calorie counting and appetite

Options
Hi All,
I've been a member of MFP for a while but I haven't been faithfully active in quite some time. A little over a year ago I was struggling to lose the 30lbs I had gained. I was in a wedding and that pushed me enough to lose about 12lbs but when the wedding was over I gained it back...plus another 25lbs.

I'm trying again very hard to reset and get my weight down to where I feel happy and healthy. I have recently joined a gym and have been taking spinning classes twice a week. I actually look forward to these classes and I have now added on another class, body pump, which is a cardio weight-lifting class. My goal is to work out at least 3 days a week.

My real question for all of you is how have you retrained your body in terms of being hungry. It's no secret how I gained weight. I ate a lot of food and most of it was not healthy. I've always had a big appetite. I just feel hungry all the time but I believe it's just habit and I'm not sure how to break that habit. When I feel hungry I first drink a big glass of water just to make sure it isn't thirst.

What's worse is that although tracking calories is helpful, I also find it discouraging. For example, today I tracked my entire day (until dinner) into MFP to see where I am at:

Breakfast - whole grain English muffin with a tablespoon of peanut butter
morning snack - 1 light string cheese and a serving of grapes
lunch - two skinless chicken breast tenders with whole wheat penne and less than a quarter cup of the lowest sugar pasta sauce I could find (2grams) and just plain basil/garlic. Not a meat sauce or a whole lot of "stuff" in it.
afternoon snack - organic fruit fig bar

After it's all said and done I am left with 265 calories left for dinner. Now, I am taking a spin class tonight so I know that will afford me a a bit more but I'm not working out like that everyday. And to be honest, I haven't felt totally full or satisfied after any of my meals or snack today. It's just depressing that while on paper my food choices appear to be wise and healthy and yet I'm left with so little for dinner. 265 calories at dinner would leave me starving by 9pm...and that's when snacking rears its ugly head.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OP first of all buy you a food scale. As you are using measuring cups and spoons - this is a bad bad idea at the calories number you are working with to loose weight.. and especially when logging cups of pasta and even the chicken tenders can be less or more than you logged.

Secondly, is over 350 calories in pasta really how you want to spend those calories? Even the chicken tenders which you logged were 3 and not 2 tenders, did you make a diary error?.

You can believe it or not stretch 1300 - 1400 calories to be a lot more food if you want to add more lean meats, fruits and veggies, basically choose voluminous foods that will keep you fuller longer instead of calorie dense foods like the pasta.

It is thinking smart in terms of your calories.

If not, exercise to give your self more every day, perhaps if not a spinning class just a walk after dinner.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    double post.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    As above, switching out starchy carbs can be a way to get a lot more volume and therefore feel like you are eating a lot more. I don't have pasta often, just not worth it. If I have bread it's one slice or currently I have discovered skinny bagels so I have bread if I fancy without all the calories. I love adding sliced banana to my peanut butter on toast (and I'd weigh that peanut butter by the way, a tablespoon is a tiny amount and one of the most commonly underlogged items).

Protein and fat are the basis of everything to me then I throw in some veg and the remainder will be the of bit of fruit (purely because I'm not a big fruit eater) and always always make room for treats!
  • gozothebest
    gozothebest Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hunger can be irritating expecially when craving arise. I lost 25kg 3 yrs ago and gained 10 back till last week. I admit im on and off diet and i find it hard to get back on track. Im a person who adore chocolate and bread which both leads to weight gain. Thankfully im back on track.and this week i already lost 2.8kg. My trick to hold on to hunger is talking to myself. When i feel hungry i say to myself "Yes!!!! The scale is going down" multiple times for my mind to register it and if still i can cope it i go and wash my teeth or make a cup of black coffee without sugar
  • Thr33N1N3
    Thr33N1N3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    More protein and fat, and keep busy. :) Only thing I did that works for me.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Your menu would not keep me full, but it might work well for someone else. While MFP is a calorie counting site, but I firmly believe you will have long term success only if you learn how different foods affect your appetite and health. If you're hungry, those foods aren't working best for you.

I feel most satisfied if I have eggs for breakfast. I need the protein and fat. Some people feel best with oatmeal or the choice you made today. Experiment with some different things to see what works for you.

Fruit, all fruit, makes me sick, shaky and absolutely ravenous for the rest of the day. Some people think an apple is super filling. Obviously, fruit and low fat cheese isn't doing it for you. I'd probably add something with a bit of fat and protein.

