100 calorie workout?

Options
Maria_Fatima
Maria_Fatima Posts: 238 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
There's this really popular "100 calorie workout" consisting of 40 jumping jacks, 30 crunches, 20 squats and 10 pushups.
How much does a person have to weigh for these to burn 100 calories?

Edit: I got twice as confused when I saw that this is a pretty easy workout, but when I try to put them separately in MFP, it amounts to like, 50ish calories. That's a whole 100% difference..

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    That's probably a 6 minute net workout (meaning no breaks between exercises). I burn about 150 kcal on about 35 minute on such type of workout, thus it would probably be around 25kcal. Female, 125lbs, 5'65
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You would have to do those over and over for quite a while to get close to 100 calories! Like someone else said - that might be 10 minutes worth of exercise. No one is burning 100 calories in 10 minutes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Do it for 20 minutes straight. That'll get your 100 calories burned.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't know, but I don't know if I could do 40 jumping jacks without dying, LOL.

But it's still not burning 100 calories!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's 100 total reps but unlikely to be 100 cal burn, as stated above.
  • yirara
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't know, but I don't know if I could do 40 jumping jacks without dying, LOL.

Sorry, but energy expenditure has fairly little to do with how difficult it is for you but mostly with the weight (body or weight) you move in a certain direct (horizontally or vertically) and maybe a tiny bit of friction or resistance. Thus 40 jumping jacks would pretty much burn the same amount of calories for you and a twin of you who could do them in 30 seconds.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    100 calorie workout?

30 minute walk
    5 km bicycle ride
    17 flights of stairs
  • Maria_Fatima
    Options
    Yesss, that is extremely exaggerated! Thanks a lot for putting things in better perspective.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I figure about 80-100 calories per mile, or 250-300 calories per hour of moderate paced walking, or low impact aerobics. I agree with everyone else that the "100 calorie workout" is probably more like 25-35 calories.
  • yirara
    Options
    I figure about 80-100 calories per mile, or 250-300 calories per hour of moderate paced walking, or low impact aerobics. I agree with everyone else that the "100 calorie workout" is probably more like 25-35 calories.

There's an equation published in various papers that quantifies calories expenditure for running and walking.
    Running is around 0.67 x weight in lbs x distance in miles
    Walking around 0.3 x weight in lbs x distance in miles
    (note: these are net calories. The calories you'd burn anyway just for existing are not included. But those are part of your MFP calorie budget anyway)

It's higher for running because you use more muscles and because running includes a 'jump' where you fight against gravity and have no feet on the ground.
  • Maria_Fatima
    Options
    Thank you so much yirara, that's really helpful!