Does Anyone Not Actually Calorie Count?

Options
Hey Guys! So after not using this app for a while for a few reasons I have decided to come back to it! When I was first on here and using it all the time I was really getting into it, I loved the support ect.. but then the calorie counting just became to much for me and let's just say it was messing my head up, I was becoming obsessed with it and wouldn't eat a single thing unless I knew how many calories it had in ect .. But it was getting pretty stressful! I think the calorie counting option is great and probably the whole point of this app but I just don't think it's for me because let's face it I'm not going to continue the rest of my life counting and weighing every single thing I eat! I've come back on this app because I love the support and everyone is so lovely and seeing other people's progress and statuses motivates me

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    There are other ways to stay at a deficit or at maintenance or gain weight for that matter. You don't need to calorie count.
  • sachasalviax
    sachasalviax Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I find it less stressful to measure and log than to wonder if eating a piece of cheese will put me over my calorie goal. That doesn't mean that I never miss a day, but my grand plan is to measure and log for life.
  • sachasalviax
    Options
    Yeah I just can't do it I became way to obsessed with it and it wasn't doing me any good.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Op, check this website out. This is sort of what I do

http://www.nosdiet.com
  • sachasalviax
    Options
    Thanks a lot ☺️
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm just using a spreadsheet now, to plan meals and log as I go. I don't count calories anymore, but I learnt a lot from it: Not just how calorific different foods are, but what appropriate portions for me are, what foods keep me satisfied and energized, and what it's supposed to feel like when I've had enough, and conversely, that it's no big deal to feel a little hungry sometimes. I now know that consistency is key, but that I don't have to eat exactly the same amount of calories every day - it evens out. What I do and eat most days is far more important than occasional off days. I understand that one day - or even one week - won't distroy all my effort, but every day is a new chance to make good choices for myself. I'm also in charge of my own decisions.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for almost six years and now I don't count or log when I am on vacation, or when I eat out (friend, family or restaurant), unless the information is listed in the restaurant website. I don’t estimate my food intake. That is how I keep my sanity and control my obsession.

A couple of years ago I got fed up with the whole thing and closed my account for six months and I did very well and kept my weight between my lower and upper maintenance limits. I am not a foodie, I don’t have a sweet tooth and I don’t binge and that was a big help. I returned because I wanted to keep better track of my macros hopping to do a recomp.

Interestingly, when I was not involved with MFP, I still weighted or measured my food and followed the package’s information but the fact that I was not logging gave me a tremendous freedom but also personal responsibility.

There are many people already in maintenance that are not weighting or logging their food in a consistent way and they seem to be doing well. You have nothing to lose (except wt.) by trying. If you have doubts or start adding lbs came back and log for few weeks to see what are you doing wrong or need to improve. Good luck!
  • sachasalviax
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!'
  • Emijanine
    Emijanine Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do portion control containers!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't count. Lost and maintained just fine without it. It was very handy way back years ago to get an idea of how much I was eating & where my calorie bombs were. But after that I just eat, eating should be one of the most stress free things a person does.
  • mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Rybo...right on! Logging food should be just one of many tools in your toolbox at the beginning of a weight loss journey to see where you are but the problem is, people obsess over every single number. And here's a twist for you...for all the calorie counting you do, those numbers are often wrong and by as much as 25%.

Sachasalviax...you know if you are gaining weight or losing weight so if you want to lose weight, just eat a little less than you are now and choose from a variety of healthy fruits, veggies, proteins, healthy fats and whole grains. More often than not, if you just control your portions then you are good to go. so ditch the calculator, spreadsheets and equations. Like @rybo said...eating should be stress free
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't track anything.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting doesn't have to be obsessive and attempting to get accuracy down to the last calorie.
    When logging I tend to estimate a lot of things, use generic entries (a banana, an apple....), average things out (5 cups of tea a day), scan and estimate portions and only bother with accuracy over calorie dense items.

I find I can maintain weight effectively without calorie counting at all but counting (in a lazy logging style) helps when I want to drop weight.

Having said that I think a short spell logging accurately is incredibly enlightening and educational over how calorie dense some things are and real life portion sizes.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have never and would never track and have maintained for years.
  • myfightforfitness
    myfightforfitness Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Heya I totally understand what you mean I also use this app for the great support system! I don't count calories, never have and I've lost 59lbs so far. :)
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I don't meticulously track calories.
  • Joerugger1978
    Joerugger1978 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't count at all. I just pay attention to my foods I take in. Eat healthy foods at moderation and there will never be a problem.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I counted religiously for awhile, and learned to have a pretty good feel for how many calories I'm eating.

The fact that I eat pretty much the same things every weekday makes it easier as well.

Someone above mentioned "portion control containers." That's a pretty good description of what I use. Most of my food is cooked in bulk, and then I weigh it out, package it, and freeze it.