Am I Too Obsessive About This?

Options
Not too long ago, I logged in gum to my diary (8 calories). Is this being too obsessive about calorie counting?

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    My vote is yes, but if it keeps you more accountable then do what you need to do! I don't log in my sugar free creamer and I still lose weight!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I think it is okay. You have to be diligent to find out exactly where the calories are coming from and how many calories you are actually taking in. I think the main reason many of us are overweight is we just have no frickin' idea how many calories we are stuffing down our throats every day.

Once you have that info in place you can start to tweak your diet so you can achieve your calorie goals without being too starving all the time.

Knowledge is power. I think you will find you can relax a bit after you start losing pretty successfully.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    your fine its w/e works for u cause i bet u dont just have one piece of gum just keep at it
  • catrac
    catrac Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    By logging it you are being 100% honest!
  • projectcosplay
    projectcosplay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It doesn't hurt. But I never put in little candy like that...I also don't put when I walk around my apartment or walk to the bathroom in either which probably counter acts the 10 cal tic-tacs I ate.
  • ai965
    ai965 Posts: 118
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really need to stop worrying about whether or not I am worrying too much.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I am 50/50 on this because we log stuff like gum but do we log all the seasoning we put in food? I guess its just up the person...Do what you feel is best for you...Its when you start to being really depressed about logging everything is when its a problem..Stay motivated!
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    I don't really worry about logging things under 10 calories anymore but when I first started I was a lot more obsessive about it. I think it really helped teach me at the start what was in things and be able to adjusting my eating habits better. As you get further on though and know what you limits are I would say it shouldn't be necessary any more unless it makes you feel better about your progress.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It depends on how many pieces you chew. :) It's amazing how 10 calories here and 10 calories there can add up so it's not a bad thing.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    if you have to ask that question, the answer is usually yes...

at the start, you do have to, to make sure you haven't hidden 100 calories here or there. but once you are on a roll with it, you just know what's right. i don't count calories much anymore.

mine works out to roughly

Breakfast 300
    Lunch 400
    Dinner 400
    and snacks / drinks whatever to cover my exercise calories
  • ai965
    ai965 Posts: 118
    Options
    I am 50/50 on this because we log stuff like gum but do we log all the seasoning we put in food? I guess its just up the person...Do what you feel is best for you...Its when you start to being really depressed about logging everything is when its a problem..Stay motivated!

I usually don't log anything like seasoning, but I do with condiments. Things like ketchup, relish, BBQ sauce, and mayo add up quick!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think it's too obsessive. :) I like logging stuff even if it's only a couple calories (like veggies) just because I like to be able to look back and see everything I ate, not just the stuff that had more 'important' calories, yknow?
  • litecoffee
    Options
    I don't think it's too obsessive, I do the same thing! :)

~Angie
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Gum? Nah. It adds up sometimes. Just don't freak about it. :)

I realized I was being too obsessive when I had irrational thoughts about possible calories in my shampoo. I feared they would leak into my head.... I think I lost it for a few weeks. Back on track now, though. Lol.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    yes and no.

yes because if you feel you have to run home or write down every stick of gum you will go crazy
    but no because we tend to under estimate our foods, their sizes and the amounts and times we eat by a lot. Stir the sauce take a taste, test the noodles, lick the spoon when baking your kids brownies....you know what i mean....et the last nugget off your kids plate and then you say...I'm not going to have towrite that down for pete's sake it was 1 nugget.

and then all the other litle "tastes" yo didn't write down can add up and do you in/

but if it is just gum and you are honest with yourself that it is just gum....skip it...you probably burned the damn calories off just chewing it!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I personally log everything, and I don't think I'm being obsessive, just exact and careful! If you chew more than one gum a day, it can definitely add up.
  • ttrotter1960
    Options
    Depends on how much gum you chew. If you chew 10 pieces of gum a day that's 80 calories with no nutritional value to add for the calories. If it's only an occassional thing then probably yes. I would not have personally logged it.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I guess the bottom line is this: do you find calorie logging stressful/ a chore? If it's stressing you, yet you're still doing it down to a T, then you might want to cut yourself a little slack (just not too much). Not because it's an obsession, but because you're doing this to be happy/ happier. We all are.
  • gandydancer
    gandydancer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    No I don't think so, you just like to see the total of things, I am the same way. I am new but am discouraged, I haven't lost an ounce and I am staying just under the 1200 calories, I don't understand it. I have been in here for 10 days. Any help?
  • randomartisrgirl
    Options
    I personally don't think it is. I did, and it helped me realized that I chewed so much that it added up calories that I could have easily used for something more nutritious and filling.