms like lat pulls, and specifically targeted weight training for low back strength, abs, and hip leg strength ing with some rope flys (don't know name when you yank the heavy ropes?)

Don't remember ever being this sore but could be because I've never worked some of the muscles I'm targeting? Maybe it's a good thing but just looking for any recovery options out there? Is there a food I could eat? I vitamin I could take? Etc.

How many days are you doing full body routines?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I'll assume that, since you are working with a trainer, you are properly warming up, cooling down and stretching for your routines. In the beginning, you will be sore. This soreness should abate during your next warm up, and be less sever thereafter. You might want to talk with your trainer about your issues ;-)
  • aryseespieces
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

How many days are you doing full body routines?

>> at least 2 or 3 times a week
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If you are new to exercise, it is normal to be pretty sore the day after a work out. Getting enough protein is really important for muscle recovery as is staying hydrated. To calculate your protein needs take your current body weight and multiply by 0.8. On rest days when I'm really sore, I go for a light walk then stretch and foam roll. Epsom salt baths are great as well.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sleep and food are your best bet.
  • mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you are new to exercise, it is normal to be pretty sore the day after a work out. Getting enough protein is really important for muscle recovery as is staying hydrated. To calculate your protein needs take your current body weight and multiply by 0.8. On rest days when I'm really sore, I go for a light walk then stretch and foam roll. Epsom salt baths are great as well.

This is really a great list Julie...if I can add one thing to it, sometimes wearing compression garments helps. I'm really shocked your trainer would push you so hard that your are (to use your words) extremely sore. I'm curious did he do a movement assessment on you before he designed exercises like loaded squats or using battle ropes (I only assume that;s what you mean by yanking ropes)
  • HulkInfantry
    HulkInfantry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sleep and food, you arnt getting enough nutrients and rest to recover from the tearing of the muscles.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I use Vega Sport Recovery Accelerator . And Their plant based Protein Powder .

But I'm going to agree with the others here. If your THAT sore after a workout I would question the form.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    active recovery. keep moving and massaging the sore muscles.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Sleep and food are your best bet.

I would agree with this, but I would also add foam rolling, stretch and/or yoga can also support. I foam roll currently and it really works out some of my issues (helped when I had sciatica issues).