To that chicken breast, try sautéing or roasting a cup or two of vegetables (zucchini, eggplant, peppers, yellow squash, mushrooms, onions, etc) in a couple teaspoons of olive oil. Then cut the pasta serving down a bit and add more sauce to the chicken, pasta and veg. Sprinkle a tablespoon of parmesan cheese on top. In doing that, you can eat about the same calories, but have twice as much food. And a bit of fat in there may keep you satiated longer.

Also, make sure you aren't going too low in calories. If MFP says to eat 1200, that doesn't mean you have to. You can have 1400 or 1600 or whatever works with your metabolism and activity level.

Mostly, I'd add more fat and protein, and I'd bulk things up with lower calorie vegetables.
  • jackslovely
    jackslovely Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1200 a day give or take an extra 100 and I hardly ever fill hungry. Breakfast is usually an homemade egg mcmuffin for about 260 calories and lunch is a huge salad( about 260-330 calories) with lots of veggies, sometimes protein, small amount of cheese and a reasonable dressing...Boathouse farms has yogurt based dressing for super low calories and dinner is protein, veggies, and a starch( only 2-3x a week and anywhere between 330-400 calories). I also leave room for a mid morning snack of about 100, think greek yogurt or weighed cheese and deli meat. So on average i eat 1090 and then have a glass of wine to get me to that 1200 goal.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Especially at the beginning, some days are just hungry days.

Definitely get a scale. It makes logging so much more accurate! Most especially for calorie dense foods like peanut butter and pasta.

Agree with the others about incorporating more vegetables. Besides nutrition, veggies are low calorie and filling. You can really bulk out a meal that way.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of carbs, and not much in the way of fat or protein. That would leave me starving too. Look at your protein and fat as minimums, get enough fiber, and then you can fill in the rest with carbs. I find starting my day with a couple eggs, having a big salad with some meat, cheese, and full fat dressing for lunch, a snack of almonds and cheese (the real stuff, not low fat), leaves me feeling very sated throughout the day, with plenty of calories left for a good sized dinner, and possibly a dessert.
  • MrsPadrona
    MrsPadrona Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Adding more protein and fiber to your diet will keep you fuller for longer. Looking at your diary, you are heavy on the carbs and starches which are "burst" foods (they keep you full for a little bit but burn off pretty quick)
    As someone else mentioned, planning your eating meal out a few days in advance and measuring your food with a scale is VERY helpful.
    You can do this ... Keep trying!
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    between the bread for breakfast pasta for lunch, and more fruit than veg, i'd still be hungry too! Those are quick sources of energy for your body, but not long lasting. The fig bar - i'm guessing that's calorie dense - you could have a bigger snack for fewer calories and make more room for dinner.
  • HappierMe1023
    HappierMe1023 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks times a million for all of the words of wisdom and advice. Key things I am taking away are to buy a food scale and to concentrate more on proteins and fats. I'll admit that as easy as it seems just to count calories, I'm eating up more of my allowance (no pun intended) with the carbs. Here is my rationale which I'm fully aware may be the wrong way to look at it.

For me, like many, I adore carbs. Eating a ton of carbs, sugar and fat is what got me to where I am today. I like most vegetables but they have always been a side, not the bulk of a meal. I feel (and this is probably trained) that I'm only satisfied after a meal if it's been carb heavy.

I will definitely focus on adding more protein, fiber and good fat in place of the carbs. I am also trying to limit the amount of dairy I consume. After my last physical, my doctor informed me that my bad cholesterol was a bit high and recommended keeping saturated fats and dairy to a minimum. This is very hard as I love cheeses and yogurt. I've never been big on milk but have switched to almond milk. I have also started using Smart Balance butter in place of the real deal.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi All,
    After it's all said and done I am left with 265 calories left for dinner.
    You can go a long way with 265 calories. Cook 5 ounces of cut up chicken breast in a T of olive oil. At the end, toss in 2 ounces of spinach until it's bright green and little wilted. Serve it on a smaller plate or in a smaller bowl. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste. Your workout will earn you a snack later. Tomorrow, eat less pasta and more veggies.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I monitor my hunger. If I'm getting physiologically hungry during the day, that means I need to use some of my calories for morning and/or afternoon snacks. If I get physiologically hungry in the evening, that means I need to save some of my calories for a post-dinner snack.

Psychological hunger's a different matter. That's a matter of finding something to do if I'm bored or anxious or tempted to eat for some emotional reason. I need to do some self examination and ask myself: why do I feel a desire to eat something when I'm not really hungry?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It takes a while for us to get used to eating less, but we do adapt fairly quickly. Some great answers already above, my best tip is to get lots of protein and a good amount of fat - both are satiating. Drink water, that really helps. Alot of the time we think we are hungry when its really thirst